Print 

Author Topic: Road Trip Chronicles  (Read 665 times)

Offline coastergeek

• Newbie Poster
  • Live Steam RULZ!!!
Road Trip Chronicles
« on: August 10, 2009, 11:14:39 AM »
srry if this has been done already.

Do you have road trips that you would like to tell or show? Post them here! (if you are gonna post pics, please try to resize them for those with slower modems, unless they are already small)

Well I just got back from a large scaled railroad called Bittercreek & Western. It's located near Arroyo Grande CA. They have a 7.5 in. gauge railroad (which means the track the trains run on are 7.5 inches in between the rails) and an HO railroad which wasn't showcased when I went. We loaded up our live steam locomotive Friday morning early morning, left at 7 AM, and got there at 5:30 PM.After setting up camp, despite it was getting dark when we got there, we fired up and got ready for the night run and played trains till 11 PM. Next morning on Saturday after breakfast we fired our steam engine at 10 AM and didn't really shut her down till 9:30 PM. Sunday morning we packed up camp and loaded our locomotive on the trailer and hit the road at 11 AM and got home just in time for dinner.

The Bittercreek & Western had a very charming appeal. If we had the choice we would've left Monday, and even still we would've wanted to stay. The ppl there were all friendly and got to know them well but some we already knew.

The event that was held there was a narrow gauge meet (which means any gauge below standard gauge, which is 4ft 8 1/4 in. between the rails, is considered narrow gauge). Our locomitive is a 36 in. scaled narrow gauge steam engine, the other gauges that were there ranged between 36, and 20 in.. Even though I'm mentioning all these different gauges, they all ran on the 7.5 in. gauge, they all have a different scale per foot. Our enigine, because its a 36 in. gauge, is scaled to 2.5 inches=1ft in real life. The smaller the gauge, the bigger the scale.

These are examples of the different gauges/scales. the one on the far left is 3 in. gauge which make it in real life 30 in. gauge. In the middle is 3 3/4 in. scale which is 2 ft gauge. On the far right is 2.5 in. scale which is 3 ft gauge.

the one on the left is 4.5 in. scale which is 20 in. gauge. on the right is a standard gauge engine which is 1.5 in. scale.

That is our steam loco.

This was is a time lapsed pic of one of the engines. Just thought it was cool to do.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2009, 01:18:35 PM by coastergeek »
"My mama always told me,'Stupid is as stupid does.'"--Forrest Gump
""Great scott!!"--Dr.Emmet Brown (Doc)--Back to the Future
"You shee Aushtin Powerzh and fazha....I like goooooolld. The looksh of it, the shmell of it, the tashte of it."--Goldmember--Austin Powers 3

Print