Print 

Author Topic: Factoring Polynomials - Algebra  (Read 2897 times)

Offline Firêfôx°

• Regular Poster
  • Foxes are my friends but mastercheifs aren't
    • I am spying on you :)
Factoring Polynomials - Algebra
« on: March 11, 2010, 02:44:57 PM »
Hey all I need help doing some algebra problems that I don't get.

1. 36d^2-5d-24

2. 10(a-b)^2-11(a-b)-6

3. 14(2-x)^2-15(2-x)-11

I need to know how to do them because I don't understand them

EDIT: If you guys don't know what ^2 means then that means squared
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 02:51:01 PM by Firêfôx° »

Thanks to BFM_MrT©

thanks to BigmanJT

thank you terra for the amazing userbar

Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.
☻/ This is bob, copy paste him on
/▌ every comment you see so he can
/ \ take over Facebook. You've been Bobbed
__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__ this is bobs house... ... ...

I have xfire, if anyone wants to know it please feel free to PM me.

Offline jim360

• Posts Too Much
Re: Factoring Polynomials - Algebra
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 03:16:44 PM »
Below are two ways of doing it. The first one given is a "brute force" method, while the second is neater.

Notation: a, b, c, p, q, r and s are constants dependent on the question, while x is a variable. My 2 is your ^2, and when I write x1 or x2, these are the solutions to the "quadratic formula" when you either add the 'square root bit' or take it away.

If you can't immediately factor polynomials (these are actually binomials which makes factorising easier), the fastest way to factorise is to solve the equation ax2+bx+c=0 and then use the quadratic formula:

Now wrote the polynomial as (x-x1)(x-x2) where x1 and x2 are the two values of x you got in the formula above.

For the specific problems you have given:

1) d is your variable x, a is 36, b is 5 and c is -24. You could then plug those in to the formula above.

2) treating (a-b) as x, a is 10, b is -11 and c is -6.

3) Now the first thing to do here is work out 14(2-x)2  - 15(2-x)-11 as a binomial in x rather than (2-x). Since 14(2-x)2= 14(4-4x+x2) and -15(2-x) = 15x-30 you can express this polynomial as 14x2-41x+15, then solve as before.

The above method works but is very tedious and not particularly insightful. Let's approach the problem in a new way.

Let's suppose that you have already factorised the equation ax2+bx+c. You'll get two brackets, each linear in x, of the form (px+q)(rx+s). Now what we do is expand the brackets again! We find that (px+q)(rx+s) = (pr)x2+(ps+qr)x+(qs). Now we already know, though, that:

(px+q)(rx+s)=ax2+bx+c

There's an important theorem that says that two polynomials are the same if they have the same coefficients (which are the numbers a, b and c in ax2+bx+c). So we conclude that:

pr=a
qr+ps=b
qs=c

This amounts, annoyingly, to three equations with four unknowns. There's not much, then, that can be done to solve these equations but if these were homework questions it's likely that they will factorise nicely. So now we start trialing whole numbers that divide a and c and compare them with b to see if we can get a match.

For example, look at question one. We know that there are two factors (pd+q)(rd+s) to make the equation 36d2-5d-24. Hence:

pr=36
qr+ps= -5
qs=-24.

Let's try q=3, s= -8, r=9, p=4. By some strange coincidence ( ::) ) we find that 9*4 is 36, 3*-8 is -24, and 3+9+4*-8 = -5. So this works! Hence the solution to the first question is 36d2-5d-24=(4d+3)(9d-8).

Try the same sort of things for questions 2 and 3, always trying to pick whole numbers that divide into the numbers given. So in the 3rd question you're looking for two numbers that divide -11 and two that divide 14. If you can't find any (which this time is a possibility since questions in homework are like that) then against expand (2-x)2 (It's easiest to take (2-x) as the variable if you are doing things algebraically, then note that if, say, one bracket has the form
(p(2-x)-q), then you can write this as (-px+2p-q).)

If this isn't clear to you then I'll try to explain further later.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 03:49:18 PM by BFM_three60 »
Check out my Short introduction... corner and my "Historical figures who should perhaps be better-known" thread!!

Exciting videos: 1.1 / 1.2 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6

Offline Firêfôx°

• Regular Poster
  • Foxes are my friends but mastercheifs aren't
    • I am spying on you :)
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 03:38:00 PM »
Thanks for the help three60. The second one was very helpful.

Thanks to BFM_MrT©

thanks to BigmanJT

thank you terra for the amazing userbar

Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.
☻/ This is bob, copy paste him on
/▌ every comment you see so he can
/ \ take over Facebook. You've been Bobbed
__̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡̡.__ this is bobs house... ... ...

I have xfire, if anyone wants to know it please feel free to PM me.

Offline jim360

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 03:40:33 PM »
Good to know!

Let me know what you get for questions 2 and 3 and I can check them if you like. They are all whole-number solutions.

Also, even though method 2 is neater you should learn method 1 since it's far, far more general. May be introduced in high school, but I'm at university and still have to use it now and then.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 03:44:57 PM by BFM_three60 »
Check out my Short introduction... corner and my "Historical figures who should perhaps be better-known" thread!!

Offline BFM_Edison

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 03:41:37 PM »
The second method is usually more intuitive and more enjoyable in my opinion. I only ever use the first if the second simply can't be used.
52.87   60.07   46.40   72.73   68.23   55.10   98.27   84.73

Offline jim360

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 03:47:56 PM »
Main reason the first method is "better" in my opinion is more because out of it straightaway you can see whether or now there are any (real) solutions at all. In getting my answers I used the first method to find one root, worked out what this decimal number was as a fraction and found the second root using method 2.

Mind, really I used the first method because it's 10pm and I'm too tired.

Offline ricalyn03

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 07:16:20 PM »
I can feel the headache of that homework. But I think the formula appropriate on that equation is the formula of algorithm. Try to solve it to finish your homework. Good luck!

Offline Bulk

• Regular Poster
  • hey hey hey!
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 04:04:52 PM »
Lol i love using the quadratic equation
feels good ruining the careful work that went into making a question where a specific method can be used well by just wacking it through the quadratic equation.
TY MiG for the Siggeh xD
Bit harsh tbh, thought i was at least nice sometimes :P

Print