Print 

Author Topic: Study at Yale or MIT for Free !!!  (Read 3591 times)

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
Study at Yale or MIT for Free !!!
« on: December 30, 2009, 11:28:07 AM »

As if.

But seriously, a lot of universities have put most of their popular courses online.  MIT, Yale,  Berkeley I've found, I'm sure there are others.

The course materials: lectures, homework, handouts, lecture video, and sometimes tests are posted online.

You don't "take" the course or get credit - but the information is there if you have an interest. 

Not for the faint-hearted I'm sure.  But curious what music students at Yale learn about?  I guess it's all there if you have the time to read through it.  The only thing missing from most of the courses would be the books.  But there is so much info online these days you might get by with lecture notes and Wikipedia :)

Yale:   http://oyc.yale.edu/    Art, Music, Physics, Chemistry, Political Science, Literature, Atronomy

MIT:  http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/web/home/home/index.htm    Engineering, Architecture, Management, and Game Design (from board games to digital).

Berkeley:  http://webcast.berkeley.edu/courses.php   Economics, Biology, Engineering, Philosophy, Physics and more

I found this out reading about Game Theory, and there was a link to the Yale course on that subject  I didn't get past the first lecture yet.  It's slow going, but I found it very interesting.

Yale Game Theory:  http://oyc.yale.edu/economics/game-theory/contents/sessions.html

Offline BFM_Edison

• Captain
Re: Study at Yale or MIT for Free !!!
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 03:33:34 PM »
They also have lecture podcasts on iTunes you can get (and probably on the sites too).
52.87   60.07   46.40   72.73   68.23   55.10   98.27   84.73

Offline BFM_JANE

• Major
  • Despite the cost of living, it remains popular.
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 03:41:51 PM »

I think the online stuff would be interesting if you were interested in learning it, or learning something new. In the early mornings (when nothing else was on and I didn't have cable or a computer) I would watch some community college course that was taped and played on TV (PBS). It was some music class, learning about different genres and stuff. I found it to be really interesting and I'd tune in every Tuesday or whatever, until the class was over. Learned some stuff too. ;D

I'll check out those sites, I like stuff.

Offline BFM_Edison

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 04:11:15 PM »
52.87   60.07   46.40   72.73   68.23   55.10   98.27   84.73

Offline ¥Mderms¥

• Posts Too Much
  • Muffins

Offline BFM_SüprM@ñ

• BFM Admin
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 08:38:32 PM »
While there isn't a way to study at Yale or MIT for completely free, if your parents/guardians make under 60 thousand a year and you have good enough grades then most Ivy League schools nowadays offer a program that pays tuition for these kids.

-nods-

The reason I know about it was because I was really interested in it, unfortunately I didn't make good enough grades. v.v

Still have to pay for books and lab fees and what not though. Oh, and food, ya need that. -nods-
Being a good racer in Halo isn't just about getting the best times. You have to know where your teammates and enemies are, and most of all... how to be crafty! XD -nods-

Oh... and "v.v" = sad face.

Props to Plixity for the first sig, Slayton for the Season XIII trophy sig, and Jane for the banner! Thx guys! ^.^

Applied for Recruitment: January 22nd, 2008
Received Vent: March 25th, 2008
Received Lil-tags: May 3rd, 2008
Resigned: May 15th, 2008
Re-Applied: June 16th, 2009
Re-Received Vent: July 25th 2009
Re-Received Lil-Tags: August 24th, 2009
Received Big Tags: October 5th, 2009
Promoted to Corporal: January 30, 2010
Promoted to Sergeant: April 19, 2010
Temp. Resigned: August 6, 2010
Returned: January 29, 2013

Offline xOninez

• Junior Poster
  • Just do it.
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2010, 08:44:07 PM »
I wanna go to MIT or Berkley, heard they're one of the best engineer training programs and stuff

Offline jim360

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 08:54:53 AM »
It's a pity they haven't done a course in English Grammar... *cough*
Check out my Short introduction... corner and my "Historical figures who should perhaps be better-known" thread!!

Exciting videos: 1.1 / 1.2 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6

Print