Print 

Author Topic: IE8 Available  (Read 4797 times)

Offline Jä×

• Posts Too Much
  • Resident furry
Re: IE8 Available
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2009, 03:15:33 PM »
As of recently, I am getting frustrated with Firefox. It takes up a lot of memory on my computer when I open tabs and with 1 GB RAM, it gets really hard to multitask. Sometimes it will spike to over 120,000 K for no reason. If this continues, I will be switching to IE...

Only 120k? lol

FF tends to be a bit of a memory hog, there are a few mods you can do to the config file to fix it. Mine was using around 1gig after 24 hours of running and after changing a few things it bumped down to about 300k

Windows 7 Ultimate, AMD FX4100, Gigabyte 990FXA, G.Skill Sniper 2x4gb 1866, Saphire Radeon 2x512 256bit, Thermaltake Toughguard 850

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2009, 03:33:27 PM »
Firefox seems to be turning into the same bloatware that IE has been.  I think Chrome has a good chance of replacing FF as the #2 browser over the next year.   I love open source software, but Google have some very smart people and, well, we'll see.

Currently I think IE has 75% market share, FF about 20% and Chrome at most about 1%.

Edit:

IE:          67%
Firefox:   22%
Safari:      8%
Chrome:   1%
Opera:     1%
others:     1%
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 04:49:48 PM by BFM_Kiwi »

Offline Lucky

• Posts Too Much
  • Just do what makes you happy. JKLOL
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2009, 03:41:35 PM »
...Chrome at most about 1%.

XD Didn't know it was that low..

Offline BFM_saes

• BFM Admin
  • oops....
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2009, 04:49:45 AM »
Firefox seems to be turning into the same bloatware that IE has been.  I think Chrome has a good chance of replacing FF as the #2 browser over the next year.   I love open source software, but Google have some very smart people and, well, we'll see.
Bloatware? O_o
Firefox does use a lot of memory. But that's mainly down to a couple of flaws rather than it being bloated.

As for Chrome...
YUCK. No thank you.

I trust (if that's the right word) Google with my emails, but I would not trust them with even more browsing data than they already get.
And then there's the lack of settings. How do you actually change anything worth changing in Chrome? I haven't been able to find the menu!
And then there's the engine. Webkit. Die. Die. Webkit. Far too annoying and quirky for my liking.

Offline carl

• Senior Poster
  • check out mista benny!!!
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2009, 06:14:09 AM »
FF tends to be a bit of a memory hog, there are a few mods you can do to the config file to fix it. Mine was using around 1gig after 24 hours of running and after changing a few things it bumped down to about 300k
please i must know how to do this!!!!

As for Chrome...
YUCK. No thank you.
I trust (if that's the right word) Google with my emails, but I would not trust them with even more browsing data than they already get.
And then there's the lack of settings. How do you actually change anything worth changing in Chrome? I haven't been able to find the menu!
And then there's the engine. Webkit. Die. Die. Webkit. Far too annoying and quirky for my liking.
it seems as though you telepathically connected to my mind and read my thoughts EXACTLY  :LOL:
if you ask me to slow down when racing, then you are out of luck buddy. I AM AN AGGRESSIVE DRIVER!!! 
the fastest way to a point is a straight line, no matter the danger, i like to take chances, I AM A RISKY DRIVER!!!

Ok, let's get right to it.  DO NOT HIT YOUR COMPUTER AS CARL DOES

Offline BFM_Chaindog

• BFM Admin
  • F☼rum M☼derator
    • Hades Star:  Stargate Corp
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2009, 08:13:12 AM »
As of recently, I am getting frustrated with Firefox. It takes up a lot of memory on my computer when I open tabs and with 1 GB RAM, it gets really hard to multitask. Sometimes it will spike to over 120,000 K for no reason. If this continues, I will be switching to IE...

IE7 uses way more than this when it tries to load stuff on my system, not to mention that when you get more than four tabs open more often than not trying to click-open another tab usually crashes the browser w/o a by-your-leave or error report.  Incorrect for the posted thought of Firefox becoming bloated. The new Firefox 3.1+ isn't at all bloated even when I've installed a zillion add-ons to it, it's still pretty zippy.  One of the few flaws as mentioned is that FF develops a memory leak when multiple tabs are left open over 24 hours (at least in my own testing).  On average my FF uses up to 180k memory on a 2GB system.  With the older 2.0+ versions it would go as high as 800MB with over 20 tabs open over 24 hours (multi-tasking, don't ask).  As they release newer versions they are tying up the memory leaks as they are found, and yes FF still has better security than IE, not perfect though definitely better (not to mention a zillion features).

