Print 

Author Topic: Which of these 2 power supplies should i get?  (Read 6338 times)

Offline Bleak

• Junior Poster
  • RUN! LIVE TO FLY! FLY TO LIVE! ACES HIGH!
Re: Which of these 2 power supplies should i get?
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2010, 04:37:48 PM »
Take a look at this, eqinox.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4061/amds-radeon-hd-6970-radeon-hd-6950/24
Running 2 GTX 480s at full blast on Furmark with an OC'd i7 is Less than 700w system total. A 5770 on the same system running Furmark is Less than 300w system total.

Thanks to Trael!

Offline ËQINÖX

• Regular Poster
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2010, 04:56:51 PM »
Take a look at this, eqinox.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/4061/amds-radeon-hd-6970-radeon-hd-6950/24
Running 2 GTX 480s at full blast on Furmark with an OC'd i7 is Less than 700w system total. A 5770 on the same system running Furmark is Less than 300w system total.

indeed from these test it apears that its running lower than 300w tho i did notice that they are useing software power throtling  to reduse the power useage tho when you do this the operational performance takes a nosedive and in a gameing rig this wouldent be a workable solusion to restrict your GPU in this manner. As i was saying in the other post it all depends what card he has and its requirments but all the ones i have seen need 450w / 500w minimum to reprosent a stable system

http://xfxforce.com/en-gb/products/graphiccards/hd%205000series/5770.aspx?lang=en-gb#2

http://www.cyprus-pc.com/cyprus/p-xfxhd-577a-znda-ati-radeon-hd-5770-6748

In the case of power supplys its better to have more power than you need than just enuf or not enuf and when a power supply is only just enuff to power a system under heavly load that PSU is working over time and may end up produceing durty power that ultimutly damages the mobo and other components
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 05:01:52 PM by bfm_ËQINÖX »

Offline Boogieman

• Junior Poster
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2010, 04:57:23 PM »
im going to have to say... i would DEFINITELY not go by that if it is wats.. as i had a 550 watt and it fried that puppy in not even 2 months.. i run 4 fans.. 2 of em are LED... 3 are 80mm and 1 is 120mm.. soon i might be adding another 120mm.. plus my 2 hard drives... and my 2 dvd drives.. my Athlon x2 6000+ (overclocked to max stable settings)... i only went from a 550 to a 620 modular and its already been worn out by this equipment lol. plus i run my main screen for diags.. like temps n whatnot.. then i run my HDMI port to my 32inch tv for playing games n whatnot.. :)
My lug nuts require more torque than your Honda makes.

Offline Bleak

• Junior Poster
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2010, 05:28:46 PM »
im going to have to say... i would DEFINITELY not go by that if it is wats.. as i had a 550 watt and it fried that puppy in not even 2 months.. i run 4 fans.. 2 of em are LED... 3 are 80mm and 1 is 120mm.. soon i might be adding another 120mm.. plus my 2 hard drives... and my 2 dvd drives.. my Athlon x2 6000+ (overclocked to max stable settings)... i only went from a 550 to a 620 modular and its already been worn out by this equipment lol. plus i run my main screen for diags.. like temps n whatnot.. then i run my HDMI port to my 32inch tv for playing games n whatnot.. :)
Keep in mind the seasonic 520w has 40A on the 12V Rail. That's more than enough for that system.

Thanks to Trael!

Offline Boogieman

• Junior Poster
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2010, 05:33:35 PM »
the ultra LSP has 45 on the 12 lol? and its a 750 for the same price as a seasonic.. but the 850watt kingwin is 850 for cheaper than both of them and no shipping lol. ugh i wish stuff was free lol

Offline Bleak

• Junior Poster
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2010, 06:56:25 PM »
the ultra LSP has 45 on the 12 lol? and its a 750 for the same price as a seasonic.. but the 850watt kingwin is 850 for cheaper than both of them and no shipping lol. ugh i wish stuff was free lol
It's clearly not a 750w PSU then.

