Print 

Author Topic: Vista hard drive space mysteriously disappearing?  (Read 1352 times)

Offline a_dude

• Newbie Poster
    • Twitter
Vista hard drive space mysteriously disappearing?
« on: January 09, 2010, 09:59:13 PM »
I have personally had this problem since I got a new vista rig several years ago. The computer came with ~100GB (WITH Vista installed), and a few weeks later, it went down to 50GB. After several months, it had less than a GB of storage left.

Mind you, I only had one file that was bigger than 2GB and only had several files over a GB. Those "big" files put together wasn't even worth 10GB. So I searched and found the solution.

NOTE: Be careful when performing these steps - you might irreversibly corrupt and/or erase your hard drive if you don't do exactly what each steps tell you to do.

2nd NOTE: This is assuming that you have a non-default backup system installed. If you don't, please buy yourself an external hard drive and a reliable backup software.

1) Open up the command prompt (start menu, type "cmd" in the search box and hit enter)

2) Type "vssadmin list shadowstorage" (without quotes) into the command promp.

3) That should tell you how much storage your Vista machine is setting aside for its internal backup.

4) Type in "vssadmin Resize ShadowStorage /For=[your hard disk]: /On=[your hard disk]: /MaxSize=[how much space you want to allocate]" (without quotes), then hit enter
       - NOTE: It is not wise to go anywhere below 2GB with MaxSize. I recommend you set it to 5GB (or less, depending on the size of your hard drive)
      - Example: "vssadmin Resize ShadowStorage /For=C; /On=C; /MaxSize=5GB"

5) You should get a success message and should see your hard drive space go up. If your hard drive space remains the same, try restarting your computer.

6) You're done!

Thanks to The Download Squad
I'm a PR! I play on weekends mostly, and rarely during the weekdays.

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
Re: Vista hard drive space mysteriously disappearing?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 01:27:21 AM »

Frankly, I'm surprised that "fix" fixed your problem!!!

Seeing that the MOST the Windoze Restore function will use of a drive is 15%, how does this explain it taking up something like 75% of your hard drive?!?!

Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline a_dude

• Newbie Poster
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 09:27:56 AM »
That, I have absolutely no idea. Microsoft's products work in mysterious ways, I suppose. :P

Offline BFM_saes

• BFM Admin
  • oops....
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 12:31:42 PM »
Isn't shadowing different to system restore?

I thought it worked like a versioning system keeping old copies of files when they'd been edited.
However, I also thought it was only on the server editions of Windows...

Offline a_dude

• Newbie Poster
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 12:52:11 PM »
My mistake - you're absolutely right. Nevertheless, I have an external backup system that backs up my files (whenever they are changed) to an external hard drive allocated specifically to store backed up files, so that it doesn't clutter my main hard drive.

And according to Microsoft's Shadow Copy page, it is available on Vista Business and Ultimate (I have Home Basic, but the trick I posted still worked for some reason...).

Print