Print 

Author Topic: HDD problems  (Read 6017 times)

Offline Taipan™

• Posts Too Much
HDD problems
« on: July 18, 2007, 05:54:15 AM »

i have a HDD problem it is not working (basically i just wanted first thread here)

i tested it on another computer and still the same problem, so right now iam stressing (i will wait til Myx has got this forum :P)

Offline BFM_BluAdpt

• BFM Admin
Re: HDD problems
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 01:24:50 PM »
First to reply... :-)

So, what was the problem that you have in both computers with the same drive?

Offline Kozmo

• Junior Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 07:41:03 AM »
Stop messin' with your settings.

Offline BFM_Chaindog

• BFM Admin
  • F☼rum M☼derator
    • Hades Star:  Stargate Corp
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 11:45:44 PM »
What are we/I?  Chopped liver?   :-*
"May you never cheat, lie, steal, or drink....if you must cheat, cheat death..if you must lie, lie in a loved ones arms...if you must steal, steal kisses...and if you must drink, drink with us yo!"

NOTE:  I've currently returned from serving in various Middle East combat zones.  Wow, just realized how many years I've been hanging with BFM, since near the beginning!  :Chaindog:

Offline Wízzßång

• Senior Poster
  • There's no place like ~/
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 09:47:08 PM »
What are we/I?  Chopped liver?   :-*

No kidding.  I guess Mxy is the only person qualified to answer any technical questions.

Even though he probably doesn't want my help, I'll offer it anyway. 

Can you be a little more specific about what "doesn't work"?

Is it not recognized?   Do you hear clicking noises when it powers on?

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 10:52:23 PM »
ROFL!

When last we left off, Tiapan, I had asked you to 1) stop mucking with the disk, and 2) describe it's current state....

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline timah_101

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 01:22:34 AM »
we cant help if you dont give us any details..... is it new? what does it do when you plug it in?

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 01:57:17 PM »
If I recall he has a removable HDD that looks all fine & dandy when connected to one machine, but doesn't show up at all when connected to another....

But he was mucking with its partition tables and all kinds of stuff - that I said he should STOP DOING! >hint-hint!< until we/I can ask him some more questions abotu the systems and the HDD before possibly destrying its partition table/backups!

So, Tiapan: What's the current situation, please?

Offline BFM_Hydra

• BFM Admin
  • BFM Rules Guru and Forum Pwner.
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 06:19:52 PM »
Isn't it TAIpan Mxy?

BFM_Hydra Signature: Miser
Soccer Trophy: Igor
Scrim Season VII Trophy: H@ngm@n

Thanks guys!

TESTIMONIAL
"Hydra knows the forums like a spider knows it's web." - BFM_Jimmy 5/9/09

"Hydra, 300 posts to you is like pocket money to the Monopoly guy." - BFM_Jimmy 11/9/09

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 01:27:40 PM »
Isn't it TAIpan Mxy?

Wow. Now my typos are getting quoted!

:bang:

;D

Offline Taipan™

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2007, 07:56:38 PM »
lol ok an update, soz for not replying

well i connected it to another computer and i got the same problem where it will show up on my computer but i can access the drive (giving the evil error message, can not read data may me unreadable or corrupted etc)

so since it didnt work on another computer the problem lies with the HDD

ok in my computer it says the name is Local disk (H), it is ment to be EXT HDD (H), so this corruption has changed the name of it, HOWEVER with the program PTDD it shows its name is EXT HDD and everything

so windows is not to happy with this HDD but the program is ok with it, however the program doesnt extract data (GAH)

the HDD is i think a Seagate 320GB 7200 (wont get exact model until i remove it from the EXT case)

i do believe the data is all still there, just the stupid thing is not windows happy, need to find away to make it NOT corrupted :Pand save the data (hopefully without having to give it to someone to fix)

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2007, 12:39:08 AM »
Wow sometimes it's hard to understand you, Taipan.  :-X

E.g. I'm TOTALLY confused how a "program" can read the right stuff IN WINDOWS, when Windows doesn't see it correctly!?!

Anyway, since/if you're sure that it's a problem with the HDD that is preventing Windows from seeing the partitions correctly, you're going to HAVE TO FIX IT OUTSIDE OF WINDOWS.  (I'm hoping that you already knew this, right?!?)

So, you're going to need something BOOTABLE to scan & fix it, and if you want to be REALLY safe, IMAGE IT BEFORE you try to fix it (any further.)

I use PartitionMagic for such things, but you can shop around to find any of many suitable utilities that can be BOOTED to once burned on CD that will image, or scan & repair a Windows-formatted, but damaged drive/partition.

Does that help you any?!?

Offline Taipan™

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2007, 08:19:20 AM »
ok i will give it a shot, i will remove the HDD from its external case and put it in the computer to make things easier

i dont think i can create an image of it cuz there just isnt another harddrive around here that can hold it all (being how this is a 320GB HDD and there is at most a 1GB free left on the thing)

well ive just downloaded me partition magic pro 8, i will give it a try
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i just did a quick scan (in windows) for any errors and i got 2 errors and a warning

Warning  "Upcase Table Incorrect, File 10 (128)
Error       "Too many Clusters" (lol i can fix that easy)
Error       "FRS not in any directory, File 3634-3634
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 08:38:14 AM by BFM_Taipan »

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2007, 12:17:44 PM »
Be sure to write down the VOLUME ID of your "system" drive before anything else happens! (All MS Windows OSs from XP-on use this serial # as a part of the "Genuine Advantage painful stuff....)

Get the Volume ID by openning a Command Prompt window, going to your System drive (usu "C:", of course) and enter

dir /p

The second line (from the top) will look like:

Volume Serial Number is XXXX-XXXX

Write down the "XXXX-XXXX" number for use with the program "volumeid.exe" which you might need to use (from a DOS-boot of your system BEFORE you boot to Windows...) if you have to recover your system partition from a backup.

P.S. You might be out of luck if PartitionMagic can't read the disk without repairing it first. (Since the repairing itself might mess with data on the disk....)  Hence my note about backing it up first. (IFF you can, that is!)

« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 12:21:32 PM by MrMxyzptlk »

Offline Taipan™

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2007, 08:59:10 PM »
ok partition magic can see and browse all the files on the HDD (cant copy and paste but i can delete things :P)

i can not back up because there is way to much data (havent got another harddrive that size and it would take aprox 68 DVD's)

volume ID of the C drive (its not the ext hdd, i cant get that) is A0B4-78A7, but thats useless since wrong HDD

Print