Print 

Author Topic: My Name  (Read 1360 times)

Offline 19DELTA

• Newbie Poster
My Name
« on: January 12, 2010, 10:32:21 AM »
Hello BFM

My name is James C, and I have raced on BFM race servers for a long time; and have never had any issues with my name. I have raced with Bfm members like, Bfm_360, BFM_Mil, and many others. Today as I was racing I was told by Bfm_Mig to change my name, because he felt like it was a religious prefrence; and this is after raicing with Bfm_Mil, and Bfm_IMayBU. My brother who was also on the serer explained that it was just my initials. After that he said he didn't care and kicked me from the server. I do not understand why if it was okay with a couple of members, why one person has the authority to just kick at will. I have no problem with any BFM members, all I want to do is race because it is fun and I enjoy it. What can be done about this?

Thanks JC

I edited your name because there is no reason for you to use your whole real name in this post. Just saying your name is James C is enough to make your point.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 12:17:09 AM by BFM_Elvis »

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
Re: My Name
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 11:43:02 AM »

JC,

Your name obviously could be a religious reference.  We have Red v Blue fans that want to race as Church, and people who's real name may be Jesus, but we don't allow those names either.

Secondly we also have a new policy that names need to be "real names", not just letters or symbols.  We get a lot of people coming in as "abc" or "123" and causing trouble, much like many New001's.  We have a hard time addressing guests with names like ' or just containing symbols we can't type.  I know this may seem arbitrary, but there is good intentions behind this policy.

We have a PR who went by KC.  That was his real life name too.  We said to be consistent we should ask him to change it.  We said Casey would be ok.  He ended up picking something else out.  In your case,  Jaycee or JamesC would be fine.  Or pick something fun or halo-themed or whatever. 

As for your last question, some admins won't make the possible religious connection with your name, or might not remember the new policy.  Just because some let your name go doesn't mean that someone will eventually notice it and ask you to change it. 

We know you didn't intend to cause any trouble with your name - we are just trying to be consistent with our policies.  If we make exceptions we open the door for endless debate. 

You can also follow the nearby thread posted by "nd".

Offline BFM_Elvis

• Leader
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 12:12:12 AM »
JC I sent you a response to the pm you sent to me. That should explain things for you. I also gave you some examples to use as a name that would fit your initials if you wish. If you have any more questions feel free to post here for Kiwi or follow up on my response to your first pm to me.

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 11:35:21 AM »

JC,

Thanks for your PMs and your understanding.  I see you are now 19DELTA.  I'll keep an eye out for you in the servers.

Thanks again

Kiwi

Print