Print 

Author Topic: TOUGH computer issue (FIXED)  (Read 2981 times)

Offline Akuma

• Junior Poster
  • Fist Philosopher
    • Akuma
TOUGH computer issue (FIXED)
« on: February 06, 2010, 03:25:12 PM »
THIS PROBLEM HAS BEEN SOLVED BY BFM_JANE

This problem has to do with the way the screen loads.  Each time a new window is opened, whether that be a new window or internet explorer or firefox, a dull pukey green color is shown first (before the screen has time to fully load).  In most browsers I have seen, the color would be white and transparent.  This issue is nothing like that.  It is green, not white.  This may not seem like a problem at all, but for some (rather, many) screens, the green stays for certain parts of the screen.  It may cover up important information.  For example, if I try to install software, the entire terms and license agreement text is simply a green box.  No actual words are visible because they have been covered up.  For other pages, the problem is the opposite.  The information in the box is visible, but the rest of the page is that pukey green color.  I really have no idea how to fix this.  I have tried the display settings.  This problem has been persisting for a long time and now I think it is time I asked for help.  You may like to know that this did not happen on MY computer, rather it happened on my family computer where my (less intelligent) little brothers and sisters like to play and touch things that they should not.  Below is an example image.

As you can see in this screenshot, pukey green color fills a large portion of the screen so all of the text is not quite shown.  This is obviously not part of the web page, but it certainly is there and it is annoying.

This is a RE-ENACTMENT made on my PC.  Theirs is a Windows XP operating system.  The below image is identical to how my dad's email looks when he tries to access it.  If he highlights the green area, it becomes visible, but only through highlighting.  When the screen loads as-is, nothing in the green area is anything other than that green color.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 03:07:28 PM by BFM_JANE »

Offline BFM_JANE

• Major
  • Despite the cost of living, it remains popular.
Re: TOUGH computer issue
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 03:33:45 PM »

"Puke" is hue-ily misrepresented. Quite often it's a gray cream color or some shade of orange or red. That green you have there is more of a lime or even yellow green. What most people consider "puke green" is actually olive green, or drab green.

Hope that helps.

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 03:35:31 PM »

If it happens in IE and Firefox, then it doesn't sound like browser settings.

Maybe accessibility options on your computer?  I'd try that.  There are setting to make screens high contrast or to highlight things to make it easier for people with vision problems - although most websites don't implement that stuff well.  But I'd look there first.

Offline Akuma

• Junior Poster
  • Fist Philosopher
    • Akuma
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 03:37:22 PM »
LOL!  Funny, JANE.  You are always trying to lighten the mood a bit, it seems.  =]

Does anyone else have thoughts?  My dad cannot access his work e-mail on that computer because of this issue.

Kiwi:  It also happens when going into the control panel and loading windows in that.  It is not limited to Internet browsers.  

I also tried the accessibility options/high contrast idea you had, and it is simply not the case.  That was a good try, though!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 03:42:42 PM by Akuma »

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 04:12:33 PM »
If you have other computers, try switching out a monitor.  Narrow it down that way, see if it's a problem with the monitor.

You can get funny colors just because the monitor cable isn't fully plugged into the back of the computer.

Offline BFM_JANE

• Major
  • Despite the cost of living, it remains popular.
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 04:22:15 PM »

By the bye, the images you posted are of a website that seems to be a place where you can download movies that are not yet available on DVD, and are in fact still in movie theatres. That of course = media piracy, which = illegal, which = not allowed here.

I've removed the images, you're encouraged post others of a site that is okay by BFM's standards. If you want to send me a PM with the site you're considering for your screenshots, I'll take a look.

If I'm wrong about what the website provides, please let me know.

Offline Akuma

• Junior Poster
  • Fist Philosopher
    • Akuma
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 04:44:35 PM »
JANE:  I just took screen shots of the page my mom was on while she was complaining about the color.  Sorry about the mistake.  Everybody who needed to take a look already has seen it, I guess, so if they can't be shown, that's fine.  I made a reenacted picture from gmail.

Kiwi:  I tried switching out the monitor that was there with my own AND with the flat screen television in that room as well.  I tried both VGA and DVI cables separately, but none of these things made any difference.