Wattage means nothing if the PSU has it all on the wrong rails.More Wattage=/= better, keep that in mind. PSU's are most efficient at around 50% of their capacity provided it's an efficient PSU (ie 80 Plus Bronze or higher).
There's also something to say about component and build quality. Seasonic only uses Nippon Chemicon capacitors rated at 2,000hrs @ 105C. Very, very low ripple from those PSU's, and they built/build PSU's for a lot of the big name "high quality" brands like the high end Corsair ones, Antec's High Current (although I think that might be CWT) and Truepower New series, and others.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 06:59:36 PM by PR_Bleak »

Thanks to Trael!

Offline Boogieman

• Junior Poster
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2010, 07:11:03 PM »
sounds good and maybe one day ill look at them?... but for now the 2 i found are the ones within my budget and as high of a wattage as has been recommended to me.. so maybe the 850 kingwin would be best? plus witha  1 yr warrantty.. within a year probably upgrade anyways lol..

Offline Bleak

• Junior Poster
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2010, 07:33:51 PM »
sounds good and maybe one day ill look at them?... but for now the 2 i found are the ones within my budget and as high of a wattage as has been recommended to me.. so maybe the 850 kingwin would be best? plus witha  1 yr warrantty.. within a year probably upgrade anyways lol..
Let me repeat this: You don't need 850w. You need a 500w PSU. Even if you grabbed another HD5770, you'd still probably not have to upgrade from a 500w PSU, provided it's decent.
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=185 There's JonnyGuru's review of the S12II 520. It got a 9.5/10.
Brands to look at are: Antec, Corsair (not builder series), Seasonic, Delta,

Thanks to Trael!

Offline Boogieman

• Junior Poster
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2010, 08:31:25 PM »
well i will have to look at them at a later time.. but as stated earlier.. about 5 times. . i have a budget and none of the ones you talked about are within my budget range.. hence the reason i chose the 2 i did to vote on.. 0_o.. thank you for the advice though.. i will definitely be looking at those at a later time when I have a bit more of a budget to spend on them :).

Offline Bleak

• Junior Poster
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2010, 08:42:01 PM »
well i will have to look at them at a later time.. but as stated earlier.. about 5 times. . i have a budget and none of the ones you talked about are within my budget range.. hence the reason i chose the 2 i did to vote on.. 0_o.. thank you for the advice though.. i will definitely be looking at those at a later time when I have a bit more of a budget to spend on them :).
So what's your exact budget? about $65? Let me see what I can find on the egg. If so, take a look at this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341022

After rebate, it's about $60.

Thanks to Trael!

Offline BFM_saes

• BFM Admin
  • oops....
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2010, 02:42:51 AM »
I agree with Bleak about Seasonic; for a mid to high-end system, I'd spend the extra $$ and make sure I had a decent PSU. (I personally bought a Corsair PSU manufactured by Seasonic)

Offline Boogieman

• Junior Poster
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2010, 03:26:47 AM »
if i had the extra money to get it i would.. :(

Offline BFM_saes

• BFM Admin
  • oops....

Offline Boogieman

• Junior Poster
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2010, 11:36:41 AM »
LOL... thats 84.64 with shipping and believe it or not.. lol.. that is LITERALLY... 5 cents.. yes CENTS.. more than i have in my paypal lol.. *facepalm*.. but im closing my paypal acct soon so i wont be putting more money into it which is why i have my budget lol.

Offline Bleak

• Junior Poster
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2010, 11:57:15 AM »
I agree with Bleak about Seasonic; for a mid to high-end system, I'd spend the extra $$ and make sure I had a decent PSU. (I personally bought a Corsair PSU manufactured by Seasonic)
+1.
If there's one thing I've learned through all the "OMG HALP MY COMPUTOR DOESNT WORK HALP" threads I've seen on other forums, it's that skimping on the PSU is never a good idea.

But really honestly, anything made by Seasonic, Delta, or CWT should be fine.

Thanks to Trael!

Print