Print 

Author Topic: Pine nuts health warning  (Read 1729 times)

Offline Oblique

• Regular Poster
Pine nuts health warning
« on: May 24, 2009, 02:22:18 AM »
I was reading in the national newspaper the other day that pine nuts are leaving some with a 'metalic' or 'medicinal' taste in their mouths for up to 2 weeks.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1184261/Pine-mouth-puzzle-Why-nuts-leave-bitter-taste.html

Sp@rt101

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
Re: Pine nuts health warning
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 01:00:56 PM »

Obviously Darwin at work....

:winkgrin:

P.S. They taste fine to me!

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline Wic

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 01:04:40 PM »
Me too.. love 'em on salads  :)

Offline Oblique

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2009, 01:22:57 PM »
Apparently its appearing on Chinese imports of pine nuts. Strange that it should be Chinese imports hitting the headline once again.

The first reports of 'pine mouth', as it has been dubbed, began last winter in the U.S. from those who had eaten imported Chinese pine nuts.

Sp@rt101

Offline Forseti

• Junior Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 10:20:05 AM »
Metallic taste for any period of time is not uncommon, but only due to one medical reason. The etiologies for this can be simplified and separated into only 2 groups: allergy or chemical toxin (this includes medicines). Most people who have allergies to peanuts or other nuts already know it, so IMO that leaves only one possibility if they are coming from China.

On a similar side note, were you aware that the is an area of China that has no honeybees or other pollinators of fruit trees related to mass insecticides used there decades ago. The government will do nothing about it and the farmers learned to manually pollinate the flowers by hand, every one of them, using chicken feathers and a method of collecting and drying the pollen.  You can do a search with the phrase "hand pollinating pears trees in china" if you want more, but I saw it on a discovery channel type of documentary I rented. Yes I like documentaries so much I rent them too. That and I was too lazy to search for cliff notes on it.

Offline BFM_Hydra

• BFM Admin
  • BFM Rules Guru and Forum Pwner.
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 02:34:57 AM »
There's something I've never heard of. Maybe we don't import nuts in Australia. (Just about the ONLY thing we don't import...)

EDIT:

I’ve spent yesterday and today trying to figure out what an intermittent horrible taste in my mouth was. Especially after eating, there was an awful taste deep in the back of my mouth, near the back of the tongue. Puzzled, tonight I tried googling to find out what it might be. As I scrolled through the results, I noticed something that coincided with a recent odd addition to my diet.

As the Daily Mail reports, it seems that there are some odd pine nuts, thought to be from China, that are making their way around the world causing “pine mouth”.  People affected find that, starting a day or two after eating pine nuts, eating causes an unpleasant bitter or “metallic” taste in their mouths for the next week or two. Not everyone is affected, and not all pine nuts cause the problem. It seems different people react differently to some nuts, with one possibility being that some nuts have gone slightly rancid. It was first reported in the US during their winter, then spread to the UK.

On Saturday I went shopping, and thought I would experiment with some pasta. One ingredient I picked up, which I never normally eat, was a packet of Sunbeam pine nuts. They were sprinkled in a couple of pasta dishes on Saturday and Sunday, and a few were eaten straight from the pack. On Monday afternoon the odd taste appeared in my mouth. We’ll see how long it takes to go away.

I’m guessing pine mouth has hit Australia.

OK, so maybe it is in Australia too.

BFM_Hydra Signature: Miser
Soccer Trophy: Igor
Scrim Season VII Trophy: H@ngm@n

Thanks guys!

TESTIMONIAL
"Hydra knows the forums like a spider knows it's web." - BFM_Jimmy 5/9/09

"Hydra, 300 posts to you is like pocket money to the Monopoly guy." - BFM_Jimmy 11/9/09

Print