Print 

Author Topic: The Race Numbers Thread  (Read 5683 times)

Offline HLN Rockhpc

• Regular Poster
  • gun me
The Race Numbers Thread
« on: January 07, 2011, 08:27:03 AM »
Greetings!  This thread is intended to discuss the numbers relevant to Halo Race.  Some of you may find this interesting and maybe even useful.  I got a bit bored and figured that I would take some notes on each of the maps and figure out the distances and speeds in racing.

Here is how long each of the racing tracks are.  I just took the distance between navs and added them all together, although you can rarely travel in perfectly straight lines between navs.  Lastly, there isn't a perfect way to measure so I may be off by a couple of meters on each nav point.

I ordered them shortest to longest, but it's not a great representation due to not traveling between navs in straight lines.

RANKMAPTRACK LENGTHNAVS IN TRACK
#1Timberland658.9 m6
#2Gephyrophobia738 m6
#3Danger Canyon895.2 m6
#4Blood Gulch942.5 m5
#5Ice Fields1012.4 m4
#6Sidewinder1125.3 m5
#7Death Island1206.5 m14
#8Infinity1637.5 m6

Additionally, I took each of those track distances and divided them by my best laptime (found
HERE)to tell how quickly I can move across each of the maps.  I'm talking about how many meters per second the hog is moving toward each nav on average.  Again, the numbers are thrown off a bit because I assumed moving in straight lines to the navs, which you don't, and there's nothing I can do about it.

I hypothesized that the maps that I traveled slowest on are the hardest ones.

I ranked them in order of my hog's average speed while completing the track.

RANKMAPMETERS PER SECOND
PWNA Launched Rocket34.00
#0A Hog25.00
#1Death Island21.71
#2Infinity16.45
#3Blood Gulch15.35
#4Ice Fields14.70
#5Timberland14.17
#6Gephyrophobia13.53
#7Sidewinder13.14
#8Danger Canyon11.84

Well what do you know?  Danger Canyon is the most inefficient on gas!  I imagined it would be Sidewinder (my favorite map btw).  I think everyone guessed that Death Island is the easiest, as well as the best on gas.  Sheesh!

I'll just be cruising around on my launched rocket, leaving you guys in my smoke!  =]
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 11:54:27 AM by PR_Tyrael »

Offline Lucky

• Posts Too Much
  • Just do what makes you happy. JKLOL
Re: The Race Numbers Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 11:06:16 AM »
Wow, that's some useful information!  :)

Offline Joel

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 06:27:51 PM »
ya lots of small jumps on danger canyon that slow you down i think thats why

BFM_Enoch: "Joel the Jaguar the juggles jets"

Thanks to -Lostmymind-

Offline HLN Rockhpc

• Regular Poster
  • gun me
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 11:12:57 PM »
ya lots of small jumps on danger canyon that slow you down i think thats why

Yeah there's an elevation problem there.  The bases are way higher than the middle of the map.  Also, to travel between the bases, you really go a long ways out of your way.  It's similar to Sidewinder in that there is a tunnel system, but you can't travel between the bases in a hog with it, so it's basically useless and really messes up the numbers for that map.

*looks it over again*

Plus I think I missed a nav on that one and that would explain a lot.  I have 5 navs and it's actually 6.  /fixes that

*looks over it AGAIN*

After fixing my mistake it's still the worst.  >.<  lol
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 11:22:48 PM by PR_Tyrael »

Offline Joel

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 11:49:40 PM »
btw how did you measure the distance between each nav Sniper rifle?

Thanks to -Lostmymind-

Offline HLN Rockhpc

• Regular Poster
  • gun me
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 05:20:02 AM »
Every time I got a nav... I just stood right on that nav and looked at the next one.  It has a distance counter on it (mine does anyway).  I just carefully wrote down each of those numbers for each nav and added em together.  It seems simple but it was kinda tedious too.

For the hog and rocket speeds, I stood a certain distance away from a nav and used a stopwatch as the rocket or hog (whatever the case may be) approaches the nav.  I wish I had 3 hands for this, but I think I came through pretty accurately.  The rockets go either 34 or 35 m/s... it's hard to tell.  Anyway maybe it was interesting to learn that a rocket goes 40% faster than a hog at full speed.  That's actually how this whole thing started.

I noticed one more thing...  That second blue table also seems to be ranked in order of how interesting the maps tend to be.  Death island is pretty dull (Infinity is a close 2nd), and obviously danger canyon consistently has the most carnage and that one is never a dull moment.  The rest of them pretty much seem to fall into place somewhere between.  
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 11:57:20 AM by PR_Tyrael »

Offline MufnMan

• Senior Poster
  • Do You Know The MufnMan?
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 03:23:30 PM »
Yeah, that does sound really tedious but hey! You come up with some very interesting information! Good Work Dude! Very Cool!  :)

54.77    62.93    46.97    77.27    68.80    55.83    99.93    89.77

"Live in the present,remember the past,and fear not the future,for it doesn't exist and never shall. There is only now."
-Saphira/Eldest-

“We're so busy watching out for what's just ahead of us that we don't take time to enjoy where we are.”
-Calvin&Hobbes-

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
-John Lennon-

Offline Joel

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 01:56:20 AM »
lol thats different for me death island is my favorite i love to just driiiiiiiiiiiive  ;D

Thanks to -Lostmymind-

Offline BFM_Ben1

• BFM Admin
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 02:53:44 AM »
Well tbh Sidewinders probably the hardest to drive on quickly, owing to the second and third cliff which if u misstime or lagg on really mess up your lap time :)

Thanks to Spood for this sig!

