Print 

Author Topic: Politics help  (Read 2126 times)

Offline BFM_Noddu

• BFM Admin
  • An apple a day, keeps red team's rockets at bay.
Politics help
« on: February 03, 2010, 01:12:03 PM »
Title says it all.

I, a British guy studying British Politics in a British School by a Scottish teacher, has been tasked with presenting the recent news of Gordon Brown 's (Our PM) proposal to reform the electoral system from its current "first past the post" to "alternative voting" like they do in Australia. I've made a powerpoint.

I've got key facts, figures and quotes down... however I need help on understanding what alternative voting has over other electoral systems and why its not proportional?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :D
Make way for Noddu. Lest he nods his head... in disapproval.

Offline jim360

• Posts Too Much
Re: Politics help
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 01:39:13 PM »
Please check your PM's, Noddu - since my intended post is a bit too political. :P
Check out my Short introduction... corner and my "Historical figures who should perhaps be better-known" thread!!

Exciting videos: 1.1 / 1.2 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
Re: Politics help
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 11:23:09 PM »

Seems obvious a liberal voter would vote for their candiate, then probably list other more liberal-leaning candidates as 2nd and 3rd choices, with the conservatives last.  And conservative voters would take a similar approach.

So it can come down to not who's the most popular, but who's the least offensive to voters, so it helps promote moderate parties and candidates.  The left- and right-wing parties might have to play to the moderate voters to attract their votes, even as 2nd or 3rd choices.  So it might bring the major liberal and conservative parties towards the middle a bit?  If you're a conservative candidate, and get 45% of the vote, but alienate all the other voters, you could end up losing.  So you have to moderate your stance a bit perhaps.

Also perhaps smaller parties might guide their supporters to vote for the 2nd and 3rd choice parties that they have negotiated with.  In first past the post, a small party isn't likely to say "hey we're not going to win this seat anyway, so vote Labour, they are the next best thing".  But with AV, they can say "give your 2nd place vote to Labour" in return for some favours.

Print