Print 

Author Topic: Halo and Dual monitors  (Read 1638 times)

Offline A Meteor

• Newbie Poster
Halo and Dual monitors
« on: April 02, 2009, 11:48:12 PM »
Hi All,

Has anyone had problems getting Halo to run with dual monitors on an XP system?
I was running one analog monitor. [LCD VGA]  I just put on two new ACER LCD monitors with 1920x1080 resolution and HDMI inputs.
Now Halo won't run.   As soon as I try to start it I get a dialog box that says "Gathering exception data".

I've tried disabling one monitor and that doesn''t help.

Anyone seen this, have any fixes? 

Thanks,

A. Meteor

Offline xen0n -

• Regular Poster
  • a winner is a loser who never gives up.
Re: Halo and Dual monitors
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 09:03:51 AM »
I used dual monitors on my vista system and it worked fine, I dont realy have an awnser :P
 :noadd:

^^ Blast from the past, anyone remember this one? ^^

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 09:42:08 AM »

Halo's prolly barfin' chunks at the unknown resolution it's being asked to deal with on the new setup. (Both the new size/aspect ratio, AND the extended desktop, all at once.)

Strangely enough, in this case I'm going to suggest UNinstalling Halo and REinstalling it so that it can "start fresh" and maybe better figure out your setup.  (Don't worry, it will keep your profiles... which might keep this from working tho!  So once you've UNinstalled, rename the "Halo" folder in "My Documents\My Games" to something else BEFORE you install. Then after that works, exit Halo and rename it back and try it again to see that it still works.)

BTW: Halo has a hard time with certain aspect ratio screen resolutions, so you might have to try some others as well....

Oh, but first!: If that was me having this problem I'd make the problem happen again like a hundred more times, and each time tell it to "Send results to Microsoft to help diagnose the problem" so you can "vote" on how crappy their OWN SOFTWARE IS!  :siderofl: :winkgrin:

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2009, 11:36:49 AM »

Barfin' chunks eh? 

Well Mxy is too technical for me, but I would think you should be able to play on one monitor or the other, not so sure about playing across both at the same time.  The problem I would bet is in the graphics card drivers.  When it says gathering exception data, does it ask if you can send the info to Microsoft?  If so, there is a link there to show you what info is being sent.  In the top right it will usually have the module that failed.   Look to see what it says and if it seems to be a video driver )like nvidiaxx.dll or something).

You could try setting up your display to only one monitor, then the other, and see if it works.  Maybe narrow it down if it's an issue with one monitor.

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2009, 09:22:33 PM »

Um... Are you REALLY expecting/trying to run Halo across more-than-one monitor?!?

'Won't happen/work, period.

(How do you even try to tell it to DO THAT?!?!)

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline BFM_Hydra

• BFM Admin
  • BFM Rules Guru and Forum Pwner.
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 06:41:09 PM »
You can play on both monitors at the same time but they'll just share the same screen.

It's handier to have one free for browsing etc. anyway, methinks.

BFM_Hydra Signature: Miser
Soccer Trophy: Igor
Scrim Season VII Trophy: H@ngm@n

Thanks guys!

TESTIMONIAL
"Hydra knows the forums like a spider knows it's web." - BFM_Jimmy 5/9/09

"Hydra, 300 posts to you is like pocket money to the Monopoly guy." - BFM_Jimmy 11/9/09

Offline A Meteor

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 10:03:32 PM »
Thanks Folks,

I'll try changing resolutions.  I've already re-installed and no dice.

I'm not trying to do anything fancy as far as playing on two screens or having a browser upi at the same time.  I just want to be able to play!
Right now I can't!

A. Meteor.

Offline Haunted

• Posts Too Much
    • ummm..
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 04:12:38 AM »
use 1 screen  :)

;D by me ;D

;D Thanks Hlao! ;D

;D Thanks Spood! ;D

Offline BFM_LËÕ

• Sergeant
  • Brohoof
    • My Sigs
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 04:43:01 AM »
i can paly across 2 screens :interesting: all i have to do is stretch the halo window but there is no benefit to it all it dose is kill the fps and make a gap in the middle. it takes me from 500+ on a static screen to 14 and lower  ::) if u had some insane amount of graphics power u might get away with it  ::)
There is no Them. There are only facets of Us.

Offline Đstroyr

• Senior Poster
  • Ðeath before Ðishonor !
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2009, 05:37:42 PM »
Thats what I do.

Ð

You can play on both monitors at the same time but they'll just share the same screen.

It's handier to have one free for browsing etc. anyway, methinks.

^^^ SIG made by his awesomeness BFM_Slayton ^^^

Offline ßlitz

• Junior Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2009, 07:24:29 AM »
Oh, but first!: If that was me having this problem I'd make the problem happen again like a hundred more times, and each time tell it to "Send results to Microsoft to help diagnose the problem" so you can "vote" on how crappy their OWN SOFTWARE IS!  :siderofl: :winkgrin:

LOL, that's funny!

Thanks to Neo for this awesome sig!

Offline BFM_Hydra

• BFM Admin
  • BFM Rules Guru and Forum Pwner.
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2009, 07:12:40 PM »
Oh, but first!: If that was me having this problem I'd make the problem happen again like a hundred more times, and each time tell it to "Send results to Microsoft to help diagnose the problem" so you can "vote" on how crappy their OWN SOFTWARE IS!  Sideways ROFL Wink'n'grin'n"

ROFL

PS. I run dual monitor (laptop + 1 external) and Halo works fine. I play in a window though.

BFM_Hydra Signature: Miser
Soccer Trophy: Igor
Scrim Season VII Trophy: H@ngm@n

Thanks guys!

TESTIMONIAL
"Hydra knows the forums like a spider knows it's web." - BFM_Jimmy 5/9/09

"Hydra, 300 posts to you is like pocket money to the Monopoly guy." - BFM_Jimmy 11/9/09

Print