Print 

Author Topic: Minute Mysteries Game!  (Read 98237 times)

Offline Haunted

• Posts Too Much
    • ummm..
Re: Minute Mysteries Game!
« Reply #120 on: July 17, 2009, 07:07:04 AM »
lol laggin  :P

heres mine:

A man is lying awake in bed. He makes a phone call, says nothing, and goes to sleep. Why?

;D by me ;D

;D Thanks Hlao! ;D

;D Thanks Spood! ;D

Offline OÐî ñ

• Junior Poster
  • this is U
« Reply #121 on: July 17, 2009, 08:55:03 AM »
ummm was he at a hotel? if so...lets say.... the person in the next room is like playing his music or his TV so loud that he can't sleep. he calls him, goes to sleep b4 he can start playing/tv louder?

"A hero need not speak. When he is gone, the world will speak for him."

Thx for the sig Ds Black!

Offline Haunted

• Posts Too Much
    • ummm..
« Reply #122 on: July 17, 2009, 10:27:04 AM »
i'll give it to you  ;D nice 1  :winkgrin:

;D by me ;D

;D Thanks Hlao! ;D

;D Thanks Spood! ;D

Offline OÐî ñ

• Junior Poster
  • this is U
« Reply #123 on: July 18, 2009, 07:32:04 AM »
really? wow!

Stanley praised the opportunities America provided immigrants. "When I came to this country," he said, "I knew only two words of English, but that didn't stop me from making my fortune." What does Stanley do and what were the two words of English that he knew?

Might want to ask yes or no ?'s lol

Offline Haunted

• Posts Too Much
    • ummm..
« Reply #124 on: July 18, 2009, 09:00:44 AM »
money please?  :LOL:

;D by me ;D

;D Thanks Hlao! ;D

;D Thanks Spood! ;D

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #125 on: July 18, 2009, 09:37:48 AM »

A1: He's a robber / "Hands up!"?

A2: He's a street peddler / "Spare change?"

:winkgrin:
Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline OÐî ñ

• Junior Poster
  • this is U
« Reply #126 on: July 18, 2009, 11:31:24 AM »
a1 :P. yer go mxy!

Offline BFM_SüprM@ñ

• BFM Admin
« Reply #127 on: July 18, 2009, 01:51:30 PM »
Rofl@ A2.  

I don't know of any panhandler's that have made a fortune. xD

Edit: After a Pm from Mxy, I now do. xD
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 10:17:38 PM by SüprM@ñ »
Being a good racer in Halo isn't just about getting the best times. You have to know where your teammates and enemies are, and most of all... how to be crafty! XD -nods-

Oh... and "v.v" = sad face.

Props to Plixity for the first sig, Slayton for the Season XIII trophy sig, and Jane for the banner! Thx guys! ^.^

Applied for Recruitment: January 22nd, 2008
Received Vent: March 25th, 2008
Received Lil-tags: May 3rd, 2008
Resigned: May 15th, 2008
Re-Applied: June 16th, 2009
Re-Received Vent: July 25th 2009
Re-Received Lil-Tags: August 24th, 2009
Received Big Tags: October 5th, 2009
Promoted to Corporal: January 30, 2010
Promoted to Sergeant: April 19, 2010
Temp. Resigned: August 6, 2010
Returned: January 29, 2013

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #128 on: July 18, 2009, 05:34:38 PM »

ROFL @ * !

Okay, time for a doozy/loong one!:

"Tony, look at this!" Moose Perkins gestured to a story in the newspaper he'd found on his stool when they'd arrived at the diner.

Tony gave his partner a withering glaze. "I'm trying to drink my coffee."

Moose persisted, saying "You gotta look at it right now," as he slid the newspaper in front of his partner's nose. The two of them were seated at the counter, spinning away the hours trying to come up with another way to scam a living. They were willing to do almost anything, as long as it didn't involve honest work.

Tony knocked the paper away from his face. "Leave me alone, will you? Give me a little peace and quiet so I can think."

"I'm telling you, there's something you should see. Hurry up, I don't want to blow this."

