Print 

Author Topic: Minute Mysteries Game!  (Read 97546 times)

Offline BFM_SüprM@ñ

• BFM Admin
Re: Minute Mysteries Game!
« Reply #240 on: August 05, 2009, 05:23:48 AM »
The river was obviously in a rather populated city, otherwise there wouldn't be a walkway underneath a bridge. xD So, the city could be on the coast and hence the tsunami would make sense. Plus, many tsunamis are caused by underwater earthquakes. = )
Being a good racer in Halo isn't just about getting the best times. You have to know where your teammates and enemies are, and most of all... how to be crafty! XD -nods-

Oh... and "v.v" = sad face.

Props to Plixity for the first sig, Slayton for the Season XIII trophy sig, and Jane for the banner! Thx guys! ^.^

Applied for Recruitment: January 22nd, 2008
Received Vent: March 25th, 2008
Received Lil-tags: May 3rd, 2008
Resigned: May 15th, 2008
Re-Applied: June 16th, 2009
Re-Received Vent: July 25th 2009
Re-Received Lil-Tags: August 24th, 2009
Received Big Tags: October 5th, 2009
Promoted to Corporal: January 30, 2010
Promoted to Sergeant: April 19, 2010
Temp. Resigned: August 6, 2010
Returned: January 29, 2013

Offline BFM_Hydra

• BFM Admin
  • BFM Rules Guru and Forum Pwner.
« Reply #241 on: August 05, 2009, 06:20:50 AM »
Well, the tsunami didn't come from the river it just took out the whole area is what I was implying.

BFM_Hydra Signature: Miser
Soccer Trophy: Igor
Scrim Season VII Trophy: H@ngm@n

Thanks guys!

TESTIMONIAL
"Hydra knows the forums like a spider knows it's web." - BFM_Jimmy 5/9/09

"Hydra, 300 posts to you is like pocket money to the Monopoly guy." - BFM_Jimmy 11/9/09

Offline BFM_SüprM@ñ

• BFM Admin
« Reply #242 on: August 05, 2009, 08:06:16 AM »
-nods- That's generally what tsunamis do. That's their "thing".
Being a good racer in Halo isn't just about getting the best times. You have to know where your teammates and enemies are, and most of all... how to be crafty! XD -nods-

Props to Plixity for the first sig, Slayton for the Season XIII trophy sig, and Jane for the banner! Thx guys! ^.^

Offline BFM_LËÕ

• Sergeant
  • Brohoof
    • My Sigs
« Reply #243 on: August 05, 2009, 03:32:10 PM »
woot thanks super!!

Detective Superman had just wrapped up a case in the upper town district of icefields  and since he was in the area he decided to stop by and pay his friend Dr. Hydra a visit at the museum. Dr. Hydra was the director in charge at the museum and had been so for the past five years. By all accounts, he was doing a fantastic job.

When Superman arrived at his friend's office, he saw that he was in the middle of looking over some résumés.

"I'm looking to hire a new tour guide to help with a new ancient Chinese exhibit that's due to arrive next week" said Dr. Hydra. "I expect that this exhibit will attract hundreds of visitors and to tell you the truth, I'm a little worried that I may not be able to find a suitable guide to help with the attraction."

Detective Superman decided to sit down and assist his comrade sort through the large stack of resumes. They were near the end of the pile when Dr. Hydra pointed out a resume to Superman that he felt might be from a suitable candidate.

Typed on a plain sheet of white paper was the resume of a man whose name was Leo The Lion . Under his qualifications he had a few relevant jobs listed with all the required references but it wasn't the job history that caught Dr. Hydra's attention. Rather, under the heading of hobbies and interests, leo had listed that he was very much interested in the Chinese culture and had been studying their language, alphabet, geography, religions, history, and customs for close to ten years. The resume then went on to list other desirable traits and details that would be of some benefit to the position.

"I think we may have found our candidate," said Dr. Hydra. "With his previous job experience and his extensive background knowledge of the Chinese culture, I doubt I will be able to find anyone else that is more suited for the task. I think I'll give him a call and see if we can meet this afternoon."

"I'd hold off on phoning him just yet if I were you. There's something off about his resume that leads me to believe that he is not being totally honest about his qualifications."

What mistake did Leo make in his resume?
There is no Them. There are only facets of Us.

Offline Nateo

• Junior Poster
  • Oppa! Oppa!
« Reply #244 on: August 06, 2009, 06:20:00 PM »
He wrote that he had studied their alphabet which the Chinese do not technically have one? (not really sure)

Thank you very much Mderms for the amazing sig!!!! YAY!!!                       Big thanks to Blitz!!!! YAYZ!!

Thanks!

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

Offline BFM_Hydra

• BFM Admin
« Reply #245 on: August 06, 2009, 06:21:19 PM »
What happened to all the other posts? This had already been answered and a new one already posted.

Thanks guys!

