Print 

Author Topic: which way on gegrophobia and ice fields  (Read 4246 times)

Offline BFM_Ben1

• BFM Admin
which way on gegrophobia and ice fields
« on: March 21, 2009, 07:57:52 AM »
on gegrephopia does it make any difference if when you have done the lap nav, then 4 more
if you go down for the navs as soon as you've got the fourth nav
or if you keep going around and go down at blue, not red

and also on ice fields when you've down lap nav, the middle nav and then blue base
is it better/quicker to go on bridge or ice
regards

b1

Thanks to Spood for this sig!

Awards won:

Aussie Scrims Team dStruct- Season VI Champions
Season 21 Captain Scrims- All Star
Season 21 Captain Scrims- Star Rookie
Season 22 Captain Scrims- MVP
Season 22 Captain Scrims- Most Improved
Season 22 Captain Scrims- All Star

Offline Vincitore

• Posts Too Much
Re: which way on gegrophobia and ice fields
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 08:04:56 AM »
Going down at red is a bit faster. You can try to get the nav with the back of your hog so you can go to the right of this pillar before you go down.

Offline BFM_JANE

• Major
  • Despite the cost of living, it remains popular.
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 08:06:08 AM »
Gephyrophobia:  When it's time to go below, if you want to be strategic, go down on the red side to give your gunner a chance to get kills (if your team is losing) and go down and blue (if you're winning) because there is less contact (i.e. less chance of getting shot).

Ice Fields:  Going from blue to red base, it's better to go across the bridge for two reasons ─ 1) Your gunner can shoot the people coming up from red to score (prevent the score) and 2) the area below the bridge is a bit of a bottleneck. There is no room to maneuver and it's really easy for a walker to nade you or pick up the rocket launcher and shoot you. Also the area below the bridge can get congested very quickly, making it harder and slower to get through and more likely that you'll get "stuck" on the ice.

Good questions Ben! There are lots of little things we can do to help the team win.

Offline jim360

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 08:23:17 AM »
For speed, on geffy go down at red base, trying to catch the 4th nav in the way vinci suggests, and while it takes practice a sub 57-second time is easily possible using this route, or indeed faster.

ON ice fields, the bottom is slightly faster if you get it right, but strategically you would probably spend most of your tiem on ice fields going over the bridge.

The fastest times are usually only possible if you go into a server on your own and practice, since in a competitive race speed isn't everything. A good lap time on an Ice fields race, for example, is usually closer to 85/ 90/ 95 seconds since you don't do the bridge jump.
Check out my Short introduction... corner and my "Historical figures who should perhaps be better-known" thread!!

Exciting videos: 1.1 / 1.2 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 11:19:10 AM »

Also on Gephy, as you get the 4th nav, if you see walkers or red dots on your radar, you might want to go on around to blue base.  I don't worry about 1 second of speed - I just go down where I think it's safer.

On Ice Fields, after you've played for awhile, you get a feel for where the enemy are.  If you're winning and you know they're at red, they'll be taking the bridge to score.  If you're in a lone chain at blue, you stay below to get to red and avoid the enemy. 

Offline Fraggle

• Posts Too Much
  • Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional!
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 12:56:23 PM »
With Gephy, My vastly illogical brain thinks that continuing round and going down at Blue would shave a few split-seconds off because if you go down at red, you have to double back on yourself and come back.

I would think the act of doing a 180 at the bottom under Blue base would cost you time-wise so I generally plough-on across the top, go down at Blue and travel in a (more-or-less) straight line and go up at red. I don't have any evidence to prove my theory, it just seems quicker if you can keep going forward without having to do a u-turn.

Ice fields, I go underneath. I have no reason for this, I just have got in the habit of doing it this way. :XD:

Fraggle
Many thanks to BFM_MiG for the awesometastic siggy!!
Quote from: BFM_JANE
It's just like life! Except with more rockets!

~ӺƦ∂פ₲Ļĕ
Quote from: some random person somewhere
When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin.
It works not because it settles the question for you, but because in that brief moment when the coin is in the air...