Tony grabbed the paper out of Moose's hand and pointed to the date across the top. "This thing is already a day old. What happened yesterday that I need to know about today?"

"Just read it, will you?" Tony sighed, then read aloud, "'Local Policewoman named Police Officer of the Year.' Why should I care about this lady? We're crooks, remember? Unless they gave this cop a cash award, I'm not interested."

Moose stabbed his finger at the story beside it. "Not that one, this one."

Tony read, "'Big Winner in the PowerBall.' So somebody else made a killing, and all I got for my forty bucks was waste paper. Does that mean you have to rub it in?"

"Keep your voice down. Now look at the woman down the counter reading that newspaper. Doesn't she look familiar?"

Tony looked from the woman to the newspaper photograph and then back again. "I can't believe it. You're right, it's her." The woman signaled the waitress for her check.

Moose whispered urgently, "Let's go after her. We can hold her up and take whatever she's got on her."

Tony put a hand on Moose's shoulder. Softly, he said, "Wait a second, I've got a better idea. Instead of strong-arming her like we usually do, why don't we follow this lady back to her apartment? I wonder how much cash she's got back at her place?"

Moose read from the paper, "It says here she got her first check yesterday, $168,000 a year after taxes. She's going to get that every year for the next twenty years."

"I'm not worried about the future, I want to get my hands on some of the money she's got right now." Tony frowned. "You know, she's not going to be carrying that kind of dough around this neighborhood."

"No, but I guarantee you she's got a chunk of it in cash somewhere close by, I know I would have."

Tony took the last sip from his coffee cup, then slid a quarter under the saucer. "Let's follow her home and see what we can find."

"I'm right behind you."

Tony and Moose walked out into the crisp morning air toward the kiosk where the new millionaire had just finished reading a section of the newspaper she'd bought. After folding it under her arm, the woman smiled smugly, then started walking down the street. She was so preoccupied with what she'd seen in the paper that she didn't even notice the two men following her.

As she ducked into a small apartment building nearby, Moose said, "Geez, I wonder how long she's going to hang around this neighborhood now that she's loaded?"

"That's why we have to get her now. I'll bet she'll be gone in a week, and we'll lose our chance at all that money."

Tony gave the woman a second to get inside, then slipped in the door behind her.

Inside the vestibule, he held a hand up to Moose, then whispered, "Stay here. I'll be right back."

Moose stood just inside the doorway and waited for his partner to return. Thirty seconds later, Tony came back.

He said, "We're in luck, she lives on the first floor. I saw the apartment she went into. We've got her cold, Moose. Come on, let's go."

As they stood outside the door to 1C, Moose said, "What are we going to do, force our way inside?" The big man studied the jamb for a second, then said, "I bet I could kick the door in."

"I've got a better idea that won't attract so much attention. We're going to do this with finesse. You watch the door, I'll be right back. I saw a vendor across the street."

Two minutes later, Tony walked back into the building carrying a large bouquet of flowers in his arms.

"What are you doing with those flowers?"

"Just watch a master at work. When I make my move, I want you to stand to one side, then follow me in once my foot's in the door."

Moose reluctantly agreed, stepping out of the way so he was out of sight.

Tony rang the doorbell as he held the bouquet up in front of the peephole.

From inside, a woman's voice called out, "Yes, who is it?"

"Hurley's Florist, Ma'am. Delivery for you."

"I didn't order any flowers."

"Listen, you want the flowers or not? All it says here is 'Congratulations.'"

"How nice. I'll be right out."

Tony tensed in the hallway waiting for the door to open. When he heard the chain slip away from the lock and saw the door open, he jammed his gun into the doorway and said, "Step away from the door, Lady. This is a hold-up." Moose was one step behind him.

As Tony followed his gun inside, he found the woman pointing a shotgun at his chest. She had the angle on them both. Tony saw that they didn't have a chance.

She commanded, "Drop your guns."

Both men did as they were told.

How did the woman know?

Rating: V-hard!

Hint if you REALLY have to go there...:

Right after the men did as told, the woman smiled broadly and said "That explains why you two followed me home. I knew you were both up to no good. I guess you didn't read the afternoon edition of the paper, did you?"