TESTIMONIAL

"Hydra, 300 posts to you is like pocket money to the Monopoly guy." - BFM_Jimmy 11/9/09

Offline BFM_Hydra

• BFM Admin
« Reply #246 on: August 06, 2009, 06:21:37 PM »
Never mind, I knew what happened.

MXY can you please post your riddle again?

Btw, Nateo, you are correct.

Thanks guys!

TESTIMONIAL

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #247 on: August 06, 2009, 07:17:25 PM »
Never mind, I knew what happened.

MXY can you please post your riddle again?

Btw, Nateo, you are correct.

LOL

Okay, here it is AGAIN!  (GL, Kiwi!  :winkgrin: )

Sergeant Douglas Morson and Officer Angella Stout of the Hillshire Police were seated Wednesday morning at the Dobson kitchen table. David Herbert Dobson, professor emeritus of history at Dartmouth, finished pouring coffee and sat down.

"Perhaps, professor, you could describe the letter again," said the burly Morson.

"As I have told you, sergeant," Dobson replied, frowning, "the letter was written and signed by President Lincoln in 1863. Its recipient was John Hacker, a Shakespearean authority of the day with whom Lincoln conducted a brief correspondence. You will find the text in Basler's Collected Works of Lincoln. A writer from Americana magazine visited my home last year and profiled the letter, including its location.

"As you know, my basement is nicely fixed up," he continued. "Until last week, the framed letter hung on my basement wall, just outside the door to the small bathroom. When I went down last Friday morning, I discovered that someone had removed the back of the frame, taken the letter, and inserted as a laughable substitute a wrinkled copy of the handwritten Gettysburg Address."

"And you owned the letter for how long?" asked Morson.

"Nine years. I finally decided to donate it to Baker Library at Dartmouth, and was going to hand it over in three weeks. I never got around to having it insured."

Morson glanced at Stout, who nodded almost imperceptibly.

"Your basement had three visitors last week, professor," said Stout. "John Healy of Carney Furnaces came on Tuesday afternoon to clean your furnace. He has been with the company about five months. Ken Cantwell, who has been with the town water department for many years, stopped by on Wednesday afternoon to read your meter, as he does every four months. On Thursday morning, the tank of the toilet down there overflowed, and your wife called in Russell McNutt, a local plumber."

"That's right. I was away at a conference all day Thursday."

"McNutt was tried for petty theft six years ago, but acquitted," noted Morson. "Were any prints were found on the frame, Angella?"

"No, sarge. And no one has tried to sell the letter."

"It couldn't be sold!" exclaimed Dobson. "It was too well known. The theft must have been arranged by a private collector. My pending donation to the library was common knowledge in Dartmouth and Lincoln circles."

"I see." Morson frowned in thought. "Well, there were no signs of forced entry. You always keep your house locked, professor? And you and Mrs. Dobson had no other visitors last week?"

"Correct on both points," Dobson replied sadly.

"Does anyone else have a key to your house?"

"No."

"Any particular reason why you had your furnace cleaned now?"

"Well, I've had it done every two to three years, whenever it occurs to me. There are eight or nine companies around here that clean furnaces. I can never remember which one I last used, so I just picked one at random. We made the appointment about two weeks ago."

"Professor," said Stout, "I understand that these men did their work downstairs without supervision. Is that right?"

"Yes. Doris or I just showed them the stairs and let them do their jobs. I didn't have occasion to go down there from Tuesday morning until Friday."

Morson smiled.

"Angella, have any of the three shown a previous interest in historical documents or artifacts?" he asked.

Stout smiled too. "Not a trace, sarge."

"Very well." Morson pushed back his chair and stood up. "Thank you, professor. I think I know whom we need to question further to get this resolved."

Whom did Sgt. Morson suspect of involvement in the theft?

Why did he suspect them?

« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 07:23:38 PM by MrMxyzptlk »
Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline BFM_Hydra

• BFM Admin
« Reply #248 on: August 06, 2009, 10:03:26 PM »
It has to be the meter reader.

He's the only one that can be predicted to visit the house!

ie. Any person who hired someone to steal the document couldn't have predicted the need for a plumber of furnace cleaner, but the meter reader comes periodically.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 11:03:25 PM by BFM_Hydra »

Thanks guys!

TESTIMONIAL

Offline BFM_SüprM@ñ

• BFM Admin
« Reply #249 on: August 06, 2009, 10:57:38 PM »
o.o my post has disappeared... = /

Not cool.

Anyway, my hypothesis was that the wife received a call from someone who wanted to buy it, decided that she could benefit from it and then messed up the toilet so that she could hire the plumber to steal it for her while she was "busy" doing other stuff.

My supporting evidence:

The fact that Herbert (Formerly Hubert Herbert Hudson xD) was donating it to the library was "common knowledge in Dartmouth and Lincoln circles."

"The framed letter hung on my basement wall, just outside the door to the small bathroom."

The fact that the wife called in the plumber.

