Print 

Author Topic: A little help with C  (Read 2807 times)

Offline WibblyWib

• Newbie Poster
  • Make it so!
A little help with C
« on: December 02, 2009, 10:59:54 AM »
This year I have been introduced to the programming language C (the devil child of computer languages as far as I can tell). So having pretty much no idea what I'm doing I've already been set the task of writing a Server-client chat app. I tried for weeks to do this with zero success, now trying this msdn tutorial http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms737629(VS.85).aspx but I'm already stuck at
"3.Ensure that the build environment refers to the Include, Lib, and Src directories of the Microsoft Windows Software Development Kit (SDK) or the earlier Platform Software Development Kit (SDK)."Can anyone help me with this? using visual studios 2008

I will probably end up adding more questions if anyone out there is knowlageable on the subject and willing to instruct me!

n.b. using C not C++

Many many thanks
Wibblywib

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
Re: A little help with C
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 11:28:02 AM »

First you'd need to have that SDK on your computer I would say.

To make sure it references, you'd expand your project in the "Solution Explorer" and then find References.  Right click on that and add reference, then using one of the tabs browse and find the SDK.  I don't know the details of how to point to it.  But that would include one or more dll's which contain the SDK methods you might want to call.  Not sure if you'd need the SDK though, probably not.

That's a pretty tough assignment for someone new to any programming language.  Ouch.

Offline BFM_RedFox

• BFM Admin
Re: A little help with C
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2010, 02:26:52 PM »
Can anyone help me with this? using visual studios 2008

Does visual studio 2008 support c language? I got the professional edition but I've never seen the c language.  :eyebrow:

That's a pretty tough assignment for someone new to any programming language.  Ouch.

Yes it is!!! When I remember my apprenticeship we started out with Visual Basic. ::) I found some downloadable examples but it's better when you do it on your own. I think I can help you... I'm used to C#, Java and a little to C++. Give me some time so I can give you some hints with explanations.

Is it a demand that you have to use visual studio?

[EDIT:] Btw: What should the app look like... Shall it run on one computer or via network? Windows/Linux/Mac? One or more clients?

Red Fox

« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 02:34:36 PM by Red Fox »

Print