Print 

Author Topic: 120mm plug into cpu fan spot?  (Read 3122 times)

Offline Boogieman

• Junior Poster
120mm plug into cpu fan spot?
« on: August 17, 2010, 04:52:44 PM »
ok i have a 120MM blue light up fan.. its VERY loud.. i took it off and put in a different 120MM and its just as loud and ive been reading and its because it has a 4 bin connector but im plugging it into the CHA_FAN1 spot which is only 3 pins.. SO its not using the temp/speed wire so its running full speed at ALL times.. ANNOYING...

so my question is.. IF the wire will reach.. if i plug the actual CPU fan into the CHA_FAN1 spot so that it just runs full speed at all times.. and plug the 120mm into the CPU fan spot so it'll just maybe quiet down? would this be ok or do you think it'd hurt anything? my thinking was if the cpu fan is running full speed at all times it'd keep the cpu cooler so therefore itd keep the 120mm at a lower speed?

probably wrong on this and i hope it all made sense.. just wondering if it'd work.
My lug nuts require more torque than your Honda makes.

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
  • Never backward,           always forward!
    • My 5th Dimensional Homepage
Re: 120mm plug into cpu fan spot?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 05:55:28 PM »

No.

ONLY use the CPU fan connector for your CPU fan.

As for the rest of what you said: MOST (ok, only every one that I've ever purchased) add-on fans that are thermally speed controlled HAVE THE THERMAL CONTROLLER BUILT INTO THEM, and are three-pin.

If you bought a four-pin fan, then you have to have a board with four-pin fan connectors to make use of pulse-width modulation and connecting them via special on-board connectors so the board can manage the fan through special circuitry.

I doubt very much that you bought a thermostatic fan, so I won't go into that here....

Take it back and get a three-pin fan with thermal control, or with an external speed controlling switch.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 05:58:40 PM by MrMxyzptlk »
Mr. Mxy's current Word Corner word is catachresis    

Offline Boogieman

• Junior Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 06:02:20 PM »

No.

ONLY use the CPU fan connector for your CPU fan.

As for the rest of what you said: MOST (ok, only every one that I've ever purchased) add-on fans that are thermally speed controlled HAVE THE THERMAL CONTROLLER BUILT INTO THEM, and are three-pin.

If you bought a four-pin fan, then you have to have a board with four-pin fan connectors to make use of pulse-width modulation and connecting them via special on-board connectors so the board can manage the fan through special circuitry.

I doubt very much that you bought a thermostatic fan, so I won't go into that here....

Take it back and get a three-pin fan with thermal control, or with an external speed controlling switch.

eh just as i figured.. but thought id get a bit more advice on it.. eh my light up one i got off newegg for like $5 and this other one i got free out of my girls old computer when i just built her new one. ill just keep em around for.. something.. i unno what. but something.. or maybe just buy a super quiet 120mm.. i know my friend has one like mine but his is like SUPER quiet.. or i can just get used to the sound.. i dealt with it for a few months already.. maybe it'll just grow on me lol.

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 08:32:49 PM »

In that case I'd highly recommend a fan from silenx.

They're the only ones I put in my builds now.

Worth a few extra bucks....

Offline Boogieman

• Junior Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2010, 08:47:08 PM »

In that case I'd highly recommend a fan from silenx.

They're the only ones I put in my builds now.

Worth a few extra bucks....

if its quiet and doesnt have this high WHINING sound i think itd def be worth the extra money.. i just like my stuff being cool :D i can fit 2 on the side (1 80mm and 1 120mm or 80mm and i choose 120 :D and on the back i can put either a 120mm or a 80mm... then the 80mm in the front.. i just like my stuff to stay cool... but it'd be nice to have silence :D lol.

Offline MrMxyzptlk

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 08:51:09 AM »

A 120mm fan on the back will do a lot more than any fan on the side at all.  And 120mm fans are quieter than 80mm fans, in general.

I'd skip the side fan completely.  In my testing they do very little.  Keeping front-to-back flow seems to work best, overall.

Offline Boogieman

• Junior Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 08:59:53 AM »

A 120mm fan on the back will do a lot more than any fan on the side at all.  And 120mm fans are quieter than 80mm fans, in general.

I'd skip the side fan completely.  In my testing they do very little.  Keeping front-to-back flow seems to work best, overall.

maybe ill try puttin the 120mm on the back and just keep 80's on the side.. the 80s i got are pretty quiet.. as for the 120's ill try one on the back and then get one of those ones u suggested :D thx for all the help :D

Offline Taipan™

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 10:09:27 PM »
Front intake and top exhaust is proven to be the best configuration. Side fans are fairly useless unless ob-course the case is turned on its side. You can buy fan speed controllers that mount similar to a CD/DVD drive. That way you can turn the fans up max when doing intensive tasks and down for quiet operation at night.

