Print 

Author Topic: settle a bet xD  (Read 5866 times)

Offline Bulk

• Regular Poster
  • hey hey hey!
settle a bet xD
« on: May 23, 2009, 08:39:50 AM »
i did my maths gcse non calculator paper last monday, to be honest i felt it went really well but i had argument with a friend about one question in particular that had mot people talking about lol

the question was:
make "u" the subject of the formula
1/u + 1/v = 1/f

i then did the reciprical making it a very easy equation getting the answer of   u=f-v
whereas my friend mutiplied out the fractions and got something completely different, both ways seem sensible but i dont know which works, personally i think doing the reciprical will get the same answer as multiplying out the fracions if it was done properly

am i right? i tried the multiplying out fractions and it got diferent answer, but i stand by my reciprical method

this could be worth 5pounds to me if i am right lol :P
cheers bfm
TY MiG for the Siggeh xD
Bit harsh tbh, thought i was at least nice sometimes :P

Offline jim360

• Posts Too Much
Re: settle a bet xD
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 09:26:24 AM »
One good way for you to settle the bet by yourself it to plug in a few numbers. Let's choose u=v=1. THen clearly the left-hand side is 2 and the right-hand side must also be two. hence f=0.5. Now by your reciprocal method 1=0.5-1=-0.5, or 1= -0.5. This is evidently wrong, yet since the numbers are possible values for u, v and f we must conclude that the equation u=f-v is wrong.

So what's gone wrong? The simple answer is that only in very special circumstances does your method work (in particular see the last paragraph). Funnily enough there was a question on a Cambridge Maths exam where it was asked to carry out this analysis, so I can tell you that the equation u=f-v is valid only if f= (-v+1.73vi)/2 or f= (-v-1.73vi)/2, or put another way there are no real solutions for u, v and f that satisfy u=f-v and 1/u + 1/v =1/f. The proof of this comes from applying the correct method for rearranging the equation that I'll describe below.

Firstly when you take the reciprocal of the left-hand side you cannot do it term by term. Instead you have to say that f= 1/(1/u + 1/v). Now we apply the basic rule for adding fractions, which means that the term on the bottom must be the same for both fractions, to show that 1/u + 1/v = (u+v)/uv, so that 1/(1/u + 1/v) = uv/(u+v) = f. then uv = uf+ vf and so u(v-f)=vf or u = vf/(v-f). If we check using the values u=v=1 and f=0.5, we see that the right-hand side is now 0.5/0.5=1 as expected.

The reason that we can show that there are no real values that work with your method is by combining the two answers, u=f-v and u=vf/(v-f) and equating them. Then rearranging gives f2 +vf+v2=0, and considering this as a quadratic in f gives that the determinant is -3v2 which is always negative.

So, in conclusion, you've lost £5. Sorry.

As an exercise, you may wish to show that it is possible to have real numbers a,b,c and d such that a+b+c=d and 1/a + 1/b + 1/c =1/d, but if and only if two of a, b and c sum to zero.

*by the way, i is the square root of -1.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 09:53:40 AM by BFM_three60 »
Check out my Short introduction... corner and my "Historical figures who should perhaps be better-known" thread!!

Exciting videos: 1.1 / 1.2 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6

Offline BFM_Noddu

• BFM Admin
  • An apple a day, keeps red team's rockets at bay.
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 10:02:47 AM »
 Nevermind the bet... I'll pay you 5 pounds if you understood that  ^^!

Noddu xxx

So I'm guessing  1xfxv = u is wrong??

Oh munchkins :(
Make way for Noddu. Lest he nods his head... in disapproval.

Offline jim360

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2009, 02:43:12 PM »
Exactly. What I said.
Check out my Short introduction... corner and my "Historical figures who should perhaps be better-known" thread!!

Offline BFM_Edison

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 01:24:25 AM »
One good way for you to settle the bet by yourself it to plug in a few numbers. Let's choose u=v=1. THen clearly the left-hand side is 2 and the right-hand side must also be two. hence f=0.5. Now by your reciprocal method 1=0.5-1=-0.5, or 1= -0.5. This is evidently wrong, yet since the numbers are possible values for u, v and f we must conclude that the equation u=f-v is wrong.