...You suddenly know what you are hoping for!

Offline Toe Tag

• Junior Poster
  • You don't want any part of me.
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 05:59:08 PM »
Thanks, everybody, for the advice.
LIfe is good.  Vacation is better!

Offline HOBOLAGGIN

• Junior Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 07:01:29 PM »
if u get it right, ice fields is way quicker if u go under (well it is 4 me anyway  :undecided:)

^^Thanks Soz 0wned^^

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2009, 01:26:36 AM »
Nemesis told me underneath is faster on Ice Fields, so therefore it is FACT!

He also told me red is faster on Gephy.  Again....FACT!   :LOL:

But it doesn't matter unless you're doing time trials. In a race with enemies, it's more important to stay alive, or deliberately take a path to encounter enemies if you are behind and need kills.

Offline BFM_Exodus

• General
  • BFM's General Oversight >:)
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2009, 03:06:38 AM »
Nemesis told me underneath is faster on Ice Fields, so therefore it is FACT!

He also told me red is faster on Gephy.  Again....FACT!   :LOL:

But it doesn't matter unless you're doing time trials. In a race with enemies, it's more important to stay alive, or deliberately take a path to encounter enemies if you are behind and need kills.

Correct and Dead on Kiwi! :)

Nrvend is too old. We race in hogs, not wheelchairs.
Exodus.....why is there a cat in my post?
Exodus is the all-time Major Pain.

Offline BFM_Nemesis

• BFM Admin
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2009, 04:11:28 AM »
With Gephy, My vastly illogical brain thinks that continuing round and going down at Blue would shave a few split-seconds off because if you go down at red, you have to double back on yourself and come back.

I would think the act of doing a 180 at the bottom under Blue base would cost you time-wise so I generally plough-on across the top, go down at Blue and travel in a (more-or-less) straight line and go up at red. I don't have any evidence to prove my theory, it just seems quicker if you can keep going forward without having to do a u-turn.

Ice fields, I go underneath. I have no reason for this, I just have got in the habit of doing it this way. :XD:

Fraggle

Whilst getting the nav above red and travelling towards blue to go down, you are not driving in a straight line. You are going further right than you have to as well as travelling a further distance. When you go down at red it is possible to swing your tail the slightest, grab the nav and have the option of going down either ramp (if you do it correctly) When you go down at red you can drive in a straight line NO SWERVING REQUIRED. The spin at getting that nav underneath blue takes about the same time up as traveling from above red to blue to go down so youve saved all the time of going passed the nav and going down at blue!

If it didnt make sense...

You travel less distance going down at red than you do at blue :P

Offline Fraggle

• Posts Too Much
  • Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional!
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2009, 06:04:58 AM »
You travel less distance going down at red than you do at blue :P

That's me told then..... :cop:
Many thanks to BFM_MiG for the awesometastic siggy!!
Quote from: BFM_JANE
It's just like life! Except with more rockets!

~ӺƦ∂פ₲Ļĕ
Quote from: some random person somewhere
When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin.
It works not because it settles the question for you, but because in that brief moment when the coin is in the air...

...You suddenly know what you are hoping for!

Offline ßlitz

• Junior Poster
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2009, 07:51:19 AM »
On gephy I like to go down at red base.

On Ice Fields, I only travel over the bridge to get the first nav. If I could just get that bridge flip down.

Thanks to Neo for this awesome sig!

Offline R0CK

• Newbie Poster
  • R U Dead Yet? Living Dead Beating but Next In Line
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2009, 11:09:24 PM »
Fastest route?  The bottom path on both of those maps will yield the quickest laptimes (if there's nobody in your way).  That's the lower path on gephy and the ice path on ice fields.

Offline BFM_SWiFT

• BFM Admin
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2009, 06:34:05 PM »
I know this is a late reply, but I thought I'd add my two cents.

On Gephyrophobia I tend to go down at red. I have the understanding the it is slightly quicker. I may be wrong, however. On Ice Fields, I usually take the Ice Path option. I've found that this is quicker also, but once again I may be wrong. Just do whichever one you prefer. :)

2c

Print