Print 

Author Topic: A loophole in the rules?  (Read 1081 times)

Offline A Meteor

• Newbie Poster
A loophole in the rules?
« on: March 31, 2009, 06:56:06 PM »
I got a bit upset this evening when I got shot in the back and chased down my a BFM while we were both on foot.  Seemed not only unnecessary, but pretty much like slaying.

I suppose, it can be considered with in the "letter of the law", as [I assume] the BFM and I were both heading toward our next flags.  I've heard that attacking on-foot to on-foot is legal in that case. [you aren't going out of your way]

But, if that is the case, then it's unfair to the person who heads out first.  they are then on their way and fair game.  They can't preemptively attack the other person, and have to wait for them to attack first.   But, a head shot or a pistol shots from close range in your back pretty much preclude you from any serious defense.

That doesn't seem very fair to me at all.   So what's the official rule here?  Sorry bub, you just get to die?

A Sad Meteor.

Offline BFM_Booyah

• General
Re: A loophole in the rules?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 08:10:56 PM »
Who said the person that gets out first can't attack?  Look at it this way.  When two hogs (one red one blue) are racing towards the same nav point, do they try to kill each other?  You bet they do.  Is there anything inappropriate about one hog attacking first over the other?  No, in fact you will consider yourself lucky if, as the gunner, you can start your attack on the enemy hog before they notice you and you will try to make the most of the advantage that first attack gives you.  Is that unfair?  Would you feel obligated to apologize to that enemy if they complained that you attacked them without being attacked first?  No, it's a part of this whole game.  Those two hogs were both racing fair and square and so had free rain to attack the enemy whether that enemy was aware of the attack or not.  The same situation existed with you, only you two were racing on foot.  As long as you were both racing on foot legitimately towards the same nav then enemies are not expected to let eachother live.  This is for all the same reasons that killing from hogs is allowed.  It stops the enemy from getting laps.  It protects your teammate's hogs from being naded by that enemy as they pass by you two racing on foot.  Since you are racing on foot it means you will try to jack the next enemy hog that comes by right?  Where slayer becomes illegal is when players choose to do that instead of racing.  If you're not in reasonable danger and going to your next nav is an option on either foot or in a hog then that is what we should all do.  You are not required though to race peacefully (in a hog or on foot) right next to the enemy and allow them to either score or attack one of your teammate's hogs.  This is a relatively rare situation so it is not suprising that you were taken aback by it but if you think about the similarities between racing in hogs and racing on foot that I mentioned you can see that there are times when fighting on foot is not only allowed but would be expected.  Does that make sense?

"Compared to war, all other forms of human endeavor shrink to insignificance." - General George S. Patton Jr.

Print