So what's gone wrong? The simple answer is that only in very special circumstances does your method work (in particular see the last paragraph). Funnily enough there was a question on a Cambridge Maths exam where it was asked to carry out this analysis, so I can tell you that the equation u=f-v is valid only if f= (-v+1.73vi)/2 or f= (-v-1.73vi)/2, or put another way there are no real solutions for u, v and f that satisfy u=f-v and 1/u + 1/v =1/f. The proof of this comes from applying the correct method for rearranging the equation that I'll describe below.

Firstly when you take the reciprocal of the left-hand side you cannot do it term by term. Instead you have to say that f= 1/(1/u + 1/v). Now we apply the basic rule for adding fractions, which means that the term on the bottom must be the same for both fractions, to show that 1/u + 1/v = (u+v)/uv, so that 1/(1/u + 1/v) = uv/(u+v) = f. then uv = uf+ vf and so u(v-f)=vf or u = vf/(v-f). If we check using the values u=v=1 and f=0.5, we see that the right-hand side is now 0.5/0.5=1 as expected.

The reason that we can show that there are no real values that work with your method is by combining the two answers, u=f-v and u=vf/(v-f) and equating them. Then rearranging gives f2 +vf+v2=0, and considering this as a quadratic in f gives that the determinant is -3v2 which is always negative.

As an exercise, you may wish to show that it is possible to have real numbers a,b,c and d such that a+b+c=d and 1/a + 1/b + 1/c =1/d, but if and only if two of a, b and c sum to zero.

I concur.
52.87   60.07   46.40   72.73   68.23   55.10   98.27   84.73

Offline BFM_JANE

• Major
  • Despite the cost of living, it remains popular.
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 08:21:42 PM »
I concur.

And I always agree with Edison. Noddu owes me five pounds, whatever a pound is. :P

Offline BFM_Edison

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 12:31:22 AM »
About .45 kilograms.
52.87   60.07   46.40   72.73   68.23   55.10   98.27   84.73

Offline jim360

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 04:03:39 AM »
To be more precise, one pound sterling is presumed to be the value of 240 old Saxon stirling silver pennies. So there. The correct symbol for one pound is £1, which indicates that we are referring to modern decimalised pound sterling. Before February 1974, the correct symbol was in fact ₤1 from the Roman symbol for Librae. This also explain why pennies were referred to in shorthand as d., as in ₤1 10s 5d for "1 pound ten and fi'p'ny". This also explains the etymology of the Spanish currency the Lira, also from the Latin Librae.

Offline Ben-BSH

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2009, 04:13:00 AM »

So if Kitty = f, then v must be lesser than Kitty x Triangle  :haw:

Offline BFM_LËÕ

• Sergeant
  • Brohoof
    • My Sigs
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2009, 04:25:42 AM »

So if Kitty = f, then v must be lesser than Kitty x Triangle  :haw:

:interesting: what he said
There is no Them. There are only facets of Us.

Offline BFM_Hydra

• BFM Admin
  • BFM Rules Guru and Forum Pwner.
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2009, 05:25:46 AM »
ROFL that's the best lolcat I think I've ever seen.

+10 Ben

BFM_Hydra Signature: Miser
Soccer Trophy: Igor
Scrim Season VII Trophy: H@ngm@n

Thanks guys!

TESTIMONIAL
"Hydra knows the forums like a spider knows it's web." - BFM_Jimmy 5/9/09

"Hydra, 300 posts to you is like pocket money to the Monopoly guy." - BFM_Jimmy 11/9/09

Offline Haunted

• Posts Too Much
    • ummm..
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2009, 11:26:23 AM »
i wrote:

f x 1/v = u

;D by me ;D

;D Thanks Hlao! ;D

;D Thanks Spood! ;D

Offline ¥Mderms¥

• Posts Too Much
  • Muffins
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2009, 11:53:43 AM »
Nevermind the bet... I'll pay you 5 pounds if you understood that  ^^!

Yea.... no not so much.

Offline Haunted

• Posts Too Much
    • ummm..
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2009, 10:14:59 AM »

jim.... you needed to make u the subject

;D by me ;D

;D Thanks Hlao! ;D

;D Thanks Spood! ;D

Offline Kane

• Newbie Poster
  • "Learn form the best, PWN the rest!"
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2009, 10:50:12 PM »
letters...
numbers...
strange symbols....

THIS IS WITCHCRAFT [/s][/b]

Thanks for the sig Bowler!!! Thats accualy me in real life  (my job SUXX)

all  bfm_Arya's

\____|\______________/        the bunnies
           _||||    _||||
          (___|   (____|
(Marty's Turtle);)

Print