Print 

Author Topic: Playing Halo Without the CD  (Read 10301 times)

Offline Taipan™

• Posts Too Much
Playing Halo Without the CD
« on: September 14, 2007, 03:49:59 AM »
Since the IMAGE was removed this tutorial is basically useless and I am also getting completely spammed by people requesting the Halo Image or requesting my help in how to make their own images. I do not know of any program that is free which will create an ISO, MDF or IMG, only programs that require money so I have not made any tutorials on how to make your own Mini Image. I have created a new image which only contains the key section and table of contents of the halo disk without any author content, doing this has also made it less then 2mb in size.

I have moved this tutorial to the Allied Enemies forums where the image is present, I will not post a link to it because it is against BFM policy. I hope in doing this it will make everyone else's lives, but mainly mine :P a little easier

Would a Moderator please unsticky this topic and move it back to the tech support section so it will slowly die again, it does contain discussions over the use of different image mounting programs which could be useful to some people
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 10:12:06 AM by [Ć] Taipan »

Offline BFM_BluAdpt

• BFM Admin
Re: Playing Halo Without the CD
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 08:08:48 AM »
Your are correct Daemon tools is an excellent way to use your programs without wearing out your cd-rom drive.  Please note however that you must have a legal copy of the software you are using.  The image you make would be an archive backup copy of the software.

I personally use the program to backup and keep my cd's in pristine working order.  The actual cd's stay in a case and don't get lost, scratched, or broken.

Taipan,

Image link removed as posting and copying copywrited software is illegal.  Regardless of whether or not you have it installed it is illegal to copy copywrited software.  That being the case someone copying the software that doesn't have a valid license would be breaking the law.  The only way that you can legally copy software is for your own backup copy.

Please DO NOT post any copywrited software on this site!  We do not allow pirating in any form...

Thanks for your help on this - BFM_BluAdpt

Offline The Rebel™

• Posts Too Much
  • Rebel the Ragin Cajun
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 08:59:01 AM »
You may use Daemon Tools to make your own image of your halo CD. That would be perfectly legal :)
Currently traveling through the unknown times in my life. I will be back when i find myself.

Thanks for the sig BFM_H@ngm@n

Offline BFM_BluAdpt

• BFM Admin
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 05:52:51 PM »
I am merely stating what the license for most software states in its license.  You are correct as I stated you can make a backup of your own software.

That program is an excellent resource to backup your software and keep from wearing your cd-rom drive out.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2007, 08:26:37 AM by BFM_BluAdpt »

Offline Forseti

• Junior Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2007, 05:38:36 PM »
hmm at least one of these threads disappeared, and it all seems legal to me, but my question somewhere that went poof was that the img link did not work even before you removed it and was there a way to make you own img file _ Actually I think I asked if you have a tutorial for that too? But looks like Rebel says you can do that with Daemon Tools and I assume it tells you how?

Offline FlameDragon

• Junior Poster
  • hack and slash my way to victory.
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2007, 05:57:17 PM »
im not sure abought dameon i used that before but never saw a option to make the img from it i bought alcholl 120% for my backup copys i also used it to make 2.4mb mini imgs for halo so it takes littel space alcholl 120% is easy to used i preer .mds files over iso this is just my opinion virtual cds on pc are legal under the fact u are alowd to have a backup of evrey cd u own as long as u dont share it over internet and u keep the originol cd evan if it breaks or ur cd drive(like mine that spins at over 7400rmp sherders it into 1000s pices)kills it then ur fine and it legal from my understanding of the law
« Last Edit: September 15, 2007, 09:27:43 PM by flamedragon »

Offline BFM_Hydra

• BFM Admin
  • BFM Rules Guru and Forum Pwner.
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2007, 10:39:48 PM »
Maze, we just made it clear that we are not allowing any form of download of a Halo Image file because it infringes copywrite laws. Mod please remove...

BFM_Hydra Signature: Miser
Soccer Trophy: Igor
Scrim Season VII Trophy: H@ngm@n

Thanks guys!

