Print 

Author Topic: Getting fonts to work with The Gimp  (Read 4554 times)

Offline Plixity

• Posts Too Much
  • I'm in your base, killing your mans.
Getting fonts to work with The Gimp
« on: August 28, 2007, 05:14:35 PM »
Hey guys.

I was wondering how I'd go about getting a certain font to work with The Gimp. The font is a .TTF, which is what most fonts are, right? Ah well, I'd give a link to where you can download the font, but if you veer away from that page it contains profanity, so I won't post it... PM me for it if needed.

Thanks,
Plixity.

Offline AR~H@ngm@n

• Posts Too Much
  • ~Got rope? No worries, I brought enough for you~
Re: Getting fonts to work with The Gimp
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 06:14:25 PM »
There is also .otf type fonts. 

Definition: Developed jointly by Adobe and Microsoft, OpenType fonts technology is an extension of the TrueType font format but also can contain PostScript data. OpenType fonts are cross-platform, the same font file works under both Macintosh and Windows Operating systems. This digital type format offers extended character sets and more advanced typographic controls. Like TrueType, a single file contains all the outline, metric, and bitmap data for an OpenType font. Although any program that supports TrueType fonts can use OpenType fonts, not all programs can access the full features of the OpenType font format at this time.
OpenType fonts install in the same manner as TrueType fonts and co-exist peacefully with TrueType and PostScript Type 1 fonts.

My question to you is:  Where are you placing the font file?  They should go under the C:\WINDOWS\Fonts directory in order for Windows to see them.  However, GIMP may have a different location that it looks for fonts.  I know when I use Adobe Photoshop, the default location is C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Fonts.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 06:19:58 PM by BFM_H@ngm@n »

Offline Plixity

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 08:35:37 PM »
I put them into C:\WINDOWS\Font.
I'm not sure if Gimp has another place for it, but I'm not sure at all... =\.

OH! OH! OH! I found a font section in the gimp area. I'll see if that works...  :?:

I found it in:

C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\share\libwmf\fonts...

*hope*...

*hope* is crushed :AOL:

Weeellll, it isn't working. I have no clue...
« Last Edit: August 28, 2007, 08:43:38 PM by BFM_Plixity »

Offline freddd

• Senior Poster
  • W()()tsauce
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 03:02:21 PM »
If you put it into your C:\WINDOWS\Font folder, it should work. You probably have to restart in order for it to work though. I don't think putting into the Gimp font folder does anything, but I dunno.

Feijoa Freddd

Offline Neeox

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 05:01:33 PM »
Is this the only font that isn't working when you place it in the fonts folder, or the only one you tried?

Offline Plixity

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007, 04:56:45 PM »
I have put them in the C:\WINDOWS\Font folder, and it works for everything but Gimp, which is why I tried the Gimp's font folder.

Neeox, I put 6 different fonts in there, all .TTF. None of them are currently working.

Offline Neeox

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2007, 12:57:51 AM »
Hm ok then.
Well from what i know (if it is right), the only fonts that can be plugged straight into Gimp are Adobe Type 1 Fonts and they need to be added to the Gimp fonts folder like the one you found:
"C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\share\libwmf\fonts..."...

The only thing i could really suggest is ask for help on a Gimp forum, this is a good one:
http://www.gimptalk.com/forum/board.php

Print