Print 

Author Topic: Extremism  (Read 1965 times)

Offline D4MAN

• Newbie Poster
  • Ð4MAN / Hackiesacker007
Extremism
« on: January 17, 2010, 10:01:46 AM »
I was racing in a BFM Server just a few minutes ago, and my driver was chasing people around  Gephyrophobia, so I said

"drive stop chasing" - but what I meant was "driver, stop chasing"

BFM_three60 called me out and said "remember you're p's and q's", an expression I had never heard before.  He then called me out for not using the word "please".

I was  a bit shocked - I understand that the rules say to be respectful to other players - but   that certainly doesn't imply that the  word please should be used.

I did not offend my driver nor did I offend anyone else in the server - by saying "drive don't chase", I still maintained respet for everyone in the server.

It is extreme, let alone foolish of BFM_three60 to tell me that I "had bad manners", because I didn't use the word "please".

When I used to race in these servers 2 years ago, I had never been called out for not using the word "please".

In conclusion, my point is that we should never go to extremism (forcing someone to change their vocabulary to add the word "please" for example")  This is something that people may choose or choose not to do, depending on their personality.  As long they're being respectful, it shouldn't matter.

NEVER go to extremism - guests are to be respected - No one has a right to tell them they have "bad manners", simply for not using the word "please", once.

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
Re: Extremism
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2010, 11:18:28 AM »

I don't think being polite and respectful is "extreme".   

When you are typing out a few words, who knows if you're being rude, sarcastic, polite or just stating simple facts.  It's hard to tell.  That's why we add please or maybe a smiley face, so that people know.    We don't expect anyone to type please on everything, but it sure helps.  We train our recruits to be polite, use please, and it sure helps, believe me. 

No, we can't require our guests to add "please" to everything they type, but I don't see anything wrong with suggesting it if it isn't clear to us if a guest is maybe being sarcastic.  I would think three60 was just making a friendly suggestion.  Again I don't see anything extreme about that.

Offline D4MAN

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2010, 11:24:45 AM »
No, it certainly was extreme.

Asking me to say "please" is one thing, but immediately saying that I have "bad manners", and criticizing me for that, is just wrong and by all means, extreme...

Yes, that is correct.  BFM can not demand that guests use the word please - they can only provide the suggestion.

But for BFM_three60 to immediately say that I have bad manners, is wrong on his part. 

And no - It was  very apparent that I was not being sarcastic or rude - I know that it is hard to tell at times, but this time it certainly wasn't...

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 11:36:44 AM »

Well if you were offended, I apologise.  Without knowing the full conversation I just can't help you - you may send a PM to three60 and you two can discuss it further. 

Simply saying "driver, don't chase" isn't really rude or bad manners.  But I am sure three60 was referring to more than just that one comment, as there have been incidents where you have been rude to guests.

All this stuff happens when people don't know the person on the other end of the conversation.  Again they don't know if you're intending to be rude or not.  Which is why adding please, or a smiley face, or being more careful with your words is so important, and why we make it a habit to do so.   And why I'd encourage guests to adopt the same habit.

Offline D4MAN

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 11:41:23 AM »
No, I'm  not going to discuss with 360 as he was being a little rude in the server and said he didn't want to discuss with me.

And no, there was nothing more to that at all.

Here, I'll describe the situation.

The game started on the Gephyrophobia map.
I got into a gunner seat.
My driver was chasing
I said "drive stop chasing"

BFM_three60 called me out and said I have "bad manners" and used that "q's and p's" expression I was unfamiliar with.

You're absolutely right!!! There is nothing rude about saying "drive don't chase"

Perhaps BFM_three60 needs to be instructed on not being so impulsive.  He clearly started this argument and should take the blame for it, as it is his fault for criticizing me.

And you don't need to apoligiZe!! It wasn't your fault - it was three60's! I expect an apology from BFM_three60!

Offline BFM_Elvis

• Leader
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 03:31:47 PM »
D4MAN I thought we had moved forwad. You didnt argue about breaking rules only sometimes. Many times you were a great racer. You just said you have stopped and I agreed I hadnt seen you do it at all since my last post. If you really felt this way about Jim why didnt you drop him a pm and also drop me and Booyah one. No one is perfect. If BFM makes a mistake we should own up to it. Whenever a guest has a complaint we do check into it. So I see you said your leaving. If you wish to still race feel free to pm me if you ever feel your being mistreated. I will check into for you. You can be such a great racer sometimes then others your temper gets the best of you. But again since my post I had only seen good things from you.

Offline BFM_Elvis

• Leader
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 12:36:42 AM »
D4MAN I must apologize for you being warned for not saying please etc. BFM made a mistake. It was totally wrong of us to warn you or say to you to use some manors. I have checked into this and felt we did owe you an apology. We have corrected this situatiion and it wont happen again. IM VERY SORRY! I DO totally apologize to you!

Now lets move on together. WE made a HUGE mistake and you have made a few mistakes in the past. Lets put this behind us and move on in a good way together. You just remember to leave a server before you lose your temper. We will remember to not ask you to follow rules that arent even there. We both can learn something here. I know your a very good racer. I also have seen you start to let your temper get the best of you which causes you to break rules when the server gets a little out of control. Just find one of us when it is out of control. Sometimes we might be there undercover and sometimes kicking or banning someone without your knowledge. So just find us or leave when it gets that way. I really want this to work out for both of us. You can be one of the best halo racers when you wish to be. Dont let someone take that away from you when they are breaking the rules.  Again We do apologize. I do wish yu the best and look forward to the new start and getting to race with you soon!

Offline D4MAN

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 06:39:05 AM »
It's cool man - thanks for the post.

I appreciate it  :winkgrin:

Offline D4MAN

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 08:17:12 PM »
I think I might actually stick around now.

I''m def. not gonna be racing as often as I used to(every night), because of schoolwork,  but on some weekends I'll spend time in the servers.

Thanks for the support and the post - please disregard my other thread about leaving forever.

Thanks guys

Print