Print 

Author Topic: A question on racing - BFM legal experts here plz!  (Read 2067 times)

Offline Cave Canem

• Newbie Poster
  • Beware the Dog!
A question on racing - BFM legal experts here plz!
« on: September 06, 2007, 04:45:43 PM »
To the BFM legal experts:

I was racing under one of my other monikers - master3 - and I did something that resulted in a warning, not a kick.  Anyway, I have been playing regularly in BFM servers for close to a year under other names. I try to be a team-player, pick up mates, and obey the rules, my mouth is so clean it shames soap (that really was a typo kakashi :-\), in other words; I try to be a model player ;D

Anyway, to the point - I was playing sidewinder map and I was driving to the 3rd nav when I was rocketed. I spawned up at the base (blue i think) close to the 3rd nav and there were no hogs around my spawn point or anywhere in the area of the base. So I ran into the base and a BFM was already moving into the base, an enemy hog was in the base getting the nav. The BFM proceeded to nade and shoot down the 2 players in the hog. Instead of jumping into the gunner position on the now hogjacked hog that the BFM was driving (I could tell that the BFM was going to go over to a different nav point) so I just climbed up the ladder and went through the portal to get my nav (the 3rd one). I did not nade any hogs, did not pick up the sniper, did not pick the RL, did not even  shoot at anyone.  Someone ran me over when they drove up to the ledge, so the point is moot... ::)

All I wanted to do was to get the nav point because I like to rack up the laps in the quickest time whenever I'm in a racing game.

Anyway, the BFM reprimanded me for not jumping into his hog - I told him that I was going to my nav. Then I was told that I should have jumped into his hog regardless.

I just want to know: is it ok for me to pass a hog if I am close to a nav? The nav was pretty close and I thought it would be ok as long as it was clear I was not camping or breaking any rules.

I'm not trying to accuse or play the blame game so to speak. The intent of this question is to clear up my confusion and also to be sure that if I was in the wrong, that I won't do that again and from now on, to jump into the nearest hog like an electron in the proximity of a positive charge. :bump:

I do appreciate what the members of this club is trying to do in keeping clean racing servers that are fun to participate in and thank you all for that.

Offline Contact

• Posts Too Much
  • You will give my Hoggie back!
Re: A question on racing - BFM legal experts here plz!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 05:11:27 PM »
As for the rules it is very clear:
5.1.      When there is a hog available, you must race with it.

But more importantly,  I can see your point that going through the teleporter would have been a lot quicker for you - but this is a team game. 
Did by dieing once you got to your nav help your team?  Did the other team mate, admin in this case, survive getting to red base?  If you had got in the hog and gunned you both may have got a lot further in the long run and your team would be at a far greater advantage - making decisions based on the advantage for the team as opposed to for yourself is how a good racer becomes a great racer. 
You could have also typed over hog chat to the driver and requested to get your nav before proceeding further.

Thanks for the questions and I hope this clears it up for you.

Cheers
Contact

Offline Cave Canem

• Newbie Poster
  • Beware the Dog!
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 01:22:51 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I can see your point about me living a bit longer sticking with the hog driver. Anyway, I'll be sure to do that from now on.

By the way, whats the button for hog chat? I "lost" my halo manual a long time ago.

Again, its appreciated!

Offline Contact

• Posts Too Much
  • You will give my Hoggie back!
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007, 05:06:21 PM »
h = hog chat
y = team chat
t = all chat

Cheers
BFM_Contact

Offline BFM_Elvis

• Leader
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 11:57:52 PM »
You didnt have to get in that hog. It is usually better to do so. But if you were on a different nav you will find out that in the rules you are allowed to keep going on your navs. The rule saying if you see a hog you must take it is for hogs that are empty. Your not expected to get in a hog that is going the wrong way. But as contact said it is usually much better to do so. Just use team chat or hog chat as he said to let your driver know what you need. You might want to tell him this is hog chat etc. Then he will know who his gunner is.  You shouldnt have been warned for what you did. If you dont mind send me this admins name and I will let him know what happened with you and why this is ok.

Now in defense of the admin... Many times admins see people not trying to team up and start walking or just refuse to get in a hog unless they are by themselves. So we go in a server and find many people who just refuse to team up. So this admin sees you not get in his hog. He has already had others not get in the hog an take off walking. Most of them just didnt want to gun a chain or just wanted to walk the map. So he comes to you and you do the same. So he tells you to stop passing up hogs. Not really fair to you but you can understand what the admin was thinking. Or he could drove out and saw other hogs out front and figured you didnt care about getting into a hog. But he doesnt know those hogs spawned after you had already looked.

We admin servers a lot. We see a lot of people who just want to race and have fun and we see a lot of people who dont care about their teammates and just worry about themselves. That doesnt make it right to warn someone like yourself who didnt break a rule. But surely you can understand why this admin might think you were.

Im more than willing to explain your side of the story to this admin. Please send me a pm and I will do that for you.

Print