Print 

Author Topic: Xfire and Sidewinder cliffs  (Read 1186 times)

Offline Archer

• Posts Too Much
  • Rock Trollin'
Xfire and Sidewinder cliffs
« on: April 29, 2010, 04:41:29 AM »
Okey dokey...my very first question(s).  I came across this discussion regarding Sidewinder, the cliffs, and hogjacking.

http://www.bfmracing.net/forums/index.php?topic=35190.0

Which got me to thinking about one recent race where I might have been in violation.  I didn't think so at the time.

I spawned at the red base.  At least, I think the red base is the one on the "left" looking out from the base.

No hogs, so I hit the transporter.  As I am running out onto the cliff, I see the red dot, but obviously can't see the hog.  Waiting wasn't an option.

My next nav was on the other cliff.  I believe I had the option to either go for the transporter, or elect to run directly across the field towards it.

From 5.5 - On Sidewinder, if you cannot find a hog at a base, you may proceed through the teleporters to the other base and back to the first base before checking again for a spawned hog

I took the latter option down the ramp as that allowed me to close with the hog and put us on the same elevation for a proper jacking.  Which I did.

Reading the thread above, I now think that may have been the wrong choice.

------------

In the same race,  someone (blue) was heaving nades into the blue base.  They had four hogs tied up in there.  Plenty of reds either showed up inside via the teleporters, or were stuck behind the pile of hogs and couldn't return fire, but couldn't get into one of the hogs that were bouncing off the walls.

An admin...can't remember which one....directed the nader to stop.

My question, was that because the nader was violating the rules in some specific way, or was it to allow things to clear up and let the race get back under way?  The latter being not a technical violation of the rules, but just an on the spot decision to foster a better race.

Since the nader couldn't get to his/her opponents, and they couldn't get to him, I'm thinking that this falls under spam nading.

-------------------

I hate riding in the meat seat.  It makes me nauseous.  I usually leave it the first time an empty hog comes into sight.  Is that OK??

I think so, but want to be sure.

-------------------

Finally, is there any good info on XFire on the forum.  My search didn't reveal anything.

Thanks much.

Regards,
Archer
Regards,
Archer

Thanks to Track King for the sig!!

Thanks to BFM_Skedog for the trophy!

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
Re: Xfire and Sidewinder cliffs
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 11:45:03 AM »
Hey Archer,

First of all, xfire: we used to have a thread with everyone's xfire addresses, but we have a policy against people sharing personal information, so mainly to protect our younger members and guests, we decided hosting a publicly viewable list of xfires was not consistent with that policy, so we removed it.  We also discourage people asking for xfire/MSN addresses in the servers

Ok, Sidewinder.

Really you should only walk down that ramp if you need to walk to the score nav.  If you need the other cliff it's much faster to take the tele on through to the other cliff.  If you are walking down the ramp, you are allowed to attack a hog coming up, if you're both on the ramp.  If you are on the top of the cliff and they are on the ramp, then you have to wait until they are up to the bridge (on the level with you) to attack.  But you can't wait (that's camping) so again you're best to keep moving and go through the other tele.

There is no specific rule about spam nading, just as there is no specific rule against "slayer'.  But we will at least suggest to guests that they stop nading/killing if they seem to be going for kills, rather than racing.   Usually if they are warned about slayer or spam nading, the actual rule they are breaking is either camping or chase killing, such as when there are hogs outside, but they go inside the base to nade, and remain there when they could have grabbed a hog.  

If that blue racer was outnumbered he is allowed to try to kill enemies until he can grab a hog.  If there were no hogs outside, or his hog was inside and got flipped, he's ok to a point.  If he's just throwing nades in a frenzy then we might ask if he could please just try to grab one of the hogs and get out.   Not being thre, it's hard for me to say if he broke any specific rule - the admin just wanted to get things unjammed.

If you are meat seat you may jump out to take an empty hog, that's fine.  You are not allowed to jump out to attack an enemy though.  Most of us don't like meat seat.  You can close your eyes if you are getting hog sick.

Thanks for the good questions.  Welcome to the forums

Offline Archer

• Posts Too Much
  • Rock Trollin'
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 02:37:24 PM »
Hi Kiwi,

Thanks for the info.

RE: xfire - I asked as I was racing on a server without an admin and someone asked if I had one available via xfire.  I've read enough other stuff to know better than to ask for someone's xfire ID and/or to post my own.

RE:sidewinder - in retrospect....having the time to break everything down second by second.....I can't say that I was over and off the bridge and on the ramp when I fired.  I can say that I crossed the bridge to close with the hog and to give it time to get to my elevation.  And I can say that the hog made it almost to the rock.  Any closer and I'd have killed myself along with the hog occupants.

I absolutely agree that the teleport is faster and generally a better choice.  If my next nav had been different or the timing on the hog's arrival been different, then I highly doubt I would have made that choice.  After reading what you posted, I think my actions were questionable enough that a better player would choose differently.

RE: the nader - he had no other hog options.  IMO, that was because he was keeping all the empty hogs from respawning by tossing them around with a continuous stream of nades.  Thanks for your thoughts.

RE: the meatseat - butbutbutbut....I'm already doing that! :LOL:

And I can't stand the players that jump out of their hogs and go slayer at the first sight of trouble.

Regards,
Archer
Regards,
Archer

Thanks to Track King for the sig!!

Thanks to BFM_Skedog for the trophy!

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 05:55:10 PM »

"Better" players make mistakes all the time.  There's a split second between making a "good" decision and being roadkill.  Don't worry about it :)

I can't stand people that roll their hogs, and immediately look around and nade anything that's moving.  YOU rolled the hog, why are you nading me, innocently driving by??  Grrr....

Print