Print 

Author Topic: Need help with algbra  (Read 11231 times)

Offline Zeek

• Posts Too Much
  • Geetings from Zeke the organoid
Need help with algbra
« on: December 12, 2009, 10:11:35 PM »
i have exams this week and i need help with some algebra that i dont know
ZEEKS PROGRESS                                   List of sig Thanks :D
Applied for Recruitment - 12/9/09             BFM_MrT, Track king, ZakPak, Soz Owned U, Benjy, Tanxs1
Vent - 1/18/09
Small Tags - 4/6/10
Tags got Droped arroud june?
Reapplied 8/23/2010
Vent 9/11/2010 i think
Small Tags 9/20/2010
Big Tags 1/12/11

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
Re: Need help with algbra
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 10:43:57 PM »

Could you be more specific??

Offline McSkittles

• Senior Poster
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 11:12:54 PM »

^^ Done by me(freshly updated :))

^^ Done by SPiDEY

^^ Big thanks to bl!Tz'

Offline Liam

• Senior Poster
  • BOXISM!......... Resistance Is Futile!
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2009, 12:20:51 AM »
Tell me it's polynomials right? Cmon, it's polynomials....Please! I'm good at polynomials  :P I also like to say polynomials....and trinomials, anyway, I'll see if I can help once you narrow it down.  ;D

Polynomials

May 13, 09-Got Halo
Later May, 09- Stumbled onto BFM server, loved it
June 24. 09-Joined Forums
August 9th, 09-Applied to be PR
Sept. 22, 09-Earned Vent Access
Nov. 12, 09-Earned Lil Tags!
Mar. 26, 10-Earned Big Tags!
Jan. 3, 11-Stepped Down from BFM
© LiamFilm™

Offline jim360

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 04:51:19 AM »
I thought the main point of algebra was that you didn't know some things anyway. THat's why they use "x" and "y" and call them "unknowns".

If you put up the specific problem there are plenty of people here who'll be able to help you.
Check out my Short introduction... corner and my "Historical figures who should perhaps be better-known" thread!!

Exciting videos: 1.1 / 1.2 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6

Offline Zeek

• Posts Too Much
  • Geetings from Zeke the organoid
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 01:52:59 PM »
ok like i need help with % of change with sales/taxes and discounts
ZEEKS PROGRESS                                   List of sig Thanks :D
Applied for Recruitment - 12/9/09             BFM_MrT, Track king, ZakPak, Soz Owned U, Benjy, Tanxs1
Vent - 1/18/09
Small Tags - 4/6/10
Tags got Droped arroud june?
Reapplied 8/23/2010
Vent 9/11/2010 i think
Small Tags 9/20/2010
Big Tags 1/12/11

Offline jim360

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 03:22:18 PM »
That's probably still not specific enough - what is the discount, and how much tax is there on what amount of money?

Having said that for a discount of d% you can say that given a starting price of x the new price is x-d*x/100, and similarly you can work what a t% tax rate comes to in real terms by saying that tax=t*y/100, where y is the amount of money that is being taxed.

If you're taxing on the discount price (what you pay after the discount) then in the second formula you would use y=x-d*x/100, and either add or subtract this result to y found earlier.

That's just about all I think there is to it.

As an example: if there's a 30% discount with VAT of 17.5% (the rate in the UK from January 2010) then for an item the shop would sell at £10 normally (excluding VAT) would cost the customer [17.5*(10-(30*10/100))/100]+[10-(30*10)/100]=£8.22 if VAT is worked out based on the discount price, or [17.5*10/100]+[10-(30*10)/100]=£8.75 if, as is probably more usual, VAT is worked out based on the normal selling price.

This is rather ugly, I grant you, but that's economics for you. :P

Check out my Short introduction... corner and my "Historical figures who should perhaps be better-known" thread!!

Offline Liam

• Senior Poster
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2009, 07:17:55 PM »
*blink*  :o

*Runs away to go do polynomials*

May 13, 09-Got Halo
© LiamFilm™

Offline jim360

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2009, 07:52:53 PM »
Well Liam, since you're so keen on Polynomials why don't you go prove the Fundamental Theorem of Algebra for me?

And then I'd love to know about Galois Representations...  :P

Offline Liam

• Senior Poster
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 12:21:01 AM »
The Fundamental Theorem of Algebra says that for any polynomial f(x) with the degree n, where n>0, f must have at least one root, and not more than n roots alltogether. A root is a number x so that f(x) = 0.