Awards won:

Aussie Scrims Team dStruct- Season VI Champions
Season 21 Captain Scrims- All Star
Season 21 Captain Scrims- Star Rookie
Season 22 Captain Scrims- MVP
Season 22 Captain Scrims- Most Improved
Season 22 Captain Scrims- All Star

Offline BFM_SWiFT

• BFM Admin
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 04:57:03 AM »
Awesome thread Tyrael. You must have had heaps of spare time on your hands! :P

Offline HLN Rockhpc

• Regular Poster
  • gun me
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 05:12:06 AM »
Awesome thread Tyrael. You must have had heaps of spare time on your hands! :P

*laughs hysterically*

It's sad, but it's true

I also wanna post about the relationship between the hog and a launched rocket.  Sometimes on the big open maps (the big open part of sidewinder near the lap nav) you have to shoot at a hog from a long distance away.  If you figure that the hog travels about 75% as fast as the rocket does, that knowledge gives you a better idea of where to aim your rocket.  Or maybe you want to think of it as the rocket moves 36% farther in the same amount of time.  

Here, I'll try to help with a drawing:

(my art skills are awesome and these distances aren't real measurements)

The rocket hog is shooting 136 meters distance and the chain hog (not evading) is driving 100 meters.  The 2 things end up colliding and you have a kill, since the rocket goes 34 m/s and the hog goes 25 m/s.  Maybe it'll help some people to be able to consciously know the proportion between these two things.  Others just shoot by feel.  Personally, I shoot by feel but I also like having information at my disposal.  

That's probably the most useful bit of information that I can gather from this thread and I want to share that with everyone.  Don't forget to account for lag, too (and evasive drivers)!  Yeah, I made a complicated thing overly simple (or maybe even more confusing), but I can't help it.  *shrug*

If 1 reader becomes a slightly better gunner, this post was a success in my opinion.   :LOL:
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 08:15:43 AM by PR_Tyrael »

Offline ËQINÖX

• Regular Poster
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2011, 06:01:05 AM »
Good thread and its simular to what i use to get rocket kills tho i didnt know about all the exact numbers involved. I just had a rough idea of how fast the rocket traveled compared to a hog and would would target the area infront of it and then adjust again for lag ( lag is the hardest to adjust for but i find by the second lap i have learned everyones lag and can adjust my shots to hit most of the time)

Offline BFM_Kiwi

• Major
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2011, 10:43:13 PM »

Good work there!

I don't understand why Infinity is slower than Death Island.  You can drive pretty much flat out on both of them. 

I've always wondered something and was too lazy to check it out.  When you drive into the water on Death Island, does it slow you down at all?  I always find myself swerving back onto the sand, even though I doubt it makes any difference.  :embarrassing:

Offline TUR80

• Posts Too Much
  • ME NEEDS MORE TUR80 IN MY HOG
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2011, 01:08:07 AM »
is it just me or does someone have way too much time

Timeline of TUR80
Late 2009-Got Halo
Played Funhouse (as TUR805L4Y3R)
Played Omegas Oddball(as A Vehicle)
Discovered BFM (Loved It)
23/07/2010-Became PR and changed name to TUR80
26/07/2010-Corperal assigned - LEGO and then Tails
17/09/2010- Got Xfire (thanks Fuzzy for the introduction)
19/09/2010- Vent Access Given (thanks Zakk)
30/12/2010- Got Little Tags(thanks Xplode and Slim)
Trainers assigned Xplode(1st) and Terra(2nd)
23/02/2011- dStruct assigned Trainer(1st)
1/4/2011 - resigned
20/4/2011 - 1000 posts
5/1/2013 - Re- Applied
16/3/2013 - Vent Access Again (Thanks Enigma)
   Famous Quotes
Don't get mad, get even
If at first you dont sucseed, destroy all evidence that you tried
It is official, I am a spammer :)

Offline HLN Rockhpc

• Regular Poster
  • gun me
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2011, 07:40:22 PM »

Good work there!

I don't understand why Infinity is slower than Death Island.  You can drive pretty much flat out on both of them. 

I've always wondered something and was too lazy to check it out.  When you drive into the water on Death Island, does it slow you down at all?  I always find myself swerving back onto the sand, even though I doubt it makes any difference.  :embarrassing:

Infinity is pretty much flat out, but there aren't straight lines between all the navs.  Traveling in a curved line and swerving for the "smoothest" path slows you down.

The water doesn't slow you down at all.  In fact, I'd argue that it's faster because there's no obstructions in the path.  It's perfectly flat "ground" just like Gephyrophobia.

Print