Print 

Author Topic: COD in a window = better FPS  (Read 3233 times)

Offline BFM_JANE

• Major
  • Despite the cost of living, it remains popular.
COD in a window = better FPS
« on: July 22, 2010, 07:13:32 PM »

I've been playing my COD in the window mode for a few days now. In addition to being able to easily do other stuffs on the computer while I wait to respawn (and I die a lot, so it's nice), I've been getting a much better FPS. Soooooo, I thought I'd put this out there for all our low FPS friends.

And I'm talking about actually low, not "ugh, I'm only getting like 80 frames a second". :P Before changing it to the window, I would get about 15-30 FPS. Now, I'm getting between 30-90 FPS. Things seem to move a lot faster!

I'm playing on the smallest window (or the lowest resolution), the 640x480 or whatever it is. The image is pretty clear (or as clear as it will get with all the settings turned down) and the window is pretty small.

<   Click for almost full size.

That's how it looks on the desktop, kinda small. Could probably stand to have it a bit bigger (i.e. higher resolution).

With it being so small, the text you can see at the middle bottom is a little distorted but the chat is fine, and it can be hard to see things in the distance. In the screenshot, the spectatee is standing on the roof on Broadcast looking at that sniper building. I don't think anyone's there...

The SS isn't as clear as I saw it, it's only 1024xSomething and my desktop is 1440xSomething, but you get the idea.

Anyway, it's something to try if your game seems a little jumpy due to low FPS. I don't know if there's a way to switch to window mode in the options menu, I didn't see one at least. You can do it through the console.

If you want to see how it looks:

Press the tilde key ( ~ ) to open the console.
Type /r_fullscreen 0 and press Enter.
Type /vid_restart and press Enter.

That will refresh everything and apply your new setting. You can do it on the menu screen or even while you're dead and waiting, it shouldn't kick you out. After that, you can change the screen resolution by going to Options > Graphics > Video Mode at the top. The lower the resolution, the smaller the window.

If you hate it and want to go back:

Press the tilde key to open the console.
Type /r_fullscreen 1 and press Enter.
Type /quit and press Enter.

The vid_restart doesn't quite work to refresh it, so you'll have to exit the game (/quit) and restart it.

Offline Fraggle

• Posts Too Much
  • Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional!
Re: COD in a window = better FPS
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 08:09:15 PM »
Sounds good Jane... I frequently get 15-30 FPS so i'll try it out tomorrow (after some sleepz)
Many thanks to BFM_MiG for the awesometastic siggy!!
Quote from: BFM_JANE
It's just like life! Except with more rockets!

~ӺƦ∂פ₲Ļĕ
Quote from: some random person somewhere
When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin.
It works not because it settles the question for you, but because in that brief moment when the coin is in the air...

...You suddenly know what you are hoping for!

Offline Cuda

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 08:25:10 PM »
Jane, thank you so much for posting this as I have tried to go to window mode but could not find how to do it. I always had to leave the game to see xfire, etc. I cant wait to try this!         

Thanks Jane!      :hug:

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 04:32:28 AM »

Thanks JANE.  Nice to be able to play in a window sometimes. 

Offline Goalie

• Posts Too Much
  • Congrats Jordan Lynch, 3rd place in Heisman!!!
    • York Set/Tech Crew
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 04:53:14 PM »
I got maybe 3 fps better when playing in a window.  The graphics are a lot better and smoother though, I might try this when more people are in the server as well.
You blame me?  Remember it had to get past 10 other players before I saw the ball.

Thanks to Spidey for this sig!                                                                                                                  .

Offline MrTŠ

• Posts Too Much
  • Horses just naturally have Mohawk haircuts.
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 11:47:21 AM »
Got to try this. It works for halo so why havnt I tried it with cod yet? ^^
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 05:21:21 PM by BFM_MrTŠ »

Print