*Haven't used Chrome since install, haven't used MS Silverlight either...
"May you never cheat, lie, steal, or drink....if you must cheat, cheat death..if you must lie, lie in a loved ones arms...if you must steal, steal kisses...and if you must drink, drink with us yo!"

NOTE:  I've currently returned from serving in various Middle East combat zones.  Wow, just realized how many years I've been hanging with BFM, since near the beginning!  :Chaindog:

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2009, 11:01:28 AM »

One of the features of IE8 is that each tab runs as a separate process, so if one did hang, you'll only lose that one tab, not crash the whole browser.

Offline BFM_saes

• BFM Admin
  • oops....
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2009, 06:51:44 AM »

One of the features of IE8 is that each tab runs as a separate process, so if one did hang, you'll only lose that one tab, not crash the whole browser.

That's a great feature! They actually thought of something unique that is a nice idea!

Wait a second....  :winkgrin:

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2009, 12:51:23 PM »

That's a great feature! They actually thought of something unique that is a nice idea!

Um, M$ got it from Google's Chrome, which had it a long time (two years?) ago, it just wasn't available to you then. (And it has it now, BTW....)

FYI for those of you that don't know the history: Google's Chrome folks are most of the folks that did FireFox ... while they were working for Google to figure out how to make the best possible browser out there! (Pretty sly, if you ask me!: Send out a team to try it as an open source experiment first, then use what you learned to make ANOTHER open source one OF YOUR OWN!  :winkgrin: )

In the end Chrome will be the best browser available. No doubt in my mind about that.

But the question is WHEN will it become all that it can be??

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline jokerman

• Junior Poster
  • Connecting.......
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2009, 04:49:09 PM »
IE6-7, didn't really like.  I have to use IE6 for checking certain websites to make sure they are compatible but it is ssslllooooowwwww.  But with the bad taste that IE has left in my mouth, IE8 can wait (...hey, that rhymes... ;D, that may be my new motto :siderofl:)

I can't say anything bad about FF because I went to HS with one of the original creators of Mozilla and he still contributes to FF.  He's a cool dude, so FF gets a :thumbsup:.  Although, I must admit, I don't use it that much.  Again, I have to make sure that certain things are compatible with FF, so that is about it (which at this point pretty much everything is, it is just a formality check).

But Opera is not bad.  Some things like the mouse gestures are really addicting.  And the "Speed Dial" is pretty nifty.  I just can't stand when websites block you if you aren't using IE or FF.  With Opera you can "Identify" or "Mask" as the others but there is some coding (for M$ site specific stuff especially) that will trash browsers if not IE.  But in reality, that is bad website design.

So let's hear it for OPERA......

Anybody..... <crickets in the background>

Hello... <echo>

Ok, maybe I AM the entire 1%....  Go ME :yesyes:

j

Offline BFM_saes

• BFM Admin
  • oops....
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2009, 06:40:56 PM »
Um, M$ got it from Google's Chrome, which had it a long time (two years?) ago, it just wasn't available to you then. (And it has it now, BTW....)

Hence

Offline BFM_JANE

• Major
  • Despite the cost of living, it remains popular.
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2009, 07:17:13 PM »

Hence

Should have seen that coming! Saes does not use exclamation points.

:P

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2009, 08:48:25 PM »

Oh, and until someone somehow breaks Microsoft's monopoly in the desktop computer market their browser will always come out #1 on those stats!

Thanks to the US DoJs total incompetence in the Netscape trial we're stuck with M$ being able to ship their - and ONLY THEIR - browser with their OS software forever more....

:'(

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2009, 09:40:01 PM »

Windows 7 will have an option to shut off IE (as in shut if off, as opposed to delete a desktop icon).

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2009, 08:43:42 PM »

Windows 7 will have an option to shut off IE (as in shut if off, as opposed to delete a desktop icon).

yeah but that won't stop the 50% of the people that just use "what they get with the box" as-is and don't even KNOW that better options exist!

That was Microsft's whole point in making IE the ONLY browser they'd ever ship with Windoze!:

It will ALWAYS be The One that a customer sees first! (And therefore most often the ONLY one they ever see/think they need.)  :-\

Keep in mind that MS still - and always will - forbid PC resellers from ever installing a non-Microsoft browser onto their pre-installed PCs. It's in the contract they have with MS....

Print