Print 

Author Topic: Aiming Ahead  (Read 6233 times)

Offline Vidiot

• Newbie Poster
Aiming Ahead
« on: September 22, 2007, 07:47:09 PM »
Well I have been having this problem now for a while, actually ever since I have been doing a LOT of gaming online (about 1 year ago I started to game a lot online :D). I have Comcast Cable Internet and yes, everything in our house is just fine. I mean that our router and cable modem and everything work. My dad has also helped me a ton and we both know that everything is working perfectly fine.

In mid-game I get between 67-150ms ping. The ping isn't that high (though some people get much lower D: ) yet I have to aim about one person in front of people to get it to hit properly. It's pretty annoying, and it makes it VERY hard to snipe with people because I always have to aim ahead.

I've talked to comcast a ton in the past year and they always tell me that "we don't support online gaming" which basically means "Deal with it". My internet is perfectly fine, I mean there is no lag when loading webpages or anything. On top of this everyone tells me that they can shoot me just fine O_O. I've basically come to the conclusion that my UPLOAD is working fine yet it's not keeping up with the packets it is downloading (like where the person is on my screen ETC).

This isn't the only game either. Other FPS (not just on the comp) have problems like this as well.

Any help would be appreciated! :)

Offline ºReFº

• Senior Poster
Re: Aiming Ahead
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2007, 08:18:19 PM »
Well when your sniping someone across a map you have to aim a little infront of em if they are walking cause the bullet takes time to get there.

Are you talking about someone standing still within 25m?

Offline Vidiot

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2007, 08:38:56 PM »
No not just the sniping. I mean with the pistol and Assault Rifle and ANY weapon, even super close range I have to aim ahead of where they are walking. It can be very hard when everyone is jumping a lot and such D:

Offline BFM_Hydra

• BFM Admin
  • BFM Rules Guru and Forum Pwner.
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2007, 09:40:26 PM »
Thats the idea. Even in real life you can't just aim at someone walking and expect to hit them, you must aim to where they are going to be when the bullet reaches them.

I am aussie and get a 267-333 ping...We must aim around 1 whole hog length in front of where we would normally aim because of the lag difference. I would say not to worry, but to practice ;)

BFM_Hydra Signature: Miser
Soccer Trophy: Igor
Scrim Season VII Trophy: H@ngm@n

Thanks guys!

TESTIMONIAL
"Hydra knows the forums like a spider knows it's web." - BFM_Jimmy 5/9/09

"Hydra, 300 posts to you is like pocket money to the Monopoly guy." - BFM_Jimmy 11/9/09

Offline Plixity

• Posts Too Much
  • I'm in your base, killing your mans.
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 10:58:52 PM »
Poor aussie's :(.

But yeah, Halo has SOME realistic-ness to it, and aiming ahead is one of those. Just practice, and you'll get good at it :).

Offline Vidiot

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2007, 11:09:02 PM »
Thats the idea. Even in real life you can't just aim at someone walking and expect to hit them, you must aim to where they are going to be when the bullet reaches them.

I am aussie and get a 267-333 ping...We must aim around 1 whole hog length in front of where we would normally aim because of the lag difference. I would say not to worry, but to practice ;)
So when your point blank with the pistol it's normal to aim ahead?

Yeah, right. Sure sounds real-istic -_-

And yeah your ping stinks D:

Offline BFM_Hydra

• BFM Admin
  • BFM Rules Guru and Forum Pwner.
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2007, 11:59:44 PM »
Well Vidiot, if they are moving and you aim at them, it doesn't matter how close you are you will miss. You need to aim at where they will be in the bullet passes by.

BFM_Hydra Signature: Miser
Soccer Trophy: Igor
Scrim Season VII Trophy: H@ngm@n

Thanks guys!

TESTIMONIAL
"Hydra knows the forums like a spider knows it's web." - BFM_Jimmy 5/9/09

"Hydra, 300 posts to you is like pocket money to the Monopoly guy." - BFM_Jimmy 11/9/09

Offline Fralalala

• Regular Poster
  • This One Time I Was BFM_British...
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2007, 12:40:00 AM »
Actually i'm not sure the "predictive aiming" was done on purpose, i think Bungie/Ms might have just made some really bad player models and hitboxes... :evil:

Offline Driv3

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2007, 02:10:46 AM »
Actually i'm not sure the "predictive aiming" was done on purpose, i think Bungie/Ms might have just made some really bad player models and hitboxes... :evil:
And no lag compensator that CS does

Offline VxT

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2007, 05:02:57 AM »
That happens to me.

With around 100 - 167 Ping.

Even really close range, i went on CE and practiced slayer on yoyorast, especially sniping, now i can snipe pretty well, compensating for the "lagg" of the bullets, and using pistols is easy because practicing on races is aplentyful.

You get used to it  ;D

Thanks Hangman!

Water found on Mars!

Offline Soníc

• Posts Too Much
  • You've gotta think fast to be fast!
    • A Sonic Fan's paradise! ^^
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2007, 07:55:58 AM »
I agree with what everyone else has said so far, but If You have trouble hitting a still target from any distance with any weapon, then either a). You're a horrible shot or b). You DO have a serious lag problem, and you might wanna check Mxy's lag FAQ and see if it helps.

Sonic
"I'll face it with a grin, I'm never giving in, On with the show!!  I'll top the bill, I'll overkill, I have to find the will to carry on with the, on with the show!!!" -- The Show Must Go On by Queen.  Freddie Mercury will live forever in our hearts.

Special thanks to Mr T for the sonic sig!! :D
You found my secret message!  PM me for a prize!

Offline Vidiot

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2007, 08:22:16 AM »
I agree with what everyone else has said so far, but If You have trouble hitting a still target from any distance with any weapon, then either a). You're a horrible shot or b). You DO have a serious lag problem, and you might wanna check Mxy's lag FAQ and see if it helps.

Sonic
Well half the time when I Head shot a STILL TARGET nothing happens >_>. Then it takes about 2 more HSes on a still target before they die. It's like it's lagging when they aren't moving -_-

Still though I don't see WHY I should have to aim ahead of someone in POINT BLANK RANGE. I mean in real life you don't aim ahead of people in point blank!

I don't see why I would have a BAD lag problem because my internet is just that good. I mean my parents even use it for web design. (I know what your going to ask, and no, my parents aren't causing me to lag)

Offline Soníc

• Posts Too Much
  • You've gotta think fast to be fast!
    • A Sonic Fan's paradise! ^^
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2007, 02:35:42 PM »
Um, did you check mxy's faq?  I know it helped me when I needed it, so It could help you.

Sonic
"I'll face it with a grin, I'm never giving in, On with the show!!  I'll top the bill, I'll overkill, I have to find the will to carry on with the, on with the show!!!" -- The Show Must Go On by Queen.  Freddie Mercury will live forever in our hearts.

Special thanks to Mr T for the sonic sig!! :D
You found my secret message!  PM me for a prize!

Offline Vidiot

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2007, 03:34:17 PM »
Um, did you check mxy's faq?  I know it helped me when I needed it, so It could help you.

Sonic
Yup

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2007, 02:03:07 AM »

Sonic
Yup

And what do you have it set to in Halo?

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Print