The assumption that the plumber would be wearing gloves to fix the toilet, I know I would... Hence the lack of prints.

Also, the fact the plumber was called in on a Thursday morning when the Professor hadn't been down there since Tuesday to use it. = )

And.... the fact that the letter was replaced by a wrinkled up Gettysburg Address replica/copy... the wife, who saw the letter, took enough notice to wrinkle up the substitute (which I imagine the letter was wrinkled as well) and then replaced it with a very handy Gettysburg Address which was probably just lying around the house.

Edit: My other evidence that would make it less likely that the others would have stolen it would be that the meter reader would've had plenty of opportunities to steal it before. The guys cleaning the furnace were picked at random.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 11:01:39 PM by SüprM@ñ »

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #250 on: August 06, 2009, 11:04:43 PM »
It has to be the meter reader.

He's the only one that can be predicted to visit the house!

ie. Any person who hired someone to steal the document couldn't have predicted the need for a plumber of furnace cleaner.

Well, Kiwi was REAL close on his (now long-gone!) previous post, but the nod goes to Hydra for getting the answer spot-on!

GJ! Hydro!

(Sry Soupee!  ::) )

Offline BFM_SüprM@ñ

• BFM Admin
« Reply #251 on: August 06, 2009, 11:09:24 PM »
v.v -needs to think less?-

xD Nice job Hydra. = )

Offline BFM_Hydra

• BFM Admin
« Reply #252 on: August 06, 2009, 11:25:52 PM »
Alright, here goes another one of my made up fantasy deaths!

Sergeant Paul Kouriopolous sat on the chair in front of the owner of the house, nodding thoughtfully with a pen in lodged above his ear. The owner was still pretty shaken up after what he had discovered - a dead body in his bathroom. This just didn't happen in Albertown! No one ever even ran a red light, let alone committed a horrendous murder.

"Okay," Paul said breaking the deathly silence. "Run me through it again."

"Well," said Nathan and shifted uncomfortably in his chair. "I got home from work at around eight, as usual for a Thursday night. I walked in and turned the light on in the lounge before heading over to the bench where I had left a box of tissues earlier. I had a bit of a chill and reached for a tissue to blow my nose, and I noticed that the box and tissues were stained blood-red. I immediately ran out to go and throw up in the bathroom, which is where I saw the dead body." He said all this very quickly, as though he wanted to remove it from his memory forever.

"Can anybody verify your wherabouts for the entire day?" Paul asked. "Just a mandatory routine check" he assured Nathan, when he saw the shock on his face.

"My boss was at work all day with me, and also dropped me home in his ute." He pointed to the cast on his arm. "I can't drive you see, so he offered to give me lifts until it heals."

Paul nodded. "One more question. Do you know the deceased?"

Nathan answered quickly. "No, I've never seen him before."

"Thank you," Paul said calmly. "You are free to go. We will contact you if we have any further questions."

Nathan got up and left the room silently, still with an anxious look on his face. Paul knew that something didn't quite add up. There were no signs of forced entry, and the deceased had died due to an enormous amount of head trauma. There was blood all over the bathroom.

Paul got up and drove to the house to check out the crime scene. Nathan wasn't allowed back until tomorrow. He went back into the bathroom where she fell and died, and he noticed that some of her shirt had ripped off on a loose screw on the cupboard. He studied it closely, and realised it was the pocket of some sort of uniform of a cleaning company.

He rang the cleaning company and had a long conversation with the manager. Satisfied, he put the receiver down and ordered the arrest of Nathan and eventually he was convicted of involuntary manslaughter.

How had this happened?

Thanks guys!

TESTIMONIAL

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #253 on: August 07, 2009, 10:32:27 AM »
Paul nodded. "One more question. Do you know the deceased?"

Nathan answered quickly. "No, I've never seen him before."

and

Paul got up and drove to the house to check out the crime scene. Nathan wasn't allowed back until tomorrow. He went back into the bathroom where she fell and died, and he noticed that some of her shirt had ripped off on a loose screw on the cupboard.[...]

Dunno the answer yet, but the fact that Nathan thought the deceased was a MAN instead of a woman is pretty-good proof that - if he killed her - he didn't know who she was....

(Unless upon arriving home he found this unknown (hired, not-the-usual cleaning) person in his bathroom, grabbed the (pretty-darned heavy?!?) tissue box and beaned her with it thinking it to be a robber or some such....)

Offline BFM_Hydra

• BFM Admin
« Reply #254 on: August 07, 2009, 02:41:40 PM »
(Unless upon arriving home he found this unknown (hired, not-the-usual cleaning) person in his bathroom

Yes

grabbed the (pretty-darned heavy?!?) tissue box and beaned her with it

Noo

thinking it to be a robber or some such....)

Yes!

Now just figure out how he killed her! :XD:

(The him/her thing was a great pickup, but actually a typo LOL)

Thanks guys!

TESTIMONIAL

Print