Print 

Author Topic: my servers won't work for other people  (Read 11646 times)

Offline Haunted

• Posts Too Much
    • ummm..
my servers won't work for other people
« on: January 05, 2009, 10:09:58 AM »
i was trying to make a stunt server for me and basanio, i set it up, started playing and basanio couldnt join it  :mad:

i can join other games its just people cant join my games. Can someone help please?
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 11:42:48 AM by BFM_Ben »

;D by me ;D

;D Thanks Hlao! ;D

;D Thanks Spood! ;D

Offline Haunted

• Posts Too Much
    • ummm..
Re: my servers work for other people
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 11:38:03 AM »
i wrote the title wrong

its supposed to say: my servers wont work for other people

can someone please change it?

edit: thanks Ben  :)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 11:45:33 AM by bfm_Blizard »

;D by me ;D

;D Thanks Hlao! ;D

;D Thanks Spood! ;D

Offline Fraggle

• Posts Too Much
  • Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional!
Re: my servers won't work for other people
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 02:53:38 PM »
We had this problem the other night with our 'shee race' server didn't we ice man? I couldn't find you in the gamespy lobby list. Then, I created a server and couldn't be found.

After that, I made a ctf server and then magically appeared in the list.

Continuing the run of bad luck later on..... I couldn't see Marty's server so I asked him for the direct ip addy and it linked up fine.

This whole thing is decidedly dodgy. :interesting:
Many thanks to BFM_MiG for the awesometastic siggy!!
Quote from: BFM_JANE
It's just like life! Except with more rockets!

~ӺƦ∂פ₲Ļĕ
Quote from: some random person somewhere
When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin.
It works not because it settles the question for you, but because in that brief moment when the coin is in the air...

...You suddenly know what you are hoping for!

Offline Còól

• Posts Too Much
  • Life is uncertain, Death is not
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 03:38:39 PM »
There is another possiblity, sometimes your internet provider will block a port. I had Cable internet thru a company called Charter and I made a server for a few of us to mess around It worked once. They detected it and blocked the port. They told me I wasnt on a plan that allowed for that but I could uprade to a better package if I wanted to. :pirate:   I told them no thanks. It all depends on who you go thru. That may not be your problem but it is a possibility. You could see my server but noone could join it.

BFM_CòóL IS CòóL!!! - Love, MiG

A CòóL ORIGINAL

If life has not scarred you, you have not lived it.

You Have All The Weapons You Need,
Now Fight!!

Ill give you a cookie if you can tell me what that last quote is from!!

Offline BFM_Skedog

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 06:31:24 PM »
take a look HERE
and scroll down to the part about Configure Your Network To Allow Internet <-> Server Communication, it is in dark blue :)

BFM_Skedog

By priceslaytonv at 2011-03-05

Give a man a match and he will be warm for a few seconds, set him on FIRE and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

A GREAT leader has the ability to combine knowledge, passion, caring, and wisdom into a focused energy that perpetuates the desire to do GREAT in those who are following.

Offline Tanger

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 06:45:58 PM »
Most people just need to open their ports when this happens. Pretty sure Mxy's post Skedog linked you to will explain that somewhere.

Offline Xelio

• Senior Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2009, 06:48:43 PM »
Ya i remember me trying to get in your server  :XD: it didn't work at all. I had to make a server

Applied for Recruitment - October 24, 2008

Vent Access - January 23, 2009
Little Tags - March 28, 2009
Big Tags - April 25, 2009
Left BFM - April 12, 2010

Offline BFM_saes

• BFM Admin
  • oops....
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 11:06:28 PM »
This is why I'm using DHT :)

No need to forward ports manually, because the router just forwards ALL ports to my PC. :P

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2009, 01:03:30 PM »
This is why I'm using DHT :)

No need to forward ports manually, because the router just forwards ALL ports to my PC. :P

...Even with DHT set up in the front end, that sounds ripe for a DDoS attack, to me....  ::)

But anyway... Blizzard has a problem we're still working on, and here's where we left off:

i was making a normal server, where you just make the game over the internet.

So you're NOT making a Dedicated Server, you're starting an "Internet" game INSIDE of Halo via "Multiplayer" -> "Internet " / "Create Game" then, right?

