Print 

Author Topic: Post your 'unofficial' times for all maps here  (Read 163422 times)

Offline R0CK

• Newbie Poster
  • R U Dead Yet? Living Dead Beating but Next In Line
Re: Post your 'unofficial' times for all maps here
« Reply #300 on: June 17, 2009, 07:50:04 PM »
I have no doubt that many of these times were done by taking advantage of lag... I deem that 84.40 sidewinder an impossible achievement.

Even some of mine could have lag (even though i truly made effort to prevent that)... no computer is perfect.. it's impossible to tell.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 07:54:33 PM by R0CK[HPC] »

Offline T@rg3t

• Posts Too Much
  • Ex BFM_T@rg3t
« Reply #301 on: June 17, 2009, 08:30:38 PM »
i'm a little curious about the 84 on sidewinder too but i believe in the 59 on bg considering i have achieved the feat as well. only beat my old record by .2    :toughguy:

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine as children do. It's not just in some of us; it is in everyone. And as we let our own lights shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

Offline BFM_Edison

• Captain
« Reply #302 on: June 19, 2009, 05:12:59 AM »
88.27 for Sidewinder
52.87   60.07   46.40   72.73   68.23   55.10   98.27   84.73

Offline snowkiller

• Posts Too Much
  • The best team ever!
« Reply #303 on: June 25, 2009, 02:45:38 PM »
97.02 on infinity

Offline Bowser

• Posts Too Much
  • Alright chaps! Lets do this! LEEEROOY JAAANNKINS!!
« Reply #304 on: June 26, 2009, 12:04:11 PM »
new best on Timber: 46.63

Offline Nassor

• Junior Poster
  • Two steps forward, one step back
« Reply #305 on: June 29, 2009, 09:25:05 AM »

popular time atm lol  ^^!
~Nassor~

~Got it covered~

Offline Boot

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #306 on: June 30, 2009, 04:03:45 PM »
i'm a little curious about the 84 on sidewinder too but i believe in the 59 on bg considering i have achieved the feat as well. only beat my old record by .2    :toughguy:

T@rget,

Looks like you are going to have to get back out on the tracks and run off some more blisteringly fast laps. I've kinda gotten used to seeing your name in gold against most of the map rotations.

Good racing,

Boot.

Offline R0CK

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #307 on: June 30, 2009, 05:51:47 PM »
It's too bad that the gunner always gets a place higher than the person who did all the work driving em around.

Offline BFM_Booyah

• General
« Reply #308 on: June 30, 2009, 07:06:56 PM »
The gunner does not ALWAYS outscore the driver.  If there is only one lap left in the race then the player in the hog with the lowest ping will get the final lap...and sometimes that is the driver.  Plus, this is a team game and as long as your team wins...isn't that the point?  Not to mention the fact that this section is devoted to time trials where the gunner is only an ovserver and is not participating in the race.

"Compared to war, all other forms of human endeavor shrink to insignificance." - General George S. Patton Jr.

Offline R0CK

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #309 on: June 30, 2009, 08:53:52 PM »
It's a common misconception that the person in 1st is usually the person who played the 'best' during the round.  It is true that the driver may rarely receive the final lap if there is one less game lap remaining than the number of players within the hog being driven.  For that matter, the passenger of a hog can receive the most laps in such rare situations, even though this position is the most limited.  The frustrating thing is that the driver must use his skill to successfully navigate the course and dodge obstacles to drive in the final laps, whether this be the driver himself (or herself) or one of the players who can sit back and enjoy the ride.

While we're clearly far off topic... To truly voice my opinion, this topic doesn't go to show very much at all.  Someone can play this game for the 5 years it's been in circulation and achieve a few good laps purposefully and a few breathtaking laps by occassionally making good mistakes and taking credit for them as intentional and skillful later on.  A truly good racer would be able to consistently get those breathtaking laptimes and be able to achieve these feats on demand at any given time... not by mistake once in a while with their finger over the SS key.  I'm not saying that trying for personal bests isn't wrong (or entertaining once in a while.. which is what this game is all about).  It just doesn't prove very much.  Computer or LAN lag contribute to this further, needing to be addressed separately in a whole other matter.

I posted a few screenshots of somewhat average laptimes for myself on this forum, if nothing crashes into me or blows me up while im trying to concentrate, as well as my personal best times that I didn't feel involved much lag (although there is always some distortion due to this common nuisance).  The average laptimes shine through the best.  In-game the fastest path to drive in the most laps isn't identical to the route that would be taken in a time trial.  These are 3 very different subjects:  team games, time trials, and individual racing.  The unsung heros of the race may receive 10th place after saving teammates and driving in laps, but won't often be recognized.  Different routes are better because enemy players create obstacles to negotiate.  Essentially, the most crooked driver will often defeat the straight-line driver in certain maps.

Further, it is unfortunate, but true, that the common race game is filled with inexperienced drivers mixed in with veterans randomly (or not-so-randomly ;)) placed on commonly uneven or even "stacked" teams that the racers, themselves, build.  These teammates are unpredictable and may even turn on fellow teammates when the admin isn't watching.  I really, truly do not care if my team wins or not if I'm not familiar with them.  This is technically contrary to the object that is programmed into the BFM race matches, but it is also rediculous to accept defeat under conditions that you were unable to plan for or affect.

