Print 

Author Topic: on board video chipsets *solved*  (Read 750 times)

Offline carl

• Senior Poster
  • check out mista benny!!!
on board video chipsets *solved*
« on: March 01, 2009, 01:17:51 PM »
hello,
if your MOBO has an on board video chip set but its a garbage one and you want to get a new graphics card to put in, can you like chose to turn off the on board chip set or like switch to the better card you put in. 
thanks for your help. 
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 12:43:39 PM by carl »
if you ask me to slow down when racing, then you are out of luck buddy. I AM AN AGGRESSIVE DRIVER!!! 
the fastest way to a point is a straight line, no matter the danger, i like to take chances, I AM A RISKY DRIVER!!!

Ok, let's get right to it.  DO NOT HIT YOUR COMPUTER AS CARL DOES

Offline BFM_saes

• BFM Admin
  • oops....
Re: on board video chipsets
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 06:37:02 PM »
Unless something is seriously wrong, you can turn integrated graphics off.

In fact, most boards require you to do so before the dedicated card is used.

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 07:20:53 PM »

Yes, you can always disable the on-board (usu. "Features") display device.

BE SURE TO FIND OUT WHAT KIND OF SUPPORT YOU HAVE for an add-in graphics card BEFORE you go out shopping for one, tho! (Possible types are: PCI(obs.), AGP(obs.), PCI-E (x1-x16, higher == faster).)

While you CAN find one of the obsolete ("obs.") types - even for under $50 - they're pretty old at this point, and might NOT be worth using as an "upgrade" from an on-board chipset...

If you post your Mobo brand & model I can find out what it supports, ans what graphics chipset it has....

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline carl

• Senior Poster
  • check out mista benny!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 12:43:14 PM »
hey, sorry for the late response
ummm i don't think the one i have has an on bard chip set because i know i have a dedicated graphics card.  (GeForce 7300LE) but i found it cheaper to build a pc with a ATXmicro mobo, which will suit my needs, and i didn't want the garbage on board stuff so i was just wondering.  but my question was answered.  thanks for all the help. 
if you ask me to slow down when racing, then you are out of luck buddy. I AM AN AGGRESSIVE DRIVER!!! 
the fastest way to a point is a straight line, no matter the danger, i like to take chances, I AM A RISKY DRIVER!!!

Ok, let's get right to it.  DO NOT HIT YOUR COMPUTER AS CARL DOES

Print