Print 

Author Topic: Call Of Duty 4 Mapping  (Read 4452 times)

Offline BFM_Octane

• BFM Admin
Call Of Duty 4 Mapping
« on: April 12, 2009, 06:00:16 PM »
Creating my first map for Call of Duty 4. So thought id record it all down in screenies and stuff to look back on hehe.

The program used is called CoD4 Radiant. A Variant of the program i used to use for making maps for Quake 3 Arena (also used for making em on many other games). So its not as difficult as i thought it might be! Thought id have to learn a totally new program from scratch.

These screenshots are from the first few hours of working on my first map tonight.

First, i started with the basics, floor, walls, then a bit of texturing.
(The soldier model is for scaling purposes.)

After another hour or so later, ive added on a small out-back area and a few more rooms to the first structure. Door frames, window frames and a few more prefabs and models.

After doing the upper floor i might just temporarily box everything off so i can do the lighting and then test the map, even though its just 1 small building at the mo, i can atleast get some in-game screens too otherwise wont be any in-game pics for a bit yet. Its been a while since i last used any of this software and there are a few differences to get used to from the old days. So this is somewhat improvising the general scene and terrain as i go along for now.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 07:37:33 PM by BFM_Octane »

Offline Ben-BSH

• Posts Too Much
Re: Call Of Duty 4 Mapping
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 01:49:57 AM »
Octane! NIIICE!!

Cant wait to get owned by you on this one!
I title you :
BFM_MapgeniusoctanegodofCOD4.

:P

Offline xsix

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 03:06:44 AM »
Octane! NIIICE!!

Cant wait to get owned by you on this one!
I title you :
BFM_MapgeniusoctanegodofCOD4.

:P
What Ben said lol

Excellent job there, Octane, looks nice, now I wish I had COD4 on pc and not xbox : (. Oh well still awesome job Octane, looks like it'd be an awesome map :)

Offline BFM_Octane

• BFM Admin
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 03:57:40 PM »
lol interesting title thanx and thanx.

Once this building is done, im gonna begin work on the terrain for the rest of the map now ive warmed back up on the basics. Got a few ideas brewing in the brain.Spent a few more hours tonight, have the main part of the upper floor done, done a small bit of decorating too (wont stay lol).

Offline xsix

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 03:43:21 AM »
Looking very good Octane!

Offline Fanatic

• Senior Poster
  • War does not determine who's right, but who's left
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 09:28:21 AM »
Looks awesome Octane!!!

Thanks BigmanJT!                                                              Thanks Spood!

Offline BFM_Octane

• BFM Admin
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 09:12:48 AM »
Ta much! Ok, spent alot of time detailing more accessible buildings which i said i wouldnt do but never mind lol, done the very basics of the layout in the map that is playable. Done a bit of very rough lighting and quickly compiled the map so have some in-game screenshots. Not much to look at right now but still. Shows how its coming along over time.  :)

As you can see by the screenshots of the map editor its becoming increasingly complicated to look at and ive not even started yet! All models and prefabs, such as lamps, furniture... teddy bears (see bottom screenie...), are usually of the last things to put in a map. Im just being stupid at the mo. This is nothing compared to some of the Quake 3 maps ive made in the past though... yet. I know it will be worse eventually. COD4 is alot more detailed in every way than Quake 3.
Next i may begin working on the terrain more, make it more realistic and not just a flat land.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 09:18:17 AM by BFM_Octane »

Offline Bowser

• Posts Too Much
  • Alright chaps! Lets do this! LEEEROOY JAAANNKINS!!
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 09:40:25 AM »
Thats AWESOME Octane!  :o

Offline Ben-BSH

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 09:43:00 AM »
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude! :o

Awesome!

Offline BFM_Octane

• BFM Admin
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 09:36:20 AM »
Began bumping the terrain a bit. Done a little bit more lighting in and outside the buildings, still everything is basic though as you can tell. Ran into a few compiling issues but soon got it sorted. Seems like the map wasnt the issue but the game itsself... Or this new X-Fire update stamping onscreen displays in-game now maybe *shrug*. Anyway, got a couple of mins of in-game footage. Yep you can still walk off the edge of the map at the mo hehe. :

Click!
(Click on the HQ button to watch in better quality.)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 11:35:30 AM by BFM_Octane »

Offline BFM_Hydra

• BFM Admin
  • BFM Rules Guru and Forum Pwner.
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2009, 07:21:58 PM »
Awesome job, OCtane :o

BFM_Hydra Signature: Miser
Soccer Trophy: Igor
Scrim Season VII Trophy: H@ngm@n

Thanks guys!

TESTIMONIAL
"Hydra knows the forums like a spider knows it's web." - BFM_Jimmy 5/9/09

"Hydra, 300 posts to you is like pocket money to the Monopoly guy." - BFM_Jimmy 11/9/09

Offline Fuzion

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2009, 09:22:37 PM »
Nice Job Octane!!!  :yesyes:

Signature by AR~H@ngm@n
(July 07)

Offline Ben-BSH

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2009, 11:17:05 PM »
Mind blowingly awesome, i will be proud to get owned on that map!

Offline BFM_ColWlkr

• BFM Admin
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 08:15:40 AM »
I LOVE IT!  :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

When will it be available? XD

Offline BFM_Octane

• BFM Admin
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2009, 11:20:30 AM »
Not for a while hehe its all still a learning process, but it is coming along in leaps and bounds, ive begun working on the outer terrain and buildings that can be seen in the distance and all that melarky, some more detail and editing of detail. Been a bit busy recently with multiple Bday parties and whatnot tbh so not had much chance to work on it over the passed week. Ill get some more screenies up soon though. Its getting to that point now when compiling the lighting and reflections, im leaving the computer as its beginning to take a while.
The most detailed Quake 3 map i did took almost 2 days to compile (older computer mind you, but as said previously, Q3 is a much less detailed game overall) so this will be a long process of work on it, compile it, test it, repeat... More stuff flying across room when something goes wrong.  :keke:

Print