Print 

Author Topic: HDD problems  (Read 6018 times)

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
Re: HDD problems
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2007, 09:57:56 PM »
You need to either/both

1) backup your system partition (for safety) to "free disk space" (on another drive, obviously....)

2) Run PartitionMagic's Partition check on EACH partition on that drive:

- Start PM, select a partiton on the target disk (start at left and go right-to-left doing each....), then select "Partition" -> "Check for Errors..." and the internal integrity checker will scan the disk for errors. (When/if you check the System partition it may require an auto-reboot....)

The backup is up to you, but run the check over until it reports no errors, then try using it on your system again....
Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline Taipan™

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2007, 06:19:43 AM »
is there a way to make PM bootable from a CD or DVD (btw which PM r we talking about, powerquest or norton????)

cuz the PM iam using only gives a feature to make a bootage floppy. This pc dont have a floppy drive

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2007, 07:13:04 PM »
My PowerQuest (now Symantec) PartitionMagic 8 CD IS bootable, to a DOS-based version that does pretty-much everything the Windows version does.

But that leads me to believe that you were running it IN WINDOWS and seeing the correct partition info?!?!  :o  ::)

« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 09:41:32 PM by MrMxyzptlk »
Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline Taipan™

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2007, 07:31:25 PM »

lol partition magic sees all when running it in windows, its just windows thats being the downer here, i will work on it more tonight and try to get it bootable

Offline ÞÛmª

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2007, 07:39:45 AM »
Have you tried using chkdsk? (yes, in windows) That may fix your problem... the command line one is easiest, something like
Code: [Select]
chkdsk C: /X /BReplace C: with whatever the drive is...
This will unmount then check it (takes a while...), when it finishes, unplug and replug...
If that doesn't work, there is someway to use the mount point... don't know the syntax though...

Print