Print 

Author Topic: A handy trick for admins  (Read 2403 times)

Offline Soníc

• Posts Too Much
  • You've gotta think fast to be fast!
    • A Sonic Fan's paradise! ^^
A handy trick for admins
« on: September 04, 2007, 01:56:12 PM »
this isn't exactly "tech support", but It is a handy little thing that may make admining a little easier.  This is a little Guide to increasing the in-game text limit so you don't have to worry about the game cutting you off and forcing you to quickly type the rest of your sentence.  First figure out your screen resolution for halo by going to the main menu and clicking settings and then video settings and look for your screen resolution and remember the last number.  For example, My resolution is 800x600, so I would remember 600.  Now open My Computer and click on Local Disk Drives (otherwise known as the "C:" drive).  Open the program files folder and then scroll down to Microsoft games folder.  Open that and open the halo folder and then open the CONTENT folder.  Now go to the 600 EDIT BOX (not the 600 LOG) and right click it and go to open with and choose Notepad.  Now just look for the line in the text you'll see that says max length="64" (or something like that)  now just change the number from 64 to 940 and You'll be able to type nearly endlessly, which should make admin's jobs just a tad easier.  Hope that helps! ;D

Sonic
"I'll face it with a grin, I'm never giving in, On with the show!!  I'll top the bill, I'll overkill, I have to find the will to carry on with the, on with the show!!!" -- The Show Must Go On by Queen.  Freddie Mercury will live forever in our hearts.

Special thanks to Mr T for the sonic sig!! :D
You found my secret message!  PM me for a prize!

Offline Rázgrìz

• Senior Poster
  • I am the Razgriz
Re: A handy trick for admins
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 05:23:50 PM »
nice find

Offline Soníc

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 06:03:19 PM »
NP, I tested it out, and it comes out as long as you type it.  Yes, it will kinda go off screen ( :embarassed:whoops), but what are you really going to type that it goes across more than the screen is wide?  For ADMINING purposes anyway.  Well, I tested it in my own lan server at least :-\  I'll go test it out in a bfm server and tell you the results ;D

Sonic

-edit- yep, everyone can see the results of more room.  have fun :D
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 06:06:51 PM by Sonic »
"I'll face it with a grin, I'm never giving in, On with the show!!  I'll top the bill, I'll overkill, I have to find the will to carry on with the, on with the show!!!" -- The Show Must Go On by Queen.  Freddie Mercury will live forever in our hearts.

Offline Daigoro

• Posts Too Much
  • shishogan...swordsman's eyes
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 06:31:07 PM »
Mac users will only ever see 50 characters, so please keep your messages short!
Sincerely,
Daigoro

Offline AR~Archon

• Senior Poster
  • No surrender, no retreat
    • MacFire (Xfire for Mac)
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 07:43:17 PM »
^ What Daigoro said.  I already have trouble seeing some long messages :(
The minstrel boy to the war has gone...
Understanding is a three edged sword.  Your side, their side, and the truth.
Who are you?  What do you want?  Why are you here?  Where are you going?

Offline Maze1

• Newbie Poster
  • i now walk into the wild. <-- best movie
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 07:47:02 PM »
nice

did u find it out ur self or did u see it somewhere els cuz im pretty sure i saw it on youtube

Offline Soníc

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 08:16:32 PM »
...im pretty sure i saw it on youtube...

SHH!!!  not so loud!!! :-X   Lol, yeah I did, and I decided that it would be cool to pass that on to the forums.  The person I got it from is Halo's own D4man!  Some of you might recognice the name from when he was on BFM servers a while back, and I know ninja does! :ninja:

Sonic

Print