Print 

Author Topic: The pre-boarding reload  (Read 2204 times)

Offline BFM_Donut

• BFM Admin
    • Carp Without Cars
The pre-boarding reload
« on: August 05, 2009, 08:40:54 AM »
It's kind of a pet peeve of mine: You fired off 2 or 3 rounds from the assault rifle to get my attention, so I stopped to let you climb aboard the hog I'm driving. It's a risk I'm taking; I'm making myself a big, fat, juicy target for some rocket or nade, but hey, I want a gunner. It's more laps for the team, and (assuming we can survive past the boarding stage) it improves our odds of survival (especially if you know how to gun). And it's just neighborly. So I'm fine with stopping.

But could you please not suddenly remember those 2 or 3 extra bullets just before you board the hog, and stop to reload, adding agonizingly long seconds to the boarding operation? Do you honestly think those two extra bullets in the chamber are going to make a big enough difference in your chances of survival after a subsequent spill to justify the increased chance that we're both going to go BOOM while you reload?

Arrgh. I sometimes feel tempted to just drive away in that situation. I know it would be obnoxious to do that, and I don't actually do it, but seriously, I'm not sure there's any other way to break people of the pre-boarding-reload habit (which, in the spirit of full confession, is a habit I need to work on myself).

Pvt Donut

Offline BFM_JANE

• Major
  • Despite the cost of living, it remains popular.
Re: The pre-boarding reload
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 10:36:29 AM »
It's actually not a habit, it's an unfortunate mistake resulting from their eagerness to get in and get going.

You know you press E to get in, right? E is the action button. E will also reload your weapon if you're not standing in front of or on something (empty hog seat or available weapon to pick up, respectively).  So if they start pressing E too soon, before the "press E to enter gunner's seat" (or whatever it says) shows up, they will start to reload. Grr!

It's just as frustrating to the reloader as it is to the person who stopped to pick them up. Hopefully everyone survives it and thanks for stopping!

Offline Toe Tag

• Junior Poster
  • You don't want any part of me.
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 08:57:29 PM »
What Jane said.  I may well be the fat-fingered reloader that, um, causes Pvt Donut to respawn.
LIfe is good.  Vacation is better!

Offline Liam

• Senior Poster
  • BOXISM!......... Resistance Is Futile!
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 10:15:28 PM »
They shouldn't have made both E and R reload......tis a pain :P

May 13, 09-Got Halo
Later May, 09- Stumbled onto BFM server, loved it
June 24. 09-Joined Forums
August 9th, 09-Applied to be PR
Sept. 22, 09-Earned Vent Access
Nov. 12, 09-Earned Lil Tags!
Mar. 26, 10-Earned Big Tags!
Jan. 3, 11-Stepped Down from BFM
© LiamFilm™

Offline McSkittles

• Senior Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 11:30:22 PM »
I thought you had to it R to reload and E to get into a hog? or does E also reload? I don't believe it does for me :P

^^ Done by me(freshly updated :))

^^ Done by SPiDEY

^^ Big thanks to bl!Tz'

Offline Toe Tag

• Junior Poster
  • You don't want any part of me.
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 08:25:46 PM »
E is a multipurpose "do what needs to be done" or "do what it says on the lower left corner" key.  If the message says "Press E to swap" $weapon, "Press E to activate light bridge",  or "Press E to enter" $seat, then pressing E will do just that.  If there is no message or thing to do then pressing E defaults to reloading.

If you figured out how to change that, McSkittles, then I'd like to know how you made the change!
LIfe is good.  Vacation is better!

Offline Liam

• Senior Poster
  • BOXISM!......... Resistance Is Futile!
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 09:01:19 PM »

If you figured out how to change that, McSkittles, then I'd like to know how you made the change!

Yes plz

May 13, 09-Got Halo
Later May, 09- Stumbled onto BFM server, loved it
June 24. 09-Joined Forums
August 9th, 09-Applied to be PR
Sept. 22, 09-Earned Vent Access
Nov. 12, 09-Earned Lil Tags!
Mar. 26, 10-Earned Big Tags!
Jan. 3, 11-Stepped Down from BFM
© LiamFilm™

Offline BFM_Booyah

• General
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 12:10:39 AM »
There are two things I do to minimize this happening.  I have a habit of always reloading my weapon the second I am done firing.  The E button can't default to the reloading action when your weapon is full.  You will also very rarely ever catch me hitting the E button only once...when it comes to getting in and out of hogs that is.  When it is time for me to hit the E button to get in the hog I will start tapping it rapidly until I see that the action has started.  As long as you are not still tapping by the time the action (either getting in or out of the hog) is finished the extra taps will not carry over and perform more actions.  So in the event that I did not reload like I normally do and my first tap starts a reload, it won't be but a fraction of a second later that my next tap gets me in the hog.  The good thing is that the reloading action does not have to finish before it will let you get in the hog so, with practice, there is no reason why that dreaded delay has to happen even when an accidental reload happens.

"Compared to war, all other forms of human endeavor shrink to insignificance." - General George S. Patton Jr.

Offline ·WídgêT·

• Posts Too Much
  • Fail gun at your service
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2009, 09:04:43 AM »
Going off what Booyah said, you can also shorten the reloading process by meleeing. I learned this tactic when I was in a heavies clan way back when. As soon as the rocket is put into the chamber you can melee and complete the reload, shaving off roughly 1 second off the reloading time and giving you the opportunity to fire quicker. This becomes EXTREMELY important when you're in a duel with another rocketeer and you're both reloading at the same time. Getting that shot out faster could mean the difference between a kill and a death.

What ticks me off more about this whole situation is when I accidentally press "E" to reload WHILE IN THE HOG! Gahhh!!!

(Thankfully I mash the E button and usually get right back in :P)

Thank you Tanger!

Not for wealth, rank, or honor, but for personal worth and character
Cheers, Marty!

http://8tracks.com/widget4nz
Check out my mixes and sign up for the site. It has yet to do me wrong

Print