Print 

Author Topic: how come when a nade is thrown at a hog, it kinda "disappears"  (Read 3030 times)

Offline BFM_Ben1

• BFM Admin
wondering if anyone knew why this happens
sometimes if you throw a plasma grenade at a hog, it sticks, but then it doesn't explode
to me it looks like it simply disappears

hopefully someone knows  Embarrassed

b1

Thanks to Spood for this sig!

Awards won:

Aussie Scrims Team dStruct- Season VI Champions
Season 21 Captain Scrims- All Star
Season 21 Captain Scrims- Star Rookie
Season 22 Captain Scrims- MVP
Season 22 Captain Scrims- Most Improved
Season 22 Captain Scrims- All Star

Offline Fraggle

• Posts Too Much
  • Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional!
Re: how come when a nade is thrown at a hog, it kinda "disappears"
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 10:57:28 AM »
it is possible to 'shake off' a plasma nade.....

I presume the developers considered it pointless for it to be flung away and possibly stick to something else, so it just disappears.

hope this helps,

Fraggle
Many thanks to BFM_MiG for the awesometastic siggy!!
Quote from: BFM_JANE
It's just like life! Except with more rockets!

~ӺƦ∂פ₲Ļĕ
Quote from: some random person somewhere
When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin.
It works not because it settles the question for you, but because in that brief moment when the coin is in the air...

...You suddenly know what you are hoping for!

Offline =Rival=

• Regular Poster
  • Cymru am Byth! :)
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 11:07:47 AM »
Or, in my case, it bounces off the windshield and ends up on the floor ::)

Offline carl

• Senior Poster
  • check out mista benny!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 06:35:21 PM »
i lol when that happens
if you ask me to slow down when racing, then you are out of luck buddy. I AM AN AGGRESSIVE DRIVER!!! 
the fastest way to a point is a straight line, no matter the danger, i like to take chances, I AM A RISKY DRIVER!!!

Ok, let's get right to it.  DO NOT HIT YOUR COMPUTER AS CARL DOES

Offline ·WídgêT·

• Posts Too Much
  • Fail gun at your service
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 06:51:40 PM »
Usually what happens goes something like this...

Say you're trying to stick a hog coming towards you. You're throw will definitely not be from point-blank range so you try to throw it a good distance away. Now sometimes there will be what I call "glow lag." Basically what happens with me is that it will show the nade as hitting the hog, but because of either lag speeding up the nade getting there or lag slowing down the hog it misses in real time. What usually happens here is that there is a much larger blue light show then what you usually get when you sticky something. This is your first indicator that you missed. When the actual grenade explodes, the blue cloud disappears as well. Sometimes this phenomena happens when you actually DO sticky something, just in a different place. Like the blue light show is on the driver side door while the actual grenade is on the back bumper.

You get it sort of? It's all due to LAG(ish) :P

Thank you Tanger!

Not for wealth, rank, or honor, but for personal worth and character
Cheers, Marty!

http://8tracks.com/widget4nz
Check out my mixes and sign up for the site. It has yet to do me wrong

Offline BFM_Hydra

• BFM Admin
  • BFM Rules Guru and Forum Pwner.
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 09:32:44 PM »
Usually what happens goes something like this...

Say you're trying to stick a hog coming towards you. You're throw will definitely not be from point-blank range so you try to throw it a good distance away. Now sometimes there will be what I call "glow lag." Basically what happens with me is that it will show the nade as hitting the hog, but because of either lag speeding up the nade getting there or lag slowing down the hog it misses in real time. What usually happens here is that there is a much larger blue light show then what you usually get when you sticky something. This is your first indicator that you missed. When the actual grenade explodes, the blue cloud disappears as well. Sometimes this phenomena happens when you actually DO sticky something, just in a different place. Like the blue light show is on the driver side door while the actual grenade is on the back bumper.

You get it sort of? It's all due to LAG(ish) :P

Thank you Widget for writing this before I had to :XD:

It's all LAG!

BFM_Hydra Signature: Miser
Soccer Trophy: Igor
Scrim Season VII Trophy: H@ngm@n

Thanks guys!

TESTIMONIAL
"Hydra knows the forums like a spider knows it's web." - BFM_Jimmy 5/9/09

"Hydra, 300 posts to you is like pocket money to the Monopoly guy." - BFM_Jimmy 11/9/09

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 09:47:10 PM »

There is lag, where it looks on your screen like it stuck, but when the server catches everyone up it decides it missed...

But also I've noticed something else:  when someone seems to have stuck me but they've died as they did so (like maybe I ran them over as they stuck me  :roll eyes: ) then often the nade fizzles out.  I've also noticed when I've got a nade off, but then got rocketed and killed, the nade rarely seems to explode.  So I just wonder if there is some tolerance where the nade will "undo" if the thrower dies shortly after.

Offline BFM_DarkFyr

• BFM Admin
  • Forza Vale
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 12:26:41 PM »
I like to call them 'dud' nades. Always happens to me because i have a high average ping.

When I get a 'dud' nade thrown on my hog, it's always curiously larger and brighter than your usual plasma nade.

Don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but the 'dud' nade is your computer thinking you have 0 ping, but since you are in a server and you throw a nade at the back of a hog moving away from you, it doesn't have any effect.

:chief:
« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 02:20:41 PM by BFM_Darkƒyr »

Offline BFM_Exodus

• General
  • BFM's General Oversight >:)
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 04:50:46 AM »
Darkfyr is right on the money there. If you play on low graphics you will not get this problem, as the graphics are turned down so that the actually "sizzling" of the plasma nade is not visible. I always have it off so I actually know whether I have naded someone or not. Particularly helpful in scrims, and for the people like myself who have a 300 ping. :)

Nrvend is too old. We race in hogs, not wheelchairs.
Exodus.....why is there a cat in my post?
Exodus is the all-time Major Pain.

Print