Print 

Author Topic: Ingame Text  (Read 1484 times)

Dr Decoy

Ingame Text
« on: August 01, 2009, 11:56:46 AM »

( If this belongs in the general board or anywhere else, feel free to move it there. I wasn't sure on where it should be posted. Thanks. )

I've seen several different screen shots with a variety of text color, font, size, even position in Halo. I would just like to know if it is possible to change that and how. The reason I want to change it is because in some maps  ( Ice Fields, Sidewinder )  the white text is unreadable with the snowy environments.

I'm going to take a guess and say that if it is possible to change the text settings in Halo, it's the configuration settings document located in the 'CONTROLS' folder, which is in the main Halo folder.

If this is possible, please elaborate. Also, which color do you think would be best across all racing maps.

Thanks! Doc :)

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
Re: Ingame Text
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 12:15:39 PM »
(I seriously need to make a thread in the Tech FAQ about this....  ::) )

See this thread for info on how to edit existing Halo files to do it, and warnings about why NOT to use "Halo font editor" programs! (And if you DO try a font editor program, read [url=http://www.bfmracing.net/forums/index.php?topic=3325.0]here about how to dig yourself out of that hole! (Note: I know of several instances where, even following those directions, the user was NOT able to fix their Halo fonts without doing a complete computer nuke & pave!  :o )

Also, I need to add my favorite two pieces of advice about editing these files:

1) MAKE A COPY of any file you're going t edit BEFORE you touch it!

2) The hexidecimal "color value" strings MUST BE EIGHT (8 ) characters in length, NOT just six (6) (as is ERRONEOUSLY shown in the referenced quoted text!!) The first two should always be "ff" ("FF".)

Oh yeah: And the case of the text does NOT matter....

« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 12:50:48 PM by BFM_JANE »
Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline BFM_JANE

• Major
  • Despite the cost of living, it remains popular.
Re: Ingame Text
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 12:49:46 PM »
I used a font editor, and will again once (or if) I can extract it from my old computer. The problem came when I deleted it. And boy did it cause a problem!

"Mxy's way" is safer and probably better, and definitely copy the file before changing it.

The font editor is easier, if you live life play Halo on the edge. :P

I do not endorse font editors, just here sharing opinions.

Signed-
The black sheep of halo font changing

Print