Print 

Author Topic: Internet Exployer or Firefox?  (Read 5897 times)

BFM_Warlord

Internet Exployer or Firefox?
« on: September 07, 2007, 12:41:35 PM »
I have been using firefox and I think I like it better so far any comments or advice would be appreciated thanks

Offline Slanzinger

• Regular Poster
  • Wakka wakka wakka Saturn wakka wakka...
Re: Internet Exployer or Firefox?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 12:57:38 PM »
Firefox. Especially with the extensions it offers.

A few examples of ones I've got:

AdBlockerPlus - Blocks banner adverts, exceptionally good for getting rid of those Flash ones with the mosquito.
MouseGestures - Allows you to hold down a mouse button and drag a shape, this does something (e.g. for me, left line = go back a page, down then right or right-left-right scribble = close window/tab)
ColorfulTabs - Purely aesthetic, makes entries on the tab bar have individual colours, rather than grey.
Download Statusbar - Adds a bar to the bottom of FF when you're doing a download, meaning you don't have a Download popup, just a visual representation of how far the download is at the bottom (Can be set to change colour depending on current download speed as well)
Link Alert - Shows me what I'm linking to. E.g. a link to a .exe file will cause an extra icon next to my link-clicking cursor showing the ".bat cog" icon. Two squares means new window, etc. V. useful from a security POV.
IETab - Essential if you're planning on using FF only. This little gadget puts an icon on your status bar, in the bottom right, with the FireFox logo on it. Click this icon, it changes to the IE logo and Firefox is now emulating Internet Explorer. This basically means you can run Windows Update and other IE-only sites through firefox (can also be configured to always go into IE-mode for certain websites)

All of these can be found if you go into the Tools menu and click "Add-ons" and then the blue "Get Extensions" link. Use the search box there. I'm pretty sure I've given the names correctly, and a couple of the ones I've said (It's pretty much all the ones I have, thinking about it!) are in the "Featured" list. All rather useful. (There's even one I haven't tried yet which allows the PC to shut down automatically after all downloads are done. Useful for that 1.8Gb Bioshock demo if you want to get to sleep and know the PC'll be off by the time you wake up)
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 01:33:44 PM by Slanzinger »
wakka wakka wakka Saturn wakka wakka wakka...

Offline FlameDragon

• Junior Poster
  • hack and slash my way to victory.
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 01:10:35 PM »
i would have to say firefox has more good stuff on it and its just awomse and ie copyd theirs tabs from firefox

BFM_Warlord

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 01:14:53 PM »
Thanks for all the info much appreciated .I am new to firefox

Offline FlameDragon

• Junior Poster
  • hack and slash my way to victory.
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 01:16:34 PM »
u will get used to it firefox is fun or else this might happen to u  :bang: catch my drift

Offline Floyd

• Senior Poster
  • I Pitty the Foo who can't dance
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 02:22:18 PM »
Fire Fox is great, I just have trouble getting some streaming content to work (but much better now with the Windows media player add on).
There's someone in my head but it's not me  ~Floyd

Offline ThE BrIcK

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 02:26:48 PM »
I love Firefox.

Dont know much about it, but its very easy to use.
BFM History
Application - 9/23/06
Little Tags - 2/17/07
Big Tags - 4/3/07
Corporal - 3/9/08
Sergeant - 8/15/08
Lieutenant - 9/27/08
Captain - 7/4/09
Resignation - 5/20/10

Offline Đstroyr

• Senior Poster
  • Ğeath before Ğishonor !
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2007, 04:07:21 PM »
So Ok all u nubs I want to know about firefox also. Back in the day I loved Netscape. It was all together great. BUT the Emperor of  Everett (M$) decided to mess the world up again so I jumped on the M$ IE bandwagon.

Is firefox that much easier ? Sell me on it I'm curious.

^^^ SIG made by his awesomeness BFM_Slayton ^^^

Offline Tanger

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2007, 04:29:37 PM »
Firefox is amazing. It blows away IE7 by a mile...and a half! :P

There is multiple conveniences it offers. Its easy to use as well.

<<CLICK HERE>>

There is a list of firefox's offers!

Offline Ediseye

• Posts Too Much
  • And t3h shark eatz itz
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2007, 07:29:11 PM »
Everyone is all for Firefox because of its extensions (which are offered by IE7 as plugins) and because it’s the most popular resort to IE.

I always use IE. I have Firefox and Netscape installed but I always use IE for everything :P

*Prepares for bashing of IE* D:

Offline BFM_Hydra

• BFM Admin
  • BFM Rules Guru and Forum Pwner.
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2007, 07:46:47 PM »
I have all 3 but it I use IE. Best interface by far.

BFM_Hydra Signature: Miser
Soccer Trophy: Igor
Scrim Season VII Trophy: H@ngm@n

Thanks guys!

TESTIMONIAL
"Hydra knows the forums like a spider knows it's web." - BFM_Jimmy 5/9/09

"Hydra, 300 posts to you is like pocket money to the Monopoly guy." - BFM_Jimmy 11/9/09

Offline ĞeviÑ

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2007, 09:47:40 AM »
This is a Public Service Announcement

i have a solution to all your problems.

firefox!

that is all.

Selling FREE PWNkakes™
Former BFM_Devist8 (long ago) and bfm_ĞeviÑ

Exodus.....why is there a cat in my post?

Offline ºReFº

• Senior Poster
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2007, 07:21:02 PM »
I use IE7.

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2007, 11:38:10 PM »
I have been an early-adopter of "open source", add-on web browsers (since the first release of Mosaic) and loved the (timing of the) move to FireFox (since it saved me having to go from Netscape to Opera and THEN to FireFox!)

Lately what I loved the most about FireFox is the PortableApps version, which is part of a suite of portable tools that I carry with me on a 2GB thumbdrive at all times. (It's what I used to log on to these forums while recently on vacation!)

THAT'S how a "personal utility" should REALLY work! (Not part of my machine-specific OS environment!)

I can't say enough good things about FireFox and it's open source development effort!

(Of course, if you're a Windows user you will HAVE to keep Internet Exploiter around to view some web pages correctly, tho.  :'( Since the vast majority of users cruise the we using IE there are sites that have IE-specific aspects built into them, unfortunately! Note, however, that there is an IE compatibility add-on/extension(?) for FireFox I hear, tho! [But I do NOT rely on that, I'm afraid....])

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline Slanzinger

• Regular Poster
  • Wakka wakka wakka Saturn wakka wakka...
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2007, 04:31:42 AM »
Yeah, the extension is called "IE Tab", which allows you to just press a button in the status bar and emulate IE.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1419
Works surprisingly well; I'm able to get onto Windows Update and use it through FireFox now (Or at least I would, if I trusted M$ with their "Genuine Advantage Tool"... but that's another story)
wakka wakka wakka Saturn wakka wakka wakka...

Print