Or for no fans go oil cooling :P

Offline Boogieman

• Junior Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 10:13:01 PM »
well i could cut a hole in the top of my case lol.. but i do have the 80mm front intake .. so i could just put the 120mm on the back to it pushes it out.. or just run all 80's since my PSU has a huge fan anyways. :D might b nice to sleep in quiet :D

Offline ËQINÖX

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 10:16:08 AM »

I'd skip the side fan completely.  In my testing they do very little.

Side fans are fairly useless unless

I would disagree with with both these statments totaly partly from my own experiance profesionaly building PCs and also its undeniable fact that even with a front inword fan and an extraction fan at the rear you always get stangnant air flow with in the case places this happens most is around ram / sound card even around the cpy ironicly and tests have proven not only in my own pc but with in customers PCs that adding a side input fan can disipait the stangnant air and also aid direct airflow to both cpu / memory and card slot area ( depending on location of fans) in my comp under load the side mounted 120mm fan is positioned part over my cpu and part over my ram and with it running lowers the cpu by up to 10c and the ram by around 5c and my tricore phenom 2 under heavy load rairly goes over 27c but disconect the side fan and it shoots up to around 35c and the case ambient temp sees a simular increase.

As for going super silent its good to note that if its makeing a noise its doing a job and giveing good airflow and if its not makeing a noise well its still doing a job but the air flow is greatly reduced and going super silent often renders the fan pointless as its its air flow is to low to be of practicle use so you have to find a ballance between airflow or silent but you cant have both. I would recomend a ones by akasa the one i have alows for manual speed control but it also alows the system to increase the speed when a target temprature has been reached this alows it to run reasonably silant provideing good airflow and in the even the system dus heat up the mobo can auto increas the RPM of the fan

Offline Boogieman

• Junior Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 10:51:18 AM »

As for going super silent its good to note that if its makeing a noise its doing a job and giveing good airflow and if its not makeing a noise well its still doing a job but the air flow is greatly reduced and going super silent often renders the fan pointless as its its air flow is to low to be of practicle use so you have to find a ballance between airflow or silent but you cant have both. I would recomend a ones by akasa the one i have alows for manual speed control but it also alows the system to increase the speed when a target temprature has been reached this alows it to run reasonably silant provideing good airflow and in the even the system dus heat up the mobo can auto increas the RPM of the fan
[/quote]

eh it makes the noise all the time cuz its a 4 pin plug and its plugged into a 3 pin on the mobo side so the temp/speed control like mxy said is not in use so it just runs full at all times.. and it blows right over my 5770 and part of my cpu (the 120mm does) and right above is the 80mm.. if ya'll would like to see how my system is set up i can take pics and upload em.. give better idea of how i got things set up lol.

Offline Taipan™

• Posts Too Much
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 04:18:19 AM »

I'd skip the side fan completely.  In my testing they do very little.

Side fans are fairly useless unless

I would disagree with with both these statments totaly partly from my own experiance profesionaly building PCs and also its undeniable fact that even with a front inword fan and an extraction fan at the rear you always get stangnant air flow with in the case places this happens most is around ram / sound card even around the cpy ironicly and tests have proven not only in my own pc but with in customers PCs that adding a side input fan can disipait the stangnant air and also aid direct airflow to both cpu / memory and card slot area ( depending on location of fans) in my comp under load the side mounted 120mm fan is positioned part over my cpu and part over my ram and with it running lowers the cpu by up to 10c and the ram by around 5c and my tricore phenom 2 under heavy load rairly goes over 27c but disconect the side fan and it shoots up to around 35c and the case ambient temp sees a simular increase.

From my experience in building computers I have tested the full load tempreature of a CPU with Prime95 with and without a side fan and I found that it provided little or no change it total full load tempreature. My thoughts are that the CPU fan itself is already displacing this "stagnant" air that you speak off. Also depending on the orientation of your CPU heatsink and fan it could have negative affects due to the the side fan disrupting the CPU fans push-pull orinentation. You basically create a superposition senario. Therefore having a side fan over the CPU would be useless. HOWEVER having a side fan directly over the graphic card would make much more sense.

Offline Boogieman

• Junior Poster
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2010, 09:33:25 AM »

[/quote]

From my experience in building computers I have tested the full load tempreature of a CPU with Prime95 with and without a side fan and I found that it provided little or no change it total full load tempreature. My thoughts are that the CPU fan itself is already displacing this "stagnant" air that you speak off. Also depending on the orientation of your CPU heatsink and fan it could have negative affects due to the the side fan disrupting the CPU fans push-pull orinentation. You basically create a superposition senario. Therefore having a side fan over the CPU would be useless. HOWEVER having a side fan directly over the graphic card would make much more sense.
[/quote]

the 120mm right now goes over the GFX but the 80mm above the 120 dont believe does.. but i may just put a 80mm back int he 120mm spot and put the 120 in the back... er wait.. crp i cant.. the 80mm i have left is a 3pin connection so therefore itd take up that spot for the 120mm plug in.. ugh.. guess i could just run all 80mm's...

Print