Fin

Offline Bowser

• Posts Too Much
  • Alright chaps! Lets do this! LEEEROOY JAAANNKINS!!
« Reply #129 on: July 18, 2009, 05:50:53 PM »
The woman was the police officer, and it was a sting operation? The police planted the paper, and then of course the paper was later told that the "winner" didn't actually win. The police expected that the men wouldn't look at the late edition before they made their move, and sure enough, the criminals didn't. thus they showed up and were caught.

even if i'm wrong i'm proud of the answer lawl.  ;D

Offline BFM_Hydra

• BFM Admin
  • BFM Rules Guru and Forum Pwner.
« Reply #130 on: July 18, 2009, 10:17:28 PM »
I think you got it in one Bowser :)

BFM_Hydra Signature: Miser
Soccer Trophy: Igor
Scrim Season VII Trophy: H@ngm@n

Thanks guys!

TESTIMONIAL
"Hydra knows the forums like a spider knows it's web." - BFM_Jimmy 5/9/09

"Hydra, 300 posts to you is like pocket money to the Monopoly guy." - BFM_Jimmy 11/9/09

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #131 on: July 19, 2009, 08:55:03 AM »
The woman was the police officer, and it was a sting operation? The police planted the paper, and then of course the paper was later told that the "winner" didn't actually win. The police expected that the men wouldn't look at the late edition before they made their move, and sure enough, the criminals didn't. thus they showed up and were caught.

even if i'm wrong i'm proud of the answer lawl.  ;D

1/3 credit (divided by 10 because the hint was used....  ::)  :winkgrin: ) to Bowser: She was a policewoman alright.  But it was NOT a sting.
(And you can still be proud, Bowser!  d_b )

Figuring out why the afternoon paper mattered and how she knew IS the hard part, tho!

So this one still stands open....
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 08:58:56 AM by MrMxyzptlk »

Offline Bowser

• Posts Too Much
  • Alright chaps! Lets do this! LEEEROOY JAAANNKINS!!
« Reply #132 on: July 19, 2009, 12:45:04 PM »
Did she win the lottery?

and *cough* I didn't *cough* use the hint *cough*

Well, not MUCH of it anyways.   :ssh:  :siderofl:

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
« Reply #133 on: July 19, 2009, 01:04:47 PM »

I get the impression that the late edition corrected a mistake.  Not like either story was "breaking news".  So a mistake in the lottery story?

I don't get it.

Offline BFM_SüprM@ñ

• BFM Admin
« Reply #134 on: July 19, 2009, 04:20:36 PM »
My bet is that there was a misprint in the paper, which often occurs. They accidentally mixed up the pictures of the two women. The lady that was the police officer "won the lottery" and the woman that won the lottery "was the police officer." Heh, I "won a scholarship." this past May.... -kinda did earn it but turned it down- But that was long before the paper ever posted anything about it.

Edit: After the paper caught their mistake they switched the pictures back, and probably put a little thing in saying that it was corrected and just reposted the stories. -nods- I know that many papers will often use the same stories two or sometimes even three days in a row. Especially on Saturday and Sunday editions (Mostly the only things that change on them are the Sports section.)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 04:31:47 PM by SüprM@ñ »
Being a good racer in Halo isn't just about getting the best times. You have to know where your teammates and enemies are, and most of all... how to be crafty! XD -nods-

Oh... and "v.v" = sad face.

Props to Plixity for the first sig, Slayton for the Season XIII trophy sig, and Jane for the banner! Thx guys! ^.^

Applied for Recruitment: January 22nd, 2008
Received Vent: March 25th, 2008
Received Lil-tags: May 3rd, 2008
Resigned: May 15th, 2008
Re-Applied: June 16th, 2009
Re-Received Vent: July 25th 2009
Re-Received Lil-Tags: August 24th, 2009
Received Big Tags: October 5th, 2009
Promoted to Corporal: January 30, 2010
Promoted to Sergeant: April 19, 2010
Temp. Resigned: August 6, 2010
Returned: January 29, 2013