Print 

Author Topic: Say Hello to my little SP1?!?  (Read 3380 times)

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
Say Hello to my little SP1?!?
« on: August 29, 2007, 12:11:54 PM »
Hey, just what you Vista users have been waiting for!  The Beta rollout of Vista SP1!!!

Highlights:

- 3-phase release of SP1 Beta: 15,000 partners, "a larger - private - group", then "some of the general public." (?!?)

- Oh, it's ~684MB in size, 1+ GB for Corporate users (on DVD)

- It adds 7-12GB to your System partition!

- It contains:
    * Reliability and performance updates
    * Administrative improvements
    * Newfound support for some of the newer standards

Can you say "BLOATWARE?!?"  :doh:

GL wit dat, folks!  ;D

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline Slanzinger

• Regular Poster
  • Wakka wakka wakka Saturn wakka wakka...
Re: Say Hello to my little SP1?!?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 12:18:00 PM »
What, it uses 7-12GB on your disk to add a few admin features and reliability/performance? The 20MB set of patches I download for XP claims to do that same thing!
Bloatware indeed. Perhaps there's an undocumented feature there: Perma-Clippit - appears in any situation, stating the obvious:
"Hey! It looks like you're writing a letter!"
"Hey! It looks like you're playing a game not made by Microsoft! Would you like to: A) Stop playing, B) Leave this message and let me crash it for you?"
wakka wakka wakka Saturn wakka wakka wakka...

Offline Ediseye

• Posts Too Much
  • And t3h shark eatz itz
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2007, 01:53:13 PM »
http://zumzum-keepingitreal.blogspot.com/2007/08/windows-vista-sp1-review.html

Even though it's a blog, it seems to provide a lot mroe information.

SP1 should do a lot more than the three things you listed Mxy. :o :banjo: :cop:

;D
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 02:04:26 PM by BFM_Ediseye »

Offline Slanzinger

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 03:15:11 PM »
Ah, looks like the Vista Haters club is meeting again. Who brought chips?!
Not me. All I've got's an empty cup of tea, a pen which I'm chewing on, a champagne cork, a sealed Snickers flapjack that's been sitting there for the past month-or-so, and an LED torch. No chips, I'm afraid.

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 02:13:30 AM »
[...]
SP1 should do a lot more than the three things you listed Mxy. :o :banjo: :cop:

;D

Um, I just shortened or - in the case that you mentioned - cut & pasted those things DIRECTLY from the review that I linked.

Your review is quite technical, showing that, indeed the update contains a LOT of things, but it still doesn't seem that they're outside the three CATEGORIES that were given.

Seems like it's stuff that should've been in there in the first place, to me, too....

...There's Vista Haters club?!?!  Why bother!  It's so easy to do on one's own!!

Offline Neeox

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 02:29:38 AM »
What, it uses 7-12GB on your disk to add a few admin features and reliability/performance? The 20MB set of patches I download for XP claims to do that same thing!
Bloatware indeed. Perhaps there's an undocumented feature there: Perma-Clippit - appears in any situation, stating the obvious:
"Hey! It looks like you're writing a letter!"
"Hey! It looks like you're playing a game not made by Microsoft! Would you like to: A) Stop playing, B) Leave this message and let me crash it for you?"

That sounds like something that they would do.
Either way go back to XP, Vista really isn't worth the trouble. I remember back when i bought it.. was all excited, now im too the point where a sledgehammer is about to land on my computer. I'm not even going to bother with the SP1.

Offline Slanzinger

• Regular Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 02:47:11 AM »
And apparently they've announced Windows 7 (no name yet) for possible release in 2010...

But I've read this in PC Advisor (October 2007 issue), and it's quite interesting:
"Rumours of an imminent Windows Vista Service Pack 1 roll-out have been blamed on a typo in a Microsoft email... The [Windows Driver Kit] team has since revealed it meant to refer to Windows Server 2008, not Vista, in the original email. The updated email said: '...We didn't mean to imply or cause any confusion on the availability of the Service Pack for Vista...' "

Offline Ediseye

• Posts Too Much
  • And t3h shark eatz itz
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 04:27:15 AM »
Heres another little review for the service pack 1.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_sp1.asp

:munch: :cop:

Offline BFM_Chaindog

• BFM Admin
  • F☼rum M☼derator
    • Hades Star:  Stargate Corp
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 11:31:29 AM »
Naw, that wouldn't make sense to have a SP1 for Server 2008 when it isn't quite implemented thoroughly yet.   :toughguy:
"May you never cheat, lie, steal, or drink....if you must cheat, cheat death..if you must lie, lie in a loved ones arms...if you must steal, steal kisses...and if you must drink, drink with us yo!"

NOTE:  I've currently returned from serving in various Middle East combat zones.  Wow, just realized how many years I've been hanging with BFM, since near the beginning!  :Chaindog:

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 05:30:45 PM »
And apparently they've announced Windows 7 (no name yet) for possible release in 2010...

But I've read this in PC Advisor (October 2007 issue), and it's quite interesting:
"Rumours of an imminent Windows Vista Service Pack 1 roll-out have been blamed on a typo in a Microsoft email... The [Windows Driver Kit] team has since revealed it meant to refer to Windows Server 2008, not Vista, in the original email. The updated email said: '...We didn't mean to imply or cause any confusion on the availability of the Service Pack for Vista...' "

Sounds like rumors about rumors to me!

MS said long ago they'd have an SP1 around this time, so I'm convinced - esp. given the details!  (SOUNDS just like Micro$oft to me! ;) )

BTW: Something's come up and I'm going to HAVE to learn all about Vista now.  :-[  ???  :'(  :siren:  :ssj:

(So don't be surprised if all of a sudden I stop posting here for a long time or somethin'!  :o )

Offline BFM_Chaindog

• BFM Admin
  • F☼rum M☼derator
    • Hades Star:  Stargate Corp
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2007, 07:57:50 PM »
 ^^! :munch: ^^!
"May you never cheat, lie, steal, or drink....if you must cheat, cheat death..if you must lie, lie in a loved ones arms...if you must steal, steal kisses...and if you must drink, drink with us yo!"

NOTE:  I've currently returned from serving in various Middle East combat zones.  Wow, just realized how many years I've been hanging with BFM, since near the beginning!  :Chaindog:

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2007, 08:50:08 PM »
Those guys look just like your avvy, Chain!

;D

...Oh, and Server 2008, too....  :doh:

Print