Print 

Author Topic: Complaint about and Admin  (Read 1326 times)

Offline (BDCNN) DOG

• Newbie Poster
Complaint about and Admin
« on: November 30, 2009, 11:25:27 PM »
As you guys know who play with me, I play by the rules and really like the servers, and the strict rules that make the game much more fun and keep out the stuff that can and will detract from the game. But, tonight I had an experience that I believe needs to be addressed, and talked about. I have seen this once or twice before, yet don't know if this has ever been brought to open council so it can be discussed. Tonight I was playing on one of the servers, could have been 4, maybe 3, on Danger Canyon, though it does not matter really. BFM Steamer, whom I have played with before, let a hog that had stopped to pick him up pass him by, and then killed me, in a solo hog. I was no threat, and did not attempt to use my hog as a weapon, nor did I vacate my hog to defend myself, as I was being attacked. When I asked why I was attacked, and pointed out that he had a hog, he denied that he did. I repeated that there was a hog in front of them when I came up to them and that they ran away from it towards me. Again he said that that was not the case. Then he said that there was a hog there, but it was going a different way and he wanted my hog instead. I said that that action was shady. My words exactly. I was told that I was disrespecting an admin. I said I was not, just pointing out that I had a problem with that, as I have seen others kicked for doing the same thing. I was then told to drop it quite rudely. I then said that I would take this issue up here, as the middle of a game is not the place for it. Another player made the comment that on admins don't like to have their authority questioned and that I was not being "nice". I stated that I was not being disrespectful but just pointing out a questionable action. Shortly there after I was told that I was not being nice by Steamer. This is out of line. I am well aware that I may get banned for even saying something, but I feel that it needs to be looked at. I play by the rules, and expect the admins I play with to do the same thing. 99.99% of the time they do, and I understand that accidents happen, and people make mistakes, but to be lied to by and admin twice, then told to drop it, then to say that I was not being nice is ridiculous. I am not looking for anything more than for someone to look into this situation, and perhaps put something in place to prevent it from happening  in the future. Like I said to begin with, I have played here on your servers since I got this game, and plan to continue to do so, but at the same time I am a little miffed that I was treated with disrespect when I was questioning something that in many other circumstances could have resulted it a warning or kick, which I have seen. If a hog is available you must take it is my understanding. If it's not going your way, does not make it unavailable, just inconvenient. Thanks again for the ear and I hope that there can be some closure to this and find a solution that is benifitial and understandable. Thanks again!

(BDCNN)Dog

Moved from General board. -JANE

« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 11:37:52 PM by BFM_JANE »

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
Re: Complaint about and Admin
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 01:17:26 AM »
Thanks for bringing this to the forums and (hopefully) not arguing it too long in the server.

You may want to PM Steamer to get his view of the situation, but as best as I can tell, here is my view of things.

* If there is an empty hog you must take it  [ Rule 5.2:   If you are on foot and there is an empty hog available, you must race with it ]

* BFM Admins should always follow scrim rules, which says you should not nade a lone hog, if there are others available (which means empty hogs, not teammates going the wrong direction)

* If we are in a teammate's hog, we cannot jump out to attack on foot  [ Rule 6.14 says:  You may not jump out of a hog to hijack another ]

* We are not obliged to jump in a teammate's hog if it is going the wrong way.  In fact if you're in a teammates hog going the wrong way, you can jump out and walk [ Rule 6.11 says in part:   The only reasons for a gunner or passenger to leave a racing hog are (1) to race in another hog, typically because it has a better weapon, or (2) to proceed to a different flag ]

You must take an empty hog at any time, since you can drive it directly to your next nav.  And I think you really must accept a ride from a teammate if he is going towards your next nav.  But if he's going the wrong way, you may walk to your next nav if you feel it's quicker.

There was no empty hog, he did not exit a hog, he was always on foot, and he chose to nade you instead of taking a ride in his teammate's hog (going the wrong way).  So I don't honestly think he broke a rule.  If it were a scrim, I believe I would have done the same thing - walked towards my nav, hoping to nade an enemy, and if not, my teammates would eventually come by (the right direction) and pick me up.  

Just because it might be technically within the rules doesn't mean it's the best thing to do.  We're allowed to kill other walkers on foot - but often we admins won't do it because we don't want to get into arguments and be called hypocrites.  It's a fine line trying to stay within the rules yet play hard to win.  From what you are saying it sounds like the admin was playing aggressively, but within the rules.

I do see it from your point of view though.  It's hard to know what other racer's navs are, or why they do the things they do.  I can see how it might look "slayery" to not get in a hog, but attack on foot instead.  As admins we have to try to figure out if someone is just trying to rack up kills, or if they're just doing what they think is best to get to their next nav.  And they will often make bad decisions, but as long as their intention is to race we try to give them the benefit of the doubt

I don't know if I have the situation correct.  I'd suggest you discuss it further with Steamer if you like, or you can PM me or any officer if you'd like to go into the rules further.

Always good to race with you - hope to see you on the tracks!

« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 12:16:50 PM by BFM_Kiwi »

Offline (BDCNN) DOG

• Newbie Poster
Re: Complaint about and Admin
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 06:41:32 PM »
The direction of the hog that stopped to pick them up and their direction of travel were the same. I can understand if you were not going that way, as getting to your nav points faster benefits the team as a hole. Its one thing to make a mistake and drop the ball from time to time. I do it almost every day, but the biggest thing is not to lie about it, and then when called on it to get agitated and be rude. I hope that there is a copy of the conversation that went on as it is quite obvious I was not being rude, and the harshness of the rebuttal from steamer was excessive. I just want to have the same rules and experience every time I play, as you do based on the rules that you have implemented for the server. If he would have said, woops, my bad, that would have been it and I would have probably said "its all good", as is my common reply when someone screws up and betrays, or what ever. But, to deny it and then lie about it 3x then be rude when its obvious you were caught in a lie is what I find offensive, that's all. Thanks again for taking the time to look into this, and I'll see you out there.

Print