Print 

Author Topic: Router died? Nope! A New Lesson Learned!  (Read 685 times)

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
Router died? Nope! A New Lesson Learned!
« on: November 21, 2008, 11:57:15 AM »

Hey!  Guess what?!?

I'm NOT posting a Technical QUESTION about a problem I had, I'm posting AN ANSWER to a problem I had!

Last night, just as I was going to bed (2AM PST), son seeks me out and mentions that "the network is down."

I spend a good half-hour trying to hunt things down, but am stumped by conditions that I've never seen before:

One of my routers (on one of my subnets, the main household one) seems to be acting LIKE A SWITCH!?!

All the IP addresses that I get from it are in the wrong subnetwork! (They're from one level down....)

I give up, tell him "Tough luck for you and your Late-Night 'run & gun' playmates. I'll look at it tomorrow..."

So this morning I pull out the router and take it to my test bench with all its "spare parts*."

...Everything works fine.  :bang:  :bang:  :bang:

So I take it back to it's spot and plug it in, and notice something: The front lights aren't displaying as they did on the bench. They're not correct. Instead of showing connection for the WAN and the one LAN connection - as it showed at the bench testing correctly, ALL the lights are light, and are staying lit continuously!

BOY am I glad that I noticed that difference!!! ... Because it gave me a "EUREKA" moment that would have taken HOURS more to figure out!:

The wall-wart had gone bad!  (The modular power supply transformer/electrical cord combo thingy.)

I had NOT taken the in-place power device with me for testing, and instead used the still-new one that was in the "parts" box!

Sure enough, when I replaced the "bad" one with the spare... VOILA!  Everything was fine again! I'm back in multi-subnet heaven again!

:yesyes:

So the reason I'm posting this story here is to share my new-found lesson with y'all: :Words:

When investigating a failed electronic device ALWAYS CONSIDER THE POWER SOURCE as a potential source of the problem too!
(Even/ESPECIALLY when it seems IMPOSSIBLE to cause THAT kind of problem!)  :siren:

:interesting: When I buy a router that I like/meets my needs well, I always BUY TWO OF THEM so I have "parts" to keep it going for a long time. Right now I'm actually on the "replacement" (last chance) router itself, as the original one worked for 6 years and finally died this past April....

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline Tåndêm

• Senior Poster
Re: Router died? Nope! A New Lesson Learned!
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 11:00:31 PM »
The day you actually post a question will be the day the LHC finally dooms us all.
Congratulations!
If you see this signature on a recent post, you've spotted an elusive Tåndêm!
You are not eligible for an award because I have no money, however you are free to have bragging rights.

Print