Print 

Author Topic: Science fair  (Read 3182 times)

Offline Xelio

• Senior Poster
Science fair
« on: January 06, 2009, 05:31:45 PM »
So i promised my friend that i would do the science fair with him (i don't want to do the science fair :P) but we can't think of any ideas. I'm in Middle School and i'm quite smart so i don't want something really boring... i looked all over the internet couldn't find any ideas so i thought i would ask you guys.

Thanks

Applied for Recruitment - October 24, 2008

Vent Access - January 23, 2009
Little Tags - March 28, 2009
Big Tags - April 25, 2009
Left BFM - April 12, 2010

Offline Rypto

• Posts Too Much
Re: Science fair
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 05:36:51 PM »
I did the science fair in 6th grade in middle school as well. I chose to do the topic of Friction. So what I did in my project was take 3 small toy race cars, and have different types of terrain. One track was dirt and rocky, one was concrete, and one was soil. Then demonstrate how the speed of the car varies in each track due to the various types of friction. The judges really liked it and gave me first place  ;D.

Offline ThE BrIcK

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 05:53:06 PM »
I went to tri-state with this project.

"How does the density of liquids affect Buoyancy" (I think)

Put eggs in different liquids of different viscosity and test to see if it floats or sinks.
BFM History
Application - 9/23/06
Little Tags - 2/17/07
Big Tags - 4/3/07
Corporal - 3/9/08
Sergeant - 8/15/08
Lieutenant - 9/27/08
Captain - 7/4/09
Resignation - 5/20/10

Offline BFM_Edison

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 06:30:58 PM »
Displacement times density determines the buoyant force, though you probably already knew that :P

Depends on what topic you want to do your project on, Xelio. Any specific area of Science? Also depends on what you think you can make in order to do the experiment.
52.87   60.07   46.40   72.73   68.23   55.10   98.27   84.73

Offline Miser

• Senior Poster
  • This is Jimmy
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2009, 08:49:39 PM »
While I've never entered a science fair, one of my friends with superior intellect entered with a robot that used Photo-sensors to follow a black line.

I recreated this project last semester and the robot itself cost $150 i believe : \

Although, I believe lego has something like this out now that might be cheaper.

In any case, I'm not sure if building the robot is science fair material.

Good luck to you and your friend :)

Offline Goalie

• Posts Too Much
  • Congrats Jordan Lynch, 3rd place in Heisman!!!
    • York Set/Tech Crew
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2009, 08:53:34 PM »
Yes.  Lego has a thing called Mindstorm, which you can make Lego Robotics.  There's several variations on the Mindstorm software.

I personally believe that a science fair requires a theory and all that stuff.  So you could make a robot, but it needs to do something that you can experiment and observe.

Of course, you could just do what everybody else does... :eyebrow:

VOLCANO! :dance:

I personally like the robot idea, you just have to apply the Scientific Process (I believe that's its name).
You blame me?  Remember it had to get past 10 other players before I saw the ball.

Thanks to Spidey for this sig!                                                                                                                  .

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 01:21:41 AM »

When entering a Science Fair to make an impression, my rule has always been "GO SIMPLE!" and impress people with the science already around them.

I learned this when I won a 6th-grade science fair with a topic titled "The Chemistry and Physics of Toast."

I did a detailed analysis and description of everything involved in what it takes to turn a slice of bread into golden brown toast.

Sounds simple, but when it's all said and done, the toaster's workings alone are quite impressive, but the chemistry of the browning process in the bread is over the top!

Look around you and find something simple like that and ask YOURSELF if you understand "how it works." If not, it'll make a great topic for a Science Fair!

GL!
Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline snowkiller

• Posts Too Much
  • The best team ever!
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 08:32:40 PM »
Of course, you could just do what everybody else does... :eyebrow:

VOLCANO! :dance:

my teachers use to say, that if we did a volcano then we would fail the project.     then comes evil laugh  :evil:

Offline Glêññ Z

• Senior Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 11:35:25 AM »
why not do copper plating, its fun  and you can test diffrent metals or coins in that matter to see wich one got the most copper on and explane how taking copper sulfade desolved in watter with an eletric current  copper plates your thing.

Offline carl

• Senior Poster
  • check out mista benny!!!
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009, 05:35:05 PM »
here try this.  i did this for a science fair. 

http://www.physlink.com/education/AskExperts/ae314.cfm
if you ask me to slow down when racing, then you are out of luck buddy. I AM AN AGGRESSIVE DRIVER!!! 
the fastest way to a point is a straight line, no matter the danger, i like to take chances, I AM A RISKY DRIVER!!!

Ok, let's get right to it.  DO NOT HIT YOUR COMPUTER AS CARL DOES

Offline BFM_Edison

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2009, 06:51:21 PM »
Mmmm, capacitors would be good if you have access to them and can understand the math.
52.87   60.07   46.40   72.73   68.23   55.10   98.27   84.73

Offline Xelio

• Senior Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2009, 04:03:22 PM »
OK well today was the science fair and i got second!!  :yesyes: We ended up doing the project Rypto suggested and we're now going to the our city science fair! (i live in one of the top five biggest city's in Canada this is going to be hard  :P)

Applied for Recruitment - October 24, 2008

Vent Access - January 23, 2009
Little Tags - March 28, 2009
Big Tags - April 25, 2009
Left BFM - April 12, 2010

Offline ati.radeon

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 05:14:10 PM »
Well I'm in middle school too. Fun experiments for me involve liquid nitrogen because my dad works for Air Liquide and I can get the stuff whenever. I did science fair (recquired) in 5th grade. I used liquid nitrogen to see if the size of onions affected how quickly it froze. Liquid nitrogen is perfect for fun experiments  ;D

Print