Print 

Author Topic: Setting up a new computer, Internet Connection issues (Solved)  (Read 742 times)

Offline BFM_SüprM@ñ

• BFM Admin
Setting up a new computer, Internet Connection issues (Solved)
« on: February 11, 2009, 03:04:05 PM »
Hi everybody, I recently (as in about two hours ago) got everything. I've already installed XP and I'm just having some issues connecting to the internet via my router. I'm not entirely sure what to do as it is what windows would call a LAN connection that is always on and doesn't require a username and password (to my knowledge). My ISP is Comcast and we have their cable connection. I haven't attempted contacting them because.... well they're comcast. So yeah, if anyone knows a way to do this without having to deal with the hassle of messing with the Comcast reps I'd really appreciate the help. -is off to do more research on the topic-

My Network Connections window is completely empty. I tried creating different connections but to no avail. After doing a bit more research I learned a bit about network adapters. While some sites said not having a network adapter on your computer can will cause this problem, others said that the blank network connections window could be caused by other things. -isn't sure and took a look at the inside of the computer- The Ethernet port is connected to the motherboard from what I saw. I'm not entirely sure what to do now.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 09:15:27 PM by SuprM@n »
Being a good racer in Halo isn't just about getting the best times. You have to know where your teammates and enemies are, and most of all... how to be crafty! XD -nods-

Oh... and "v.v" = sad face.

Props to Plixity for the first sig, Slayton for the Season XIII trophy sig, and Jane for the banner! Thx guys! ^.^

Applied for Recruitment: January 22nd, 2008
Received Vent: March 25th, 2008
Received Lil-tags: May 3rd, 2008
Resigned: May 15th, 2008
Re-Applied: June 16th, 2009
Re-Received Vent: July 25th 2009
Re-Received Lil-Tags: August 24th, 2009
Received Big Tags: October 5th, 2009
Promoted to Corporal: January 30, 2010
Promoted to Sergeant: April 19, 2010
Temp. Resigned: August 6, 2010
Returned: January 29, 2013

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
Re: Setting up a new computer, Internet Connection issues
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 04:22:33 PM »
Right click on My Computer, select Properties, look for Device Manager.  Look at Network Adapters.  Anything listed?

Go to your Network Connections, click on New Connection, then tell it you want to connect to the internet.  Then select the option to connect to a LAN.  Is that available?  You say it's completely empty.  Can you select File menu, New Connection?

Offline BFM_SüprM@ñ

• BFM Admin
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 04:38:13 PM »
From what I can gather there isn't a driver installed. I knew that there was a device manager, but I forgot how to access it. Thanks for reminding me Kiwi. I'm going to download a driver to an external hard drive and transport it to the other computer as well as make a copy of the driver currently installed on this laptop. Hopefully if one doesn't work, the other will. -crosses fingers-

Okay, I'm finding it almost impossible to find a site that only has the file for the driver that I need. Here's the info of the processor, computer, and I can't find anything on the motherboard.

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 3.0 Ghz

Computer: HP DC5000

Driver needed: Ethernet controller driver.

I will keep searching, but if you know of anything, please post.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 05:41:54 PM by SuprM@n »
Being a good racer in Halo isn't just about getting the best times. You have to know where your teammates and enemies are, and most of all... how to be crafty! XD -nods-

Props to Plixity for the first sig, Slayton for the Season XIII trophy sig, and Jane for the banner! Thx guys! ^.^

Offline BFM_SüprM@ñ

• BFM Admin
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 06:25:43 PM »
Okay, well I ended up figuring it out and d/l the appropriate driver from hp using my laptop, so I guess it all worked out. Thanks again Kiwi.

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
Re: Setting up a new computer, Internet Connection issues (Solved)
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 11:46:21 PM »

YAY, glad to hear it.

Print