Proof. Let n denote the degree of f . Without loss of generality, the assumption can be made that the leading coefficient of f is 1 . Thus, f(z)=zn+n−1m=0cmzm  .

Let R=1+n−1m=0cm  . Note that, by choice of R , whenever zR , f(z)=0 . Suppose that zR . Since R1 , zazb whenever 0ab . Hence, we have the following string of inequalities:

n−1m=0cmzm    1+n−1m=0cmzmzn−1+n−1m=0cmzn−1Rzn−1zn

Since polynomials in z are entire, they are certainly analytic functions in the disk zR . Thus, Rouché's theorem can be applied to them. Since     n−1m=0cmzm    zn  for zR , Rouché's theorem yields that zn and f(z) have the same number of zeroes in the disk zR . Since zn has a single zero of multiplicity n at z=0 , which counts as n zeroes, f(z) must also have n zeroes counted according to multiplicity in the disk zR . By choice of R , it follows that f has exactly n zeroes in the complex plane.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

And what about Galois Representation exactly would you wish to know, three60?
:XD:

**Work Of: Wikipedia user and plantetmath.org**

May 13, 09-Got Halo
© LiamFilm™

Offline jim360

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 02:59:07 AM »
It took a while for me to decipher that :P but I imagine that "0cmzm" means "sum from m=0 to some upper limit [probably n or n-2] of cmzm"? meanwhile, zn=zn, where n and m are natural numbers such that m is less than or equal to m and n is non-zero.

The moral of this story is: don't just copy and paste from a maths document.

Offline Liam

• Senior Poster
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 06:55:27 PM »
Haha, I was in way over my head  :XD:

Plus, I did give them credit    :haw:

**Work Of: Wikipedia user and plantetmath.org**

Hehe, anyway I bow down to you three60, you are the true master of maths.  :P

May 13, 09-Got Halo
© LiamFilm™

Offline Goalie

• Posts Too Much
  • Congrats Jordan Lynch, 3rd place in Heisman!!!
    • York Set/Tech Crew
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 11:07:35 PM »
I know what a large S in front of an expression means, and that's all I need to know about math.  And ANOVA, Simplex, differentials, random variables, curves, vectors, etc...

Hmm, now that I think about it, Industrial Engineering (my major) seems to encompass more types of mathematics than the other aspects of Engineering.  Electricals normally work with Calculus, Mechanicals (and many other types as well) with Physical math.  Industrials need to know Probability and Statistics, Linear Algebra, Calculus, and a few more that I have not learned about yet.  I find it very interesting how integrated math is to my career compared to other related fields.

That being said, math is one of my favorite subjects.  If it's high school algebra, I can most certainly help with that.

And what you just did 360 was business math.  But not like microeconomics doesn't use it.  I mean, I did take a course in that area last semester. ;D
You blame me?  Remember it had to get past 10 other players before I saw the ball.

Thanks to Spidey for this sig!                                                                                                                  .

Offline Miser

• Senior Poster
  • This is Jimmy
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2009, 08:30:46 PM »
What percentage of math help threads go off topic after 5 posts?

Offline gamepanther

• Posts Too Much
  • Problem??
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2010, 03:55:22 AM »

The moral of this story is: don't just copy and paste from a maths document.

LOL ;D ;D ;D :winkgrin: :winkgrin: :winkgrin: :siderofl: :siderofl: :siderofl: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: that is halarious 60

Thanks JANE!

Sig Made By Me.

Thanks Marty!!

............................................................ ............................................................
..........        ..........      ......      ...                  ...                  ...      ....                ....
.........    ..    .........      ......      ...      ...............      ...............      ....      ..............
........    ....    ........      ......      ...      ...............      ...............      ....      ..............
.......              .......      ......      ...                  ...                  ...      ....            ........
......     ......     .......     ......     .................     ................     ...      ....      ..............
.....     ........     .......     ....     ..................     ................     ...      ....      ..............
....     ..........     ........           ......                  ...                  ...      ....                ....
........................................................... .............................................................

Btw just cuz Ben1 haz a higher pitched voice doesn't make him better than meh D:

I miss mah squeakeh voice D: Its harder to be the stereotypical kid on Xbox now :(

The Best Quote Ever By Exodus:

"I will get you unbanned in the next few days. In the meantime go easy on the caffeine."

Print