Print 

Author Topic: *fixed*Who tripped the alarm?!! i guess i did  (Read 6149 times)

Offline BFM_MiG

• Captain
  • мigεẅiвгo
*fixed*Who tripped the alarm?!! i guess i did
« on: December 28, 2008, 05:20:06 PM »
while playing any full screen games and other programs, WoW, Halo and some games and even iTunes, set off an alarm in the PC itself. it doesn't come from the speakers. my brother thinks it's the processor that is getting overloaded (the pc temp isn't raising at all). nothign different happens with the PC, it still goes the same speed and doesn't get hot. i never heard of a computer doing this before and was wondering what and why this maybe happening.

its getting to the point of :AOL: :AOL: :AOL: :AOL:

Also...

i have a really nice media pc that i think if i put my Halo and WoW on a portable 100GB hard drive that it would work, was just wondering if you guys think it would (i will soon add the specs that it has). the media pc isn't made for gaming (hence the media part) but im hoping it will still work.

any help is most appreciated!

thanks all,
MiG
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 03:05:47 PM by BFM_MiG« »

Offline Ediseye

• Posts Too Much
  • And t3h shark eatz itz
Re: Who tripped the alarm?!! i guess i did
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 06:00:17 PM »
Uh...alarm? Is it like a beep or a few beeps within the computer itself? If so, we'll need the model of your motherboard and the manufacturer. To obtain this, follow these steps:

1. Go here to download CPU-Z (1.49)
2. Once downloaded, extract all the contents, and run cpuz.exe
3. Once it loads, go to the third tab, titled "Mainboard"
4. Take a picture of this screen (Print screen button, paste in paint, save, upload to image hosting site such as ImageShack, post the picture here)

I'm personally guessing that the motherboard is detecting an issue like the graphics card or processor not being seated properly, and the speaker on it is working as a diagnostic device, attempting to tell you what s wrong with it. (DO NOT attempt to reseat any device in your computer yet though. No idea if that's it or not) A lot of newer motherboards do this with a screen that shows numbers for errors. Other than it coming from the motherboard speaker, I don't have too much of an idea of what the "alarm" is really.

Can you provide a more detailed description of the "alarm" sound?

As far as the portable hard drive goes, it depends at what speed it spins at. If it goes at a speed of 7,200 RPM, you should be fine I think. But if it's a slower speed like 5,400 RPM, you'll be noticing pretty slow speeds, especially in WoW. The only thing, I BELIEVE you would not be able to do, would be to take the hard drive to another computer and use the game on there. Registry settings wouldn't be there I don't think. Might want to wait for someone else on this though, as I have never installed a game on a external storage drive.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 06:13:46 PM by BFM_Ediseye »

Offline BFM_MiG

• Captain
  • мigεẅiвгo
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 07:28:30 PM »

most likely out of date.

as far as the alarm itself....

it comes from within the PC and goes kinda like a bee(high pitched) boo(low pitched) bee(high pitched) boo(low pitched)  and repeats

Offline Ediseye

• Posts Too Much
  • And t3h shark eatz itz
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 07:47:27 PM »
Thanks for the information.

I attempted to look up the user manual for your motherboard, and the ABIT site is down stupidly. Universal Scientific Industrial, who purchased ABIT, is shutting down the motherboard division of the company at the end of this month. Oddly enough, I can't even access the site for ABIT, nor can I find a manual for your motherboard elsewhere.

So, I guess I don't have an answer right now. For testing purposes, you could remove your graphics card, and plug it back in, seeing if it works. You could also do the same thing for your processor, though I wouldn't recommend that you since you're not the savvy one, lol. For all I know, it could even be your power supply that isn't supplying enough voltages at +12V, +3.3V, or +5V and your motherboard is trying to tell you that through the speaker on it.

At this point, I've got nothing. Stupid ABIT site.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 07:51:06 PM by BFM_Ediseye »

Offline BFM_MiG

• Captain
  • мigεẅiвгo
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 07:54:30 PM »
Thanks for the information.

I attempted to look up the user manual for your motherboard, and the ABIT site is down stupidly. Universal Scientific Industrial, who purchased ABIT, is shutting down the motherboard division of the company at the end of this month. Oddly enough, I can't even access the site for ABIT, nor can I find a manual for your motherboard elsewhere.

So, I guess I don't have an answer right now. For testing purposes, you could remove your graphics card, and plug it back in, seeing if it works. You could also do the same thing for your processor, though I wouldn't recommend that you since you're not the savvy one, lol. For all I know, it could even be your power supply hat isn't supplying enough voltages at +12V, +3.3V, or +5V and your motherboard is trying to tell you that through the speaker on it.

