Print 

Author Topic: Halo Modding  (Read 7401 times)

Offline ¥Mderms¥

• Posts Too Much
  • Muffins
Re: Halo Modding
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2010, 09:56:51 PM »
Seconded...

OH, and IF you decide to mess with skins and bitmaps, don't TOUCH the "multipurpose" skins, and ALWAYS keep the originals, unless you want to re-install Halo half a dozen times.

The "Multipurpose" skins basically refer to weapons, though some other things have them to, but they basically control the third person skins of the weapon (i.e someone else having a golden pistol, instead of just you)

Actually I think you might be thinking of something else (can't think of what though.. :o )

Multipurpose simply tells Halo how light should be displayed on the surface of the object. When editing them you basically use the normal skins bitmap, but colour it in with either green, blue or red.

Green: Put this on light spots, where you want it to glow, or where lights are already on the model to make it more vibrant and bright.

Blue: Shiny! This will control the reflective surface of the texture. You want something super shiny then make the multi all blue.

Red: Detail. This controls how much detail will be shown in these areas colored in red.

I don't suppose it matters "how" blue I make it?

I want my golden hog, pistol, and sniper rifles mighty shiny :S

Offline BFM_Hlao

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2010, 10:22:08 PM »
I'm working on a tutorial for those who might not know how to customise their vehicles with skins. Will post tomorrow. :)

In the meantime:

Kehehehe. ;D I <3 skins.

Offline MrT©

• Posts Too Much
  • Horses just naturally have Mohawk haircuts.
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2010, 04:05:44 AM »
I'm working on a tutorial for those who might not know how to customise their vehicles with skins. Will post tomorrow. :)

Oooh i would love to be able to do modding

Offline BFM_Hlao

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2010, 09:39:34 AM »

*Note: Steps 3, 4 and 5 are unnecessary if you already have a custom skin downloaded. Instead of these steps, just click "Inject Texture" on HMT to upload your new skin.

Step 1: Click the links below to download each of the following programs.

- Halo Mapping Tools (HMT 3.5)

- DXTBmp (Image conversion software)

After downloading, install each program.

Step 2: Open HMT and select File > Open.
Enter the following path: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Halo\MAPS\bloodgulch.map

The "Resource Browser" should now be full of text. Locate [bitm] Bitmap (448 items) and click the little + symbol to the left of it.

Locate and select vehicles\warthog\bitmaps\warthog. Click the button to ensure you keep a backup of the original file.

Step 3: Open DXTBmp and select File > Open.
Browse for the texture (.dds file) that you just saved. Make sure you change your "Files of type" so that all image types are shown.
Select File > Save as > 24 bit BMP Image to save the file as a .bmp.

Step 4: Open your .bmp file using your image manipulation software (i.e. PhotoShop, GIMP, Paint, etc.)

Make any changes you would like (changing colours, adding images, etc.) Once you are finished, save the file.

Step 5: In DXTBmp, select File > Open, and browse for your edited .bmp file.

Select File > Save as > DDS Texture.

Your file is now saved in the correct format.
In HMT, press the button and select your skin. Press Open, and you should receive a message telling you that your texture was successfully imported.
Your new skin should replace the original one on the preview.

Your skin has now been transferred to Halo! Open Halo, and create a new game or join a server that has the type of vehicle you've skinned. You can repeat this process to edit the 'Hog's turret, or any other vehicles, weapons, etc. in the game. :)

If any part of that was unclear, please let me know. Hope this helped.
 d_b
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 02:55:29 PM by BFM_Hlao »

Offline ¥Mderms¥

• Posts Too Much
  • Muffins
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2010, 09:45:05 AM »

In the meantime:

Kehehehe. ;D I <3 skins.

ROFL.

Offline BFM_Octane

• BFM Admin
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2010, 12:42:14 PM »
Nice presentation, Hlao  ;)

We have a large number of skins and skinning tutorials over at our Reskin forums for anyone whos interested. PM Skedog or myself if you would like the link.

Forum is under maintenance but still open. Need to find new download links too as Filefront had an overhaul... Joy... :-\

Download links are currently being replaced.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 11:51:32 AM by BFM_Octane »

Offline Benny

• Junior Poster
  • Florida State Seminols
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2010, 05:35:36 PM »
I don't know if this post is still active, but when I go into the maps folder from DXTBmp program the halo maps file is empty, but when I go into it the normal way it has all the maps. Any ideals?

Offline Moosh

• Regular Poster
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2010, 05:46:26 PM »
That will be because DXTBmp is looking for image/tag files, the files in the map directory are .map files. So I assume your wanting to skin something in the game? To do that you'll need to open the map file in either HMT (Halo Modding Tool) or Eschaton, and look in the bitm section for the thing you want to skin. You then need to extract the original skin and THEN open that in DXTBmp and send it to your editting program of choice.

Offline Benny

• Junior Poster
  • Florida State Seminols
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2010, 06:22:27 PM »
I can't find the .dds file after I save it.
lol, what am I doing wrong this time? ;D

Offline Benny

• Junior Poster
  • Florida State Seminols
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2010, 07:39:06 PM »
My first skin! lol, not vary good tho

lol, just messing around

now to change it back!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 09:16:08 AM by bfm_Benny »

Offline Glêññ Z

• Senior Poster
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2010, 04:10:31 PM »
i made flying tanks, hogs that can do donuts, and go insanly fast as well as doing crazy things :P.. still have to unmod my death island hog and ghost :p till then they be laggy for me lol

Offline Benny

• Junior Poster
  • Florida State Seminols
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2010, 06:09:12 PM »
If I make tanks real fast will I have to remove it before I go into a BFM server? Or do my settings matter?

Offline Moosh

• Regular Poster
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2010, 08:36:13 PM »
You'll have to remove it I think or else halo with either crash or be insanely jumpy and impossible to play.

You could make a copy of the map you're modding and take it out of the halo maps folder, then just put it back when you wanna play around on it

Offline Glêññ Z

• Senior Poster
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2010, 05:02:18 PM »
You'll have to remove it I think or else halo with either crash or be insanely jumpy and impossible to play.

You could make a copy of the map you're modding and take it out of the halo maps folder, then just put it back when you wanna play around on it

actully you dont need to remove it.. tho sugjested.. but if you get into it in a ded server it will want to fly but will go forward and be laggy as any vheical mod (exept skins)  woulnt crash unless halo itself cant handle it

Offline MrT©

• Posts Too Much
  • Horses just naturally have Mohawk haircuts.
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2010, 01:00:56 PM »
Sry about bump, but the HMT link doesnt work

Print