Print 

Author Topic: No text  (Read 10365 times)

Offline Volley

• Posts Too Much
  • You Just Got Served...
No text
« on: December 11, 2008, 06:10:50 PM »
Anybody have any idea why my text doesn't show up at all in-game?
When I first loaded Halo and didn't see the "Welcome....", I assumed it was just text lag. But then I didn't see any game chat when the scores came up and I realized something was wrong when the next game started up and there was no text. (Especially at the beginning of infinity, you know you see a lot of text there!) Any help would be appreciated.  ;D

~Former 1st Lieutenant - 2008

Offline Tåndêm

• Senior Poster
Re: No text
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 07:18:31 PM »
Have you been messing with your KSML files?

Change your screen resolution to something, and connect to a server then, see if you can see your text.
Congratulations!
If you see this signature on a recent post, you've spotted an elusive Tåndêm!
You are not eligible for an award because I have no money, however you are free to have bragging rights.

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 08:08:56 PM »

Is your monitor plugged in?

Are you wearing your glasses?

Offline Filla

• Senior Poster
    • A Racing video I made.
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 08:11:49 PM »
Mine does this with Halo CE, So I dont play it, if I ever fix it I will let you know how.

Offline Slow Bullet

• Junior Poster
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 09:05:06 PM »

Try going into the halo program folder, go into the subfolder "redist" and there should be a file called "msxlmenu.msi".  people have said that works so try that out.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2008, 09:17:03 PM by Slayer 117 »

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 09:46:44 PM »

Try going into the halo program folder, go into the subfolder "redist" and there should be a file called "msxlmenu.msi".  people have said that works so try that out.

Yes, this (re)installs Micro$oft's XML support, which is used for the in-game chat window text.

Note that if you've used programmatic means to alter your Halo in-game text this still might not do the trick!  I've seen several instances where the person ended up having to do a nuke & pave just to get their Halo text back after using some of those text-altering programs....

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline BFM_Hydra

• BFM Admin
  • BFM Rules Guru and Forum Pwner.
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2008, 01:49:22 AM »
^

What Mxy said exactly. If you use those font editors they can remove your text completely. MadWho made an excellent guide on how to fix it though :)

BFM_Hydra Signature: Miser
Soccer Trophy: Igor
Scrim Season VII Trophy: H@ngm@n

Thanks guys!

TESTIMONIAL
"Hydra knows the forums like a spider knows it's web." - BFM_Jimmy 5/9/09

"Hydra, 300 posts to you is like pocket money to the Monopoly guy." - BFM_Jimmy 11/9/09

Offline Filla

• Senior Poster
    • A Racing video I made.
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2008, 08:39:27 AM »
Still didn't work for me, and whenever I open halo CE, then close it on x fire it says im playing halo CE when im not.
Only way to get it off is if I restart my computer, and I cant exit x fire and reopen, its still there when I log in.
I believe halo CE has a virus or something is going wrong with it.

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2008, 10:36:02 AM »
^

What Mxy said exactly. If you use those font editors they can remove your text completely. MadWho made an excellent guide on how to fix it though :)

Someone (with forum Admin priv's - >hint< >hint<  ;D ) should add the XML (re)install info to MadWho's Halo Text FAQ thread....

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline BFM_Hydra

• BFM Admin
  • BFM Rules Guru and Forum Pwner.
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 01:45:07 PM »
^

Someone (with forum Admin priv's - >hint< >hint<  ;D ) should add the XML (re)install info to MadWho's Halo Text FAQ thread....

Done :)

BFM_Hydra Signature: Miser
Soccer Trophy: Igor
Scrim Season VII Trophy: H@ngm@n

Thanks guys!

TESTIMONIAL
"Hydra knows the forums like a spider knows it's web." - BFM_Jimmy 5/9/09

"Hydra, 300 posts to you is like pocket money to the Monopoly guy." - BFM_Jimmy 11/9/09

Offline BFM_Skedog

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2008, 01:46:25 PM »
^

Done :)
lol, I was just typing it, O well. :P

BFM_Skedog

By priceslaytonv at 2011-03-05

Give a man a match and he will be warm for a few seconds, set him on FIRE and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

A GREAT leader has the ability to combine knowledge, passion, caring, and wisdom into a focused energy that perpetuates the desire to do GREAT in those who are following.

Offline Slow Bullet

• Junior Poster
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2008, 03:09:07 PM »

Yes, this (re)installs Micro$oft's XML support, which is used for the in-game chat window text.

Note that if you've used programmatic means to alter your Halo in-game text this still might not do the trick!  I've seen several instances where the person ended up having to do a nuke & pave just to get their Halo text back after using some of those text-altering programs....

I knew i was a computer wiz! lol i might be better at computers than Mxy!   yeah right!

Offline Tåndêm

• Senior Poster
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2008, 10:14:35 PM »
Still didn't work for me, and whenever I open halo CE, then close it on x fire it says im playing halo CE when im not.
Only way to get it off is if I restart my computer, and I cant exit x fire and reopen, its still there when I log in.
I believe halo CE has a virus or something is going wrong with it.

Before you restart next time, if XFire still thinks you're playing CE and you aren't, check your Process List (<CTRL> + <ALT> + <DEL>, Processes Tab) for "haloce.exe" (or whatever it calls itself). If it's in there, THERE'S YOUR PROBLEM. XFire detects if the process is running, it doesn't detect if it's just hanging in the background not exiting, or you're actually playing it. (This happens to me all the time while playing TF2, HL2 or any other Source game - hl2.exe doesn't exit and XFire still thinks I'm playing!)
Congratulations!
If you see this signature on a recent post, you've spotted an elusive Tåndêm!
You are not eligible for an award because I have no money, however you are free to have bragging rights.

Offline Soz 0wned U

• Senior Poster
  • ^ Back When It neared 1000.
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2008, 02:40:31 AM »
Sometimes its just your internet..

-22/4/09-

Offline Volley

• Posts Too Much
  • You Just Got Served...
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2008, 08:47:53 PM »
I have never used the font editor that Madwho posted but I still would like to know the default settings for the KSML files. And how do I know which screen resolution to edit if I have 1024 X 768. Do I edit the 1024 file or the 768 file?

~Former 1st Lieutenant - 2008

Print