Print 

Author Topic: No text  (Read 10364 times)

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
Re: No text
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2008, 10:29:21 PM »
Not mine, I'm just a PackRat, is all:

Quote from: daigoro board=tech thread=1140986511 post=1141000683
Attribution

OK, I found the following with a google search on "halo chat font change how do you". I had to use the google cache, so perhaps the original page is gone.

Here ya go, hope it works:

Want to change your halo font color? Then read this tutorial.

Go into your halo folder, mine is C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Halo and look for the folder called content, open it up and you should see lost of un-recognised files called 576editbox,480log... etc.

These are the resolution sizes that your ingame text is stored on so if you want to change the text of 800x600 resolution, you would need to go to 600log and if you want to change the resolution of 1024x768, you would need to go to 768log and so on. Double click on the file and it will say it doesn't know the file extension, just choose open with selected program and choose notepad. Open it and it should bring up a box something like this...

Now you can start doing some tweaking to the text. Lets start with the color, at the moment it's set at ffffffff which is white. You have to use HTML (hex code) code to change the color but heres a link to a color code:

(Edit: I have used the chart on the link and made one out of it below I made it just in case the site ever goes down, and so it's easier to access for dial-up users.)

e.g. replace ffffffff (white) to ffff0000 to make your text full red. (iiRRGGBB, ii= intensity?)

To change to text size just change the values, and to change the font, do the same thing. Only certain fonts work but i use 'comic sans ms' and that font is cool and seems to look good at 1024x768 res.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you wanted to you can move the text around the screen to where you want it and how many lines you want the text to be. The default is 8 lines and you can't make it any longer but you can make it shorter. I would just experiment with things, that's what i did to find things out and what each item does.

You can change the edit box (the thing where you type your message when you push 'T' to talk to other players) but i wouldn't bother.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline Volley

• Posts Too Much
  • You Just Got Served...
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2008, 11:08:25 PM »
I tried changing to your suggest color, but it still shows nothing. I'm going to try chaning the placement of the text. What's weird is that I played a few weeks ago and everything was fine. When I came back this week to play, all the text vanished. I hadn't changed anything, so I had no idea what or how to fix it.

my placement is :

left="5" top="450" width="1024" height="180"

~Former 1st Lieutenant - 2008

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2008, 12:37:36 AM »

First off, I don't think I've seen a post about you (re)installing the Microsoft XML redistribution.  Have you done that?

Also, in my version of my previous post I would've/should've included the suggestion that you make a COPY of each/every file that you plan to alter to have as a backup in case something goes wrong. That way you can just copy back the original contents to "undo" everything.

Do you happen to have copies of the original files around?

If not, you can extract them from your Halo CD inside the X:\FilesCab\Cab6.CAB folder and replace your existing, modified ones with the "originals." (Note that "X" in the path above is the drive letter for the CD/DVD drive into which you place your Halo CD....)

Hopefully that's your problem. (If it's not the XML handler....)
Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline Tåndêm

• Senior Poster
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2008, 10:35:15 AM »
the 768 file. It goes by the second number.

I use 640x480 (because I get vidlag otherwise) so I would edit the 480s.

I haven't touched my 768s, therefore. PM me an e-mail address and I'll zip em up for ya
Congratulations!
If you see this signature on a recent post, you've spotted an elusive Tåndêm!
You are not eligible for an award because I have no money, however you are free to have bragging rights.

Offline Volley

• Posts Too Much
  • You Just Got Served...
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2008, 12:55:28 PM »

First off, I don't think I've seen a post about you (re)installing the Microsoft XML redistribution.  Have you done that?

Yup, I did, but it didn't seem to change anything. I went to my 768 file and the text I had there before had not changed.

And yeah, I probably should keep copies of the original. I just hadn't thought of it b/c I didn't think anything like this would happen if it worked fine and I didn't alter it.