TESTIMONIAL
"Hydra knows the forums like a spider knows it's web." - BFM_Jimmy 5/9/09

"Hydra, 300 posts to you is like pocket money to the Monopoly guy." - BFM_Jimmy 11/9/09

Offline FlameDragon

• Junior Poster
  • hack and slash my way to victory.
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2007, 06:17:55 AM »
insted of posting download links all users can use a program like alchohl 120% to make their own img file for it legaly for private use

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 09:06:00 PM »

Once again (as I did in the old forums) I must caution AGAINST the use of DAEMON TOOLS, as it installs itself in such a manner as to open your PC up to a whole new realm of possible really nasty infections that are VERY hard to remove.  (DT installs a driver into the BASIC BOOT RECORD OF YOUR HARD DISK.  Several really nasty viruses out there use this as an exploit to install hard-to-find/-remove polymorphic viruses and trojans that can pretty-much only be remove with a LOW-LEVEL HDD nuke & pave! (NOT for the non-expert PC mavens....)

I suggest that you PURCHASE one of the many "Virtual CD/DVD" programs out there to accomplish this instead.  (I use this one, FYI.)

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline BFM_saes

• BFM Admin
  • oops....
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 09:34:31 PM »
Am I allowed to post a link to a Halo image file which is <1MB, and does not contain anything which would allow you to install Halo?

(Most, if not all, files contained are filled with gibberish to trick Halo into thinking the disc is installed.)

Offline BFM_Hydra

• BFM Admin
  • BFM Rules Guru and Forum Pwner.
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 10:00:59 PM »
No, sorry, Saes. It's still a game image and breaks copyright laws. You can have it for personal use but we can't allow you to distribute them on these forums. People can make their own images.

BFM_Hydra Signature: Miser
Soccer Trophy: Igor
Scrim Season VII Trophy: H@ngm@n

Thanks guys!

TESTIMONIAL
"Hydra knows the forums like a spider knows it's web." - BFM_Jimmy 5/9/09

"Hydra, 300 posts to you is like pocket money to the Monopoly guy." - BFM_Jimmy 11/9/09

Offline Taipan™

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 03:53:28 AM »
No, sorry, Saes. It's still a game image and breaks copyright laws. You can have it for personal use but we can't allow you to distribute them on these forums. People can make their own images.

The key at the beginning of a CD's data is not covered by copyright laws only the authors content is. However have fun trying to get just the key without also getting some of the content along with it.

Nice dig up of a very old thread, thought this tutorial was in the old forums

Ive been using Daemon tools for about 4 years now and haven't got a single virus involving this exploit (everything is exploited when it comes to windows anyway). Most virus's are still obtained by not being careful with dodgy downloadable programs, sites, emails and inadequate protection. In otherwords I don't blame Daemon Tools and still think it to be a great easy to use "free" program.

I might one day also refine this tutorial and also make a tutorial on how to create your own small image of the key that tell the game that there is the disk in the drive (probably using Alcohol 120%)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 03:58:46 AM by [Ć] Taipan »

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 12:49:55 PM »

... Since we're passing along stories about Daemon Tools & vulnerability....

FYI: My son had installed DT (against my advice) and was/is careful about downloading and sites visited, . . . BUT he download an ISO image from a friend, and like a good Netizen scanned it with AVG .... which did NOT find the MBR virus inside the image that when he mounted into DT used the DT driver to then infect his computer, requiring a "low level" nuke & pave. (Four days work....)

Lessons learned:

- We now know that AVG does NOT scan inside of ISO images!  :-\

- He uses another image mounting program now, that does NOT assert itself so openly into the OS. (I forget what he uses now, but I'll check with him and edit into here.)

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline raen7

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2008, 08:21:45 AM »
I'd like to add that MagicISO is another good tool both for ripping/working-with ISO images and for virtual-drives (technically the virtual drive app., MagicDisc, is a separate download but it becomes part of the same tray-icon).

As it's been said, you should only make an IMG/ISO of your own copy of Halo PC, and only use your own license-key to install.

Offline BFM_saes

• BFM Admin
  • oops....
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2008, 10:26:24 PM »
While we're at it, for those who have/use Alcohol 120%, it comes with a virtual drive component. (Although it did do something w/ drivers when I installed it...)

Print