P.S.  Booyah how come you told me you'd see me on the tracks, but I haven't ever seen you on.  I was honestly looking forward to seeing more admins online.  I do understand that a lot of the old players barely get on - even I have my long periods of time when I don't get on either.  The lower caps admins I see online most of the time can't do very much to affect the race and keep it running smoothly.  Skill doesn't matter whatsoever if the rules aren't followed in a reasonable manner by the players (although every racer I've ever seen has broken a rule one time or another).
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 09:09:35 PM by R0CK[HPC] »

Offline ·WídgêT·

• Posts Too Much
  • Fail gun at your service
« Reply #310 on: July 01, 2009, 05:54:52 AM »
Rock this is all well and good and I actually took the time to read through all this but this is a post for TIME TRIALS. People are not trying to mimic game situations here, and most or all of these times are controlled with as little chance for lag and interference as possible to see if they can find ways around a map as quickly as possible with no interruptions.

Yes it is frustrating to have someone finish in first for not doing anything, I have been on both sides of that argument before, but the important thing is that your TEAM won. Yes  it is true that the person who got the winning lap in a close game may not get the respect of a high ranking than others in the server, but at least he or she feels good in knowing that his or her TEAM won. Yes sometimes you find yourself on a team that has the odds stacked against them, but I have seen the underdog team pull off upsets with a great TEAM effort. Hopefully you see where I'm going with this...

In a topic on the forums based on individual performances, you're individualistic mentality does fit, but in this case it really doesn't matter. These times are being made when they are the only one in the server, while most of your points are based off of how other people affect times. Rock, I've seen how well you drive, I've even gunned for you a few times, and more often then not you are at the top of the list in the carnage reports, so good for you. You can continue to focus on the individual goals of the game, and I'll try to help my team win. I would love to continue this argument if you so choose, but please make another topic or PM me, because I feel this really isn't the place for it.

Now to sorta get back on topic: I found old screenshots of me getting 46.93 on Timber and 87.76 on Sidewinder

Thank you Tanger!

Not for wealth, rank, or honor, but for personal worth and character
Cheers, Marty!

http://8tracks.com/widget4nz
Check out my mixes and sign up for the site. It has yet to do me wrong

Offline BFM_Nemesis

• BFM Admin
« Reply #311 on: July 01, 2009, 06:36:11 AM »
Time Trials from my view are a very important asset to racing.

On many occasions you would still mimic what you do in a public server to what you do in a LAN server.. tunnels, ramps, bridge jump etc. Much of the direction used is actually time trials, taking the fastest path.

On many occasions whilst in public servers in my 2.5years+ racing (and im sure others have) have i gotten the great laptimes that are possible on every map. Its harder to get, but still quite possible.

Many racers in the racing community can get these breathtaking lap times. Practice makes perfect. Now if i make the mistake of what would seem to make it slower but is faster, I try to remember and mimic it so i can do it on many occasions-sometimes successful, but rarely.

One thing i have noticed is you know who the good racers are, regardless of their position on the scoreboard. The scoreboard can be quite right, but you can never know all the details. Sure you might no for a fact that you won it from doing a great defensive manouvre and got in and your gunner scored and not you but you must also give them some credit. You might of picked them up so they DID get in your hog, they DID attempt to race. So they are just us worthy as that lap as you may be. Then people can join late etc. So many things change the outcomes on that scoreboard however if someone got that last lap and not you, they put themselves in that position, you helped them but they are just as deserving. Like you said also doesn't matter who wins or loses. Nor do i mind where i end up on the score board if i know that i've done my best. If i end up last, ill try harder for my team next time.

Also, if we see in a server that there may be 6 new racers on 1 team and 6 experienced on the other. We are going go attempt to even those teams. We arent going to let 1 team hang out to dry. It does happen, however we try to avoid it.

Last point. Time trials is the basic route, the obvious/standard path to take as it IS NORMALLY the safest. If i was in a hog with someone that could do a 60second laptime on Bloodgulch, id feel much more confident in there hog than someone who did a 100 with no interuptions. That faster driver knows the map, they know how to drive it. Whether from it setting the gunner up or from jumping of the cliff that has the 2nd last nav straight to avoice incomin rockets instead of turning round. They would normally be much more aware. If we did not have time trials, that could also mean the difference between a win and a loss (very important in captain scrims. If you cant catch an enemy rocket hog on deathisland say for e.g.  because you can only get a 60 second lap time.. that could mean a loss. infinity normal nav.. cant get a 98 second laptime.. another loss.. getting to the centre of danger canyon before they get in a hog at blue and get to score or before they jump down.. another loss. On the contrary, time trials driving is an enormous part of the game.

just my 2c.

Offline R0CK

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #312 on: July 01, 2009, 12:55:37 PM »
Nice sidewinder time Widget!! =p  I also agree with yours and Nemesis' comments.

We probably just sparked enough discussion to start a whole new topic (or maybe just have this stuff moved).  I'm sure most of the racers on this forum would have opinions to voice.

I also admire part of suprman's sig... it sums up part of what I tried to point out:
"Being a good racer in Halo isn't just about getting the best times. You have to know where your teammates and enemies are, and most of all... how to be crafty!XD" - suprman
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 02:17:06 PM by R0CK[HPC] »

Offline R0CK

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #313 on: July 03, 2009, 11:04:38 PM »
I made a 88.7 on infinity (all navs) today, but my halo froze up and I couldn't save the photo because there was no way to unfreeze it and save the screenshot (I didn't have fraps on).  I got this on lap 12 and I do them somewhat often...I'm sure I can get another one soon.  Is this a really good time or have some of you gotten an 87 or something?  I'm unfamiliar with allnavs.

Offline R0CK

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #314 on: July 07, 2009, 05:19:31 PM »
done on LAN:  July 7, 2009

Print