IFF ("if and ONLY IF") you are behind a firewall/router device try DISABLING any/all firewall software ON YOUR COMPUTER (the one on which you're starting the game) and then try to make a server.  Once you've made some tests to see if it works without any firewalls at work, REENABLE YOUR FIREWALL SOFTWARE IMMEDIATELY, then:

- If it WORKED with the firewall software OFF, then find out how to "allow/enable/open the necessary ports" for each software firewall you have enabled. (Leave them all of and enable/modify them each one at a time, checking each time to see that it now works again....) Once you've "allowed" the application/network traffic in all that software it should now work, OR...

- If having all your firewall software DISABLED didn't work, then you have not successfully opened the necessary ports through your firewall/router device. (You might want to get more detail on your network setup, and post a diagram/description of it - WITHOUT MAKE/MODEL # INFO, PLS! - here for me/us to debug.)

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline Haunted

• Posts Too Much
    • ummm..
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 01:21:13 PM »
yes i'm going through halo then multiplayer then internet blah blah blah... etc etc etc  :XD:

ok i turned off the firewall and tried again, with jim360 as my guinea pig testing it  ;D. And guess what. It still didnt work! trust me to be the awkward (is that spelt right?) one  :XD:

- If having all your firewall software DISABLED didn't work, then you have not successfully opened the necessary ports through your firewall/router device. (You might want to get more detail on your network setup, and post a diagram/description of it - WITHOUT MAKE/MODEL # INFO, PLS! - here for me/us to debug.)

what do you mean by this? sorry for being a pain...

;D by me ;D

;D Thanks Hlao! ;D

;D Thanks Spood! ;D

Offline BFM_saes

• BFM Admin
  • oops....
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009, 03:10:23 PM »
...Even with DHT set up in the front end, that sounds ripe for a DDoS attack, to me....  ::)
I've got a static dynamic IP address and have used DHT for months. Yet no one has bothered to DDoS me. Although, tbh, I'm sure that both my ISP and the router have other methods to stop such attacks.

But anyway... Blizzard has a problem we're still working on, and here's where we left off:
Basically, by implied suggestion, I was saying that it'd be a good idea to set up DHT. At the very least to test if it's an issue with port forwarding in the router. (Since no port forward rules + DHT = no router-'blocked' ports)

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2009, 10:45:48 PM »

So, Blizard.....

How's that going for you now?

::)

:winkgrin:

Offline Haunted

• Posts Too Much
    • ummm..
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 09:31:37 AM »
GREAT!!!!!!

thank you SOOOOOO much Mxy  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

you rock  :LOL:

;D by me ;D

;D Thanks Hlao! ;D

;D Thanks Spood! ;D

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2009, 11:29:38 AM »

FYI, for other folks:

I spent some time on vent with Blizard debugging his problem, and at its root it was two-fold:

1) He had used his INTERNAL, DHCP-device-assigned IP address (usu. recognized as being in the 192.168... range) instead of his ROUTER DEVICE'S WAN IP ADDRESS, and

2) He was port-forwarding to a DYNAMICALLY-ASSIGNED (DHCP) machine IP address inside his network.  (Port-forwarding ONLY WORKS TO STATIC IP ADDRESSES. [Okay, not literally true, but practically true....])

I only post this here because these are VERY common mistakes. (So I'll be beefing up the language in my thread about setting up Halo servers....  ::) )

Kudos to Blizard, tho: He was dealing with a pretty advanced router device... with an overly-modular/-complex interface for making the necessary setting changes! (Though PortForward.com was pretty-much right on the money, their instructions were actually misleading for novices the way they wrote them.  ::) )

« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 11:32:48 AM by MrMxyzptlk »

Offline jim360

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2009, 11:39:56 AM »

1) He had used his INTERNAL, DHCP-device-assigned IP address (usu. recognized as being in the 192.168... range) instead of his ROUTER DEVICE'S WAN IP ADDRESS...

Presumably that explains why, when blizard told me the IP address and I tried that it didn't work, and when I clicked on the gamespy link to the server it gave a different number entirely?
Check out my Short introduction... corner and my "Historical figures who should perhaps be better-known" thread!!

Exciting videos: 1.1 / 1.2 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6

Print