Print 

Author Topic: Any Lawyers in town?  (Read 2526 times)

Offline ºReFº

• Senior Poster
Any Lawyers in town?
« on: November 23, 2008, 07:41:44 PM »
I have a Culminating Performance Task coming up in Law class is the next little while. I have to take a look at a case that has been handled by the Supreme Court of Canada, take it and make an appelant and respondent factum acting as the lawyer.

I don't know which case I'm doing yet, looking for someone with law experience that might be able to give me some tips on which case I could choose and which facts I should concentrate on when I chose the case.

Thanks,
~ ReF
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 03:45:42 PM by BFM_ºReFº »

Offline ºReFº

• Senior Poster
Re: Any Lawyers in town?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 03:45:52 PM »
BUMP

Offline Filla

• Senior Poster
    • A Racing video I made.
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 04:01:51 PM »
Good luck.

Offline zetlandpeat / {HM}Zet

• Regular Poster
  • The Vikings are Coming - Up Helly Aa
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 09:23:27 AM »
Mmm, I would think a simple case with a slight but easily explainable twist, I assume you need to demonstrate YOUR understanding etc....

Civil Law is interesting but criminal law tends to be physical assault or possesional assault, sadly in UK the latter has some of the higher sentences.

You can difigure someone and get a year, or burn an mt building down and get 15.

Anyhow GOOD LUCK

Now I know who to pracice my latin on

multum in parvo
'But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked.
'Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: 'we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.'

TALL SHIPS RACE COMES BACK TO SHETLAND

I would like to be a glowworm, a glowworms never glum, it`s hard to be downhearted when the sun shines out your bum.

Offline ºReFº

• Senior Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 05:25:10 PM »
Alright, if any of you want to research by all means. I am doing the appealant factum for the R. v. Hufsky case. We have a RIDE program in ontario (Reduce Impaired Driving Everywhere). They set up random check spots where they stop EVERY car and if they see a u-turn, they chase. Now, Hufsky rolled up to the RIDE impaired, was given a breatlyzer and failed the breathlyzer. Anywho, he took it to the supreme court arguing that under s.8 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedom states that no one should be subject to unreasonable search or seizure. He claimed that the RIDE program was against his rights because they had no reasonable cause to stop him. However, the judges agreed with Hufsky saying that the stops did infringe on his rights, however under s.1 of the Charter any judge can overrule and claim that the rights infringment was in the best interest of society. The judged did this and said that this program does save lives. Hufsky lost and was charged with D.U.I. I'm not going to provide a link but if anyone wants to help me out all you have to do is search R. v. Hufsky on google.

Thanks guys,
ReF

Print