This is a RE-ENACTMENT made on my PC.  Theirs is a Windows XP operating system.  The below image is identical to how my dad's email looks when he tries to access it.  If he highlights the green area, it becomes visible, but only through highlighting.  When the screen loads as-is, nothing in the green area is anything other than that green color.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 04:58:46 PM by Akuma »

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 05:02:10 PM »

So it's not the monitor then.

Next thing is the graphics card, if there is one.  You can check that it's properly seated, and maybe swap one from another computer.  If you do that and still have the problem, then it's something in windows I guess.

Offline Akuma

• Junior Poster
  • Fist Philosopher
    • Akuma
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2010, 05:11:16 PM »
If it happens to be something to do with the graphics card, I have an identical replacement in my own computer.  The thing is, I am currently using it.  It is an EXACT replica of the card in that computer:  a RADEON x600 series hypermemory 256 MB GPU.  When my new graphics card comes by UPS on monday, I suppose I could swap out my card and put it in that one.  I would prefer to not touch the card until I need to, because of the obvious chance of maybe cracking one of the two, damaging it, or anything like that.  Of course I am very very careful with delicate electronics, but I still do not like to touch them if it is not necessary, especially if they are "of age."  These computers are nearly 4 years old, as are all components.

Despite the possibility that it is the graphics card, I truly believe it is a software problem, not hardware.  It believe it is something in Windows.  However, if we cannot figure it out by Monday, I will attempt that GPU switch.  I know exactly how to do it, but I truly think it will do absolutely nothing.

It seems the name I chose for this thread is quite accurate:  40 views and 8 posts with zero success.  =(
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 05:22:38 PM by Akuma »

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2010, 05:26:21 PM »

Well if you swap out the physical card, that will narrow it down, whether it's a problem with the card.

If not, then you can try reinstalling/updating the drivers on the card.

Next look at the software settings on the card (using the ATI software)

Finally windows itself.  I still think accessibility options might be the culprit.   

Or else the basic display settings, which you said you'd already checked.

Offline Akuma

• Junior Poster
  • Fist Philosopher
    • Akuma
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2010, 06:12:41 PM »
On a whim, I already had Windows Update try to update the drivers, but it did not bear any fruit.

Offline BFM_SüprM@ñ

• BFM Admin
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2010, 06:28:02 PM »
Windows Updates drivers made by Microsoft that try to cover generic drivers for the most part. I'd attempt to download the specific driver for your graphics card from the ATI website.
Being a good racer in Halo isn't just about getting the best times. You have to know where your teammates and enemies are, and most of all... how to be crafty! XD -nods-

Oh... and "v.v" = sad face.

Props to Plixity for the first sig, Slayton for the Season XIII trophy sig, and Jane for the banner! Thx guys! ^.^

Applied for Recruitment: January 22nd, 2008
Received Vent: March 25th, 2008
Received Lil-tags: May 3rd, 2008
Resigned: May 15th, 2008
Re-Applied: June 16th, 2009
Re-Received Vent: July 25th 2009
Re-Received Lil-Tags: August 24th, 2009
Received Big Tags: October 5th, 2009
Promoted to Corporal: January 30, 2010
Promoted to Sergeant: April 19, 2010
Temp. Resigned: August 6, 2010
Returned: January 29, 2013

Offline Akuma

• Junior Poster
  • Fist Philosopher
    • Akuma
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2010, 06:41:44 PM »
I searched for updates through the device manager via windows update and nothing happened.

I tried downloading that ATI Catalyst thing and I looked through it and found nothing.

I tried using the accessibility options hotkey (alt+leftshift+printscreen) and that was not it either.

The text in the green areas can be read if highlighted by dragging over it with the mouse.

If it was a problem with windows update, I would have encountered the problem on my computer as well since it is an identical system.

Update:  Manually downloading the driver and installing that also did no good.

Come on guys.  This is a problem that an 8-year-old caused by hitting the keyboard.  It is not a driver or hardware problem.  It must be a setting.  I dare suspect it could be some kind of a shortcut or key combination.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 06:53:29 PM by Akuma »

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2010, 07:33:29 PM »

Which is another reason I suspect accessibility options. 

But I don't know enough about them to advise anything else.

Offline Taipan™

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2010, 09:15:11 PM »
Does this only happen in places like Gmail and Youtube?? Or on normal webpages (like Wiki and BFM forums) as well?

Print