Print 

Author Topic: Computer makes sound when flash drive is connected, can't be accessed?  (Read 795 times)

Offline Racr

• Regular Poster
  • I iz smart.
Oookay... So, this is weird. I have a one gig Sandisk thumb drive, and when I plug it into my computer, it makes the sound of something being connected, but I can't get on the flash drive itself. I'm running Windows XP on a Dell Dimension E510, if it helps.

Thanks to Manticore for that!

Thank you BFM_Arya for those!!

Offline Ben-BSH

• Posts Too Much
firstly, have you tested it in anyone else's machine?

Secondly? is it being recognised in device manager? (run command then : compmgmt.msc)
see if you have any yellow question marks anywhere, if so, it could be your device is faulty / windows does not recognise it and therefore is having a paddy a faulty item/items would appear like this, if this is the case, repost, and we will look at getting that worked out.

Thirdly ..

Open your run command, and enter the following : diskmgmt.msc
Look to see if your drive is listed there, and if so, it may need to be assigned a drive letter to become usable, right click the drive which is your thumb drive, and then choose "change drive letter and paths" and assign it a letter not already in use, this could be anything, probably something like H will be free, dependant on your partitions / mapped drives etc. and it should now work

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage

Also, if you (or anyone else) tried to "format" the drive you shouldn't have.

They come pre-formatted (in FAT16 or FAT32 format, usu, FYI.)

If it was formatted, that could be the reason too....
Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline Racr

• Regular Poster
  • I iz smart.
Alright, well, now, it's for some reason working. I'm not sure what I did whilst following your steps, but something I did must have worked.

Mxy: Nobody else uses this thumb drive but me and I know better than to format something unless told to do so by the manufacturer.

Thanks for your help guys. I'll let ya know if it happens again.

Thanks to Manticore for that!

Thank you BFM_Arya for those!!

Print