Print 

Author Topic: History in zombie killing  (Read 4541 times)

Offline Wolf

• Senior Poster
  • Woof!
History in zombie killing
« on: May 18, 2010, 11:11:05 AM »
Just saw something on television that is quite remarkable and I didn't miss the connection. Anyone who has played the popular zombie mod of CoD4 knows of one awesome weapon. If you get up to 110 kills without dying, you earn the Tesla for a short time. It is an incredibly powerful gun with what looks like lightning and everything. I always wondered why it was called the "Tesla" though. History Channel today enlightened that. Tesla was the late 18th century man who invented alternating currents for more efficient energy flow. He made many inventions that we still benefit from today and had many ideas such as solar energy long before anyone else did. Neat that bit of history you could find in a FPS game huh?  :winkgrin:
"To look into the eyes of a wolf is to see your own soul. Hope you like what you see....."

Offline Slayton V. Price

• Posts Too Much
  • Here we are, Juggernaut!!
Re: History in zombie killing
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 01:35:38 PM »
Torn directly from Wikipedia:

Nikola Tesla (Serbian: Никола Тесла, born 10 July 1856 in Smiljan, Croatia - died 7 January 1943 in New York) was an inventor and a mechanical and electrical engineer. He was one of the most important contributors to the birth of commercial electricity, and is best known for his many revolutionary developments in the field of electromagnetism in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Tesla's patents and theoretical work formed the basis of modern alternating current (AC) electric power systems, including the polyphase system of electrical distribution and the AC motor, with which he helped usher in the Second Industrial Revolution.

Born an ethnic Serb in the village of Smiljan, Croatian Military Frontier in Austrian Empire (today's Croatia), he was a subject of the Austrian Empire by birth and later became an American citizen.[1] After his demonstration of wireless communication through radio in 1894 and after being the victor in the "War of Currents", he was widely respected as one of the greatest electrical engineers who worked in America.[2] Much of his early work pioneered modern electrical engineering and many of his discoveries were of groundbreaking importance. During this period, in the United States, Tesla's fame rivaled that of any other inventor or scientist in history or popular culture,[3] but because of his eccentric personality and his seemingly unbelievable and sometimes bizarre claims about possible scientific and technological developments, Tesla was ultimately ostracized and regarded as a mad scientist.[4][5] Tesla never put much focus on his finances and died impoverished at the age of 86.[6]

The International System of Units unit measuring magnetic field B (also referred to as the magnetic flux density and magnetic induction), the tesla, was named in his honor (at the Conférence Générale des Poids et Mesures, Paris, 1960), as well as the Tesla effect of wireless energy transfer to wireless powered electronic devices (which Tesla demonstrated on a low scale with incandescent light bulbs as early as 1893 and aspired to use for the intercontinental transmission of industrial power levels in his unfinished Wardenclyffe Tower project).

Aside from his work on electromagnetism and electromechanical engineering, Tesla contributed in varying degrees to the establishment of robotics, remote control, radar, and computer science, and to the expansion of ballistics, nuclear physics,[7] and theoretical physics. A few of his achievements have been used, with some controversy, to support various pseudosciences, UFO theories, and early New Age occultism.

For more things about Dr. Tesla, see both the Command and Conquer Video Game Series, or the movie "The Prestige." (Neither are historically accurate, but fun to play and a good film none the less :P)

~Slayton

Offline BFM_Edison

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 04:05:53 PM »
Tesla was legit. Much better and more intelligent than Thomas Edison.
52.87   60.07   46.40   72.73   68.23   55.10   98.27   84.73

Offline Goalie

• Posts Too Much
  • Congrats Jordan Lynch, 3rd place in Heisman!!!
    • York Set/Tech Crew
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 04:09:47 PM »
The 1893 Columbian Exposition chose to use Tesla's AC current instead of Thomas Edison's DC current.  Another reason why Tesla can be considered a pioneer in modern electronics.
You blame me?  Remember it had to get past 10 other players before I saw the ball.

Thanks to Spidey for this sig!                                                                                                                  .

Offline BFM_Tails

• Captain
  • [VGTG]
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 04:38:23 PM »
Tesla coils in red alert FTW

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 05:00:51 PM »

BFM_Tesla > BFM_Edison

Offline BFM_JANE

• Major
  • Despite the cost of living, it remains popular.
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 05:24:08 PM »

Why doesn't anyone ever remember Tesla for his death ray gun? Or, since he was a crazy guy, he called it a Peace Ray. You know, for killing people who don't like peace.

Offline BFM_Mil

• Captain
  • Facepalm
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 05:25:37 PM »
I think I am supposed to know that in Physics (I am referring to the Tesla Unit).

Offline Lucky

• Posts Too Much
  • Just do what makes you happy. JKLOL
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 10:05:28 PM »
I always wondered why it was called the "Tesla" though. History Channel today enlightened that.

Even after three60 tells everyone about people you don't know about but should.  You are still wondering?

Oh and three60's first person everyone should know about was Nikola Tesla.   :LOL:

(I already knew because of the Fallout 3 Tesla Cannon and the book "Nikola Tesla and You" which raises your energy guns skill! :yesyes: )
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 01:57:25 PM by BFM_Fuzzy »

Offline BFM_ColWlkr

• BFM Admin
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 11:15:10 AM »
He was also emulated in the role of Professor Bartok in the short-lived series "Legend" starring MacGyver and later Stargate SG-1 headliner Richard Dean Anderson.  The role was played by John De Lancie, who convinced fiction writer Nicodemus Legend (in the old West) to portray the character from his books using technology advanced beyond the current level by Professor Bartok ... with limited success at some points, leading to some good humor as well.

Offline Wolf

• Senior Poster
  • Woof!
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 04:45:19 PM »
Even after three60 tells everyone about people you don't know about but should.  You are still wondering?

Please forgive me for not having read every thread on the forums in which that one would have been included....  :P
"To look into the eyes of a wolf is to see your own soul. Hope you like what you see....."

Offline Lone WolF

• Newbie Poster
  • If you shine, you die.
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 07:14:13 PM »
Just took a glance at the first post, so after winning back the Radio patent did he also get the Noble? If not... wow not fair, did Edison ever get one? I know wiki said those two hated each other. The rest of that wiki was a good read.
I'm Serious, Stop Following Me!!

Offline Oblique

• Regular Poster
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 04:59:43 AM »

Why doesn't anyone ever remember Tesla for his death ray gun? Or, since he was a crazy guy, he called it a Peace Ray. You know, for killing people who don't like peace.

Maybe it left them in pieces?

But which is better, Thomas Edison's DC current, or Nikola Tesla AC current. Thers only one  way to find out FIIIIGGHHTTT!
(Actually, both have there uses, tho AC was a major break through in transmitting current over long distances)

Regards,
               Sp@rt101

Print