EDIT: and Mxy, when I went to look at the "X:\filesCab..." I realized the Halo icon wasn't showing in Windows Explorer. Then I also realized that my Halo CD is not in my disk drive. Apparently I've been playing without my CD. Do you think that has anything to do with it?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 12:58:29 PM by Volley »

Offline BFM_JANE

• Major
  • Despite the cost of living, it remains popular.
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2008, 01:15:33 PM »
The new patch allows you to play without the disc in. You just have to install with a good CD key and you're set.

Dunno what to tell you about the text problems!

Offline Volley

• Posts Too Much
  • You Just Got Served...
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2008, 02:43:33 PM »
oh ok, thanks Jane. Just another hopeful solution scraped off my plate of problems...

Offline Filla

• Senior Poster
    • A Racing video I made.
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2008, 02:48:05 PM »
woot!
Did you get it fixed?

Offline Volley

• Posts Too Much
  • You Just Got Served...
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2008, 07:45:04 PM »
..no. I still don't know what the problem is or how to fix it.

Offline BFM_JANE

• Major
  • Despite the cost of living, it remains popular.
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2008, 08:50:24 PM »
Stupid question: Have you reinstalled? :P
I think there is an option to "reinstall". You would want to uninstall and then install again. Worth a shot.

Something similar to this happened to me before. I don't remember it well but when I clicked on the shortcut, in game I had no text, just a dark gray bar when I pressed T.

Have you tried starting the game from the actual file thing? I don't know what it's called! C:/Program/blah/blah/Halo. That's what worked for me, ran it from the actual thing and when it worked, got rid of the old shortcut and replaced it. I don't know what happened to cause the problem in the first place.

It probably won't work but nothing else is either so it's okay.

Offline Volley

• Posts Too Much
  • You Just Got Served...
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2008, 09:38:28 PM »
okay guys, I'll give you something more bizarre. I just unstalled everything and (re)installed it but the installation won't complete. At the en, it keeps saying that there is a problem with the map icefields. "HaloSetup has encountered a disk error while writing to the file C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Halo\maps\icefields.map. Make sure your hard disk is not full, and that the file is not in use."

Well considering Windows Explorer was the only thing open at the time (considering I was just checking my hard disk space), I am really confused why this is happening. I can't even ask for the file from another person b/c it won't let me complete the installation. Gosh Jane, I follow your advice and I can't play at all now!  ::) jk, I love you!  :hug:

Offline Tåndêm

• Senior Poster
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2008, 09:40:29 PM »
When was the last time you ran Disk Defragmenter?
Congratulations!
If you see this signature on a recent post, you've spotted an elusive Tåndêm!
You are not eligible for an award because I have no money, however you are free to have bragging rights.

Offline Filla

• Senior Poster
    • A Racing video I made.
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2008, 09:46:57 PM »
instead of uninstalling, try restore corrupt files, its right below were you click uninstall.

Offline Volley

• Posts Too Much
  • You Just Got Served...
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2008, 09:53:16 PM »
instead of uninstalling, try restore corrupt files, its right below were you click uninstall.

Uninstalling was actually my last plan. I had reinstalling (thus restoring corrupt files at the same time), but that didn't work either.

When was the last time you ran Disk Defragmenter?

What is that? My disk has more than 75% free space, if that's what you're talking about.

Offline Goalie

• Posts Too Much
  • Congrats Jordan Lynch, 3rd place in Heisman!!!
    • York Set/Tech Crew
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2008, 10:23:27 AM »
Disk defrag is different.  Go to Start Menu > Computer > Right-click your hard drive, select properties > Tools Tab > Defragment Now.  Click Analyze and it will tell you if it needs to defrag or not.

But since you have 75% free space left, I highly doubt you need to do this.  Usually only becomes a problem when you have less than 25%.
You blame me?  Remember it had to get past 10 other players before I saw the ball.

Thanks to Spidey for this sig!                                                                                                                  .

Print