At this point, I've got nothing. Stupid ABIT site.

lol

thanks for the advise you have given me so far, i have been checking out tech support forums and it seems like im not the only one who has had this problem, the majority of the forums say to check my BIOs and see if it is a temp thing (im totally brain farting on how to check my BIOs, i only did it once before and that was 2 or 3 years ago -epic fail-) so pretty much im gonna try everything you and the other forums has suggested.

btw when the alarm goes off i just close down WoW and the alarm stops, dont know why i didn't say this earlier (maybe i did and am forgetting  :winkgrin:)

Offline Tåndêm

• Senior Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 08:14:18 PM »

it comes from within the PC and goes kinda like a bee(high pitched) boo(low pitched) bee(high pitched) boo(low pitched)  and repeats

Ho boy.

Whatcha got there, my friend, is called "Bad Beep" (as in "BAD BEEP! BAD!"). It usually means your motherboard's on it's way to the great computer in the sky.
Congratulations!
If you see this signature on a recent post, you've spotted an elusive Tåndêm!
You are not eligible for an award because I have no money, however you are free to have bragging rights.

Offline BFM_MiG

• Captain
  • мigεẅiвгo
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 08:15:35 PM »

Ho boy.

Whatcha got there, my friend, is called "Bad Beep" (as in "BAD BEEP! BAD!"). It usually means your motherboard's on it's way to the great computer in the sky.

gosh durnit! lol if that is the problem i have no problem getting a new one (i think :eyebrow:)

Offline BFM_saes

• BFM Admin
  • oops....
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 09:43:42 PM »
I'm quite certain that the ambulance beep is an overheating CPU rather than a dying motherboard.

See this link for some Award BIOS beeps.

"Either the CPU is not seated properly or the CPU is damaged. May also be due to excess heat. Check the CPU fan or BIOS settings for proper fan speed."

Offline Ediseye

• Posts Too Much
  • And t3h shark eatz itz
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 10:12:54 PM »
I'm quite certain that the ambulance beep is an overheating CPU rather than a dying motherboard.

"Either the CPU is not seated properly or the CPU is damaged. May also be due to excess heat. Check the CPU fan or BIOS settings for proper fan speed."

So, either the heatsink isn't correctly in contact, the fan isn't working properly, or the CPU needs reseated.

MiG, you could try messing with it yourself, but if you are not computer savvy, then DO NOT touch your processor. Simple things done wrong could mess it up. So, have your brother do it if he knows how.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 10:18:19 PM by BFM_Ediseye »

Offline Tåndêm

• Senior Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2008, 11:42:56 PM »

The last time I heard that beep, my motherboard died a week or so later.

But if it's listed on a BIOS beeplist, it could be both.
Congratulations!
If you see this signature on a recent post, you've spotted an elusive Tåndêm!
You are not eligible for an award because I have no money, however you are free to have bragging rights.

Offline Glêññ Z

• Senior Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2008, 12:51:32 AM »
i'm not sure of ur cp type but i was fixing some windows 2000s and i didnt put the ram in all the way so it made a iritating beeping from inside. i'd see if that could possibly be it.

warning do not slide any cp parts pick them streat up or you will damage them.

sry for my sp, i'm tired and going to bed

~Glenn

Offline BFM_saes

• BFM Admin
  • oops....
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 03:39:57 AM »
i'm not sure of ur cp type but i was fixing some windows 2000s and i didnt put the ram in all the way so it made a iritating beeping from inside. i'd see if that could possibly be it.

The new ASUS board I've got does a Long-short-short beep for no (or badly sitting) RAM.
-- Long-short-short-short is the more common beep error for missing RAM.

Offline BFM_MiG

• Captain
  • мigεẅiвгo
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2008, 04:20:34 PM »
im looking into getting a bigger and newer power supply and getting some new fans for my computer.... idk if this will help my Halo lag issues i have been having but its a step closer. i still think my media pc will work fine for Halo but i would rather use my regular pc...

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2008, 11:50:27 AM »
im looking into getting a bigger and newer power supply and getting some new fans for my computer.... idk if this will help my Halo lag issues i have been having but its a step closer. i still think my media pc will work fine for Halo but i would rather use my regular pc...

So, um, does this post mean that your beeping (alarm) problem(s) is(are) solved??!?  ::)
Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline BFM_MiG

• Captain
  • мigεẅiвгo
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2009, 07:17:48 AM »

So, um, does this post mean that your beeping (alarm) problem(s) is(are) solved??!?  ::)

nope, didn't get my new power supply and fans yet, so my guess and check method isn't quite done yet, been busy with the holidays and working and forgot to look